OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Certain (Turkish) characters not visible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
towsonu2003
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: weird font problem Reply with quote

I'm having a weird font problem with this installation method...

When I use Century Gothic, Turkish characters (like ğ, İ, ş etc) are not visible (instead of them, I have double spaces inside the words).

With my distro's openoffice (Ubuntu 6.06) however, the same file that contains the same Turkish characters with the same font are perfectly visible.

How is this possible? thanks
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: weird font problem Reply with quote

towsonu2003 wrote:
When I use Century Gothic, Turkish characters (like ğ, İ, ş etc) are not visible (instead of them, I have double spaces inside the words).

With my distro's openoffice (Ubuntu 6.06) however, the same file that contains the same Turkish characters with the same font are perfectly visible.

That's strange. I have a few ideas. First, open a blank document and check (a) that you can type the characters (no copy and paste) and (b) that in a blank document you can choose the same font. Then, try the same characters in a different font.

My guesses are that it's either a problem with the font or a Ubuntu system library. For example, this shows that OpenOffice.org links to a certain version of libfreetype:

Code:
$ ldd /opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/soffice.bin  | grep free
        libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (0x01423000)

If you don't have /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 or if the Ubuntu people did something weird to it Smile , then you may have font problems. (I'm just guessing about Freetype. I'm not much of a Ubuntu user.)

Also, you might also other Ubuntu users if they have the same issue, and in any case, if you post your final solution here (or anything you figure out), that would be nice.
towsonu2003
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: weird font problem Reply with quote

ahz wrote:
First, open a blank document and check (a) that you can type the characters (no copy and paste) and (b) that in a blank document you can choose the same font.

weird, the font that the author of the problematic document uses (Century Gothic) is not present in neither copies of OOo I have... That is, when I open a blank document in either versions, Century Gothic is not in there...

Does the .odt document carries its own font information, even the font itself? If it does, than maybe Ubuntu's OOo can read that font info properly while the OOo 2.1 version I'm using can't, for some reason. I'm confused
ahz wrote:

Code:
$ ldd /opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/soffice.bin  | grep free
        libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (0x01423000)

If you don't have /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6

It seems things are okay in that front:
Code:

~$ ldd /opt/openoffice/program/soffice.bin | grep free
        libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (0xb6a22000)
~$ ls -l /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2006-08-12 10:36 /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 -> libfreetype.so.6.3.8

ahz wrote:

Also, you might also other Ubuntu users if they have the same issue, and in any case, if you post your final solution here (or anything you figure out), that would be nice.

I'll try posting there as well, but let me know if you have any ideas Smile
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: weird font problem Reply with quote

towsonu2003 wrote:
ahz wrote:
First, open a blank document and check (a) that you can type the characters (no copy and paste) and (b) that in a blank document you can choose the same font.

weird, the font that the author of the problematic document uses (Century Gothic) is not present in neither copies of OOo I have... That is, when I open a blank document in either versions, Century Gothic is not in there...

Does the .odt document carries its own font information, even the font itself? If it does, than maybe Ubuntu's OOo can read that font info properly while the OOo 2.1 version I'm using can't, for some reason. I'm confused

I think you are getting font substitution. OpenDocument (.odt) documents carries names of fonts, which may not exist on your system, but the documents do not actually contain the font itself. When the font is listed in a document but missing on the system, OpenOffice.org picks a substitute based on the configuration in Tools->Options->Fonts. In there, you can tell it to use font X when the document calls for font Y.

One way to install a URW Gothic font is to use the File->Wizard->install Fonts feature. This font would be similar in appearance and metrics, but it would have a different name.
towsonu2003
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: weird font problem Reply with quote

ahz wrote:

I think you are getting font substitution. OpenDocument (.odt) documents carries names of fonts, which may not exist on your system, but the documents do not actually contain the font itself. When the font is listed in a document but missing on the system, OpenOffice.org picks a substitute based on the configuration in Tools->Options->Fonts. In there, you can tell it to use font X when the document calls for font Y.

that was some great help! I added century gothic -> urw gothic (screen only) in the Tools->Options->Fonts and everything seems to working right.

I still don't know why the local install couldn't do the thing properly (even though they both use the same profile), but at least it's fixed. thanks a lot Smile

PS> the URW font wasn't available via the wizard. I don't remember how, but I seem to install it some time ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: