OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Hide Grid/Borders in selected area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baba
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Hide Grid/Borders in selected area Reply with quote

In Excel you can select an area - Format -Cells - Patterns and choose white. The cell borders/grid lines in the selected are will not be visible. How do you do that in CALC?
Dale
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Format Cells > Borders....
does exactly what you want. Better yet, Create a Cell Style and apply it to the appropriate cells.

OOo documentation from the source
http://documentation.openoffice.org
Guides, FAQ, How Tos
baba
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I still can't get it to happen. I am selecting an area on a sheet. Then Format cells, Borders. I can get borders around the outside of the block of cells but I can't find any selection to blank out all the grid lines in the selected area. Could you help some more.

Dale wrote:
does exactly what you want. Better yet, Create a Cell Style and apply it to the appropriate cells.
Dale
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Format Cells dialog, you've got to tell Calc explicitly that you want to set the outer and inner borders. Hopefully the image shows how:

PS - Fogot to add: To see the image your browser will have to be set to accept off-site images.

OOo documentation from the source
http://documentation.openoffice.org
Guides, FAQ, How Tos
baba
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it out. You select a border around all the cells then set the color the same as the background color (white).

However this does not work the same as Excel or give the results I want. In Excel when you choose Format Cells, Patterns, Cell Shding, it sets the background color (white if you want) AND blocks the grid lines. That way it does not interfere with any desired cell border formatting you have, just blocks the grid lines (what I want).

In CALC doing the closest thing, Format Cells, Borders, if you make them white in an area you also lose all the intended border formatting. Apparently in Excel, grid lines and borders are two different things. In CALC they are not. I tried setting the background color in CALC but it lets the grid lines show through. Frustrating.

Dale wrote:
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baba wrote:
Apparently in Excel, grid lines and borders are two different things. In CALC they are not.

How do you figure that? I can have a grid line set as default, yet have borders on selected cells as thick, or double, or whatever. That makes them distinct from one another. The grid lines, in general for the sheet, can be set in the Options / Calc / View.

Is your concern the screen appearance, or the printout appearance, or both? The approach to each solution might be different.

David.
baba
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found another long thread on this subject http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=197208#197208

As an example of what you can't do (or tedious),, I have a spreadsheet in Excel that is an income tax form. It has lots of borders. In Excel you cannot see the grid lines at all in the area of the form. This was done (in Excel) by Format, Cells, Patterns, white. In Excel when you set a pattern color (any color) (equivalent in CALC is Background), the gridlines do not show through. So when I imported this document to CALC, the gridlines show. The only way in calc to selectively hide the gridlines is to make them white. Then you can't go in to that cell and make some of the borders black (I think). Creating a cell syle makes it quicker to hide all the grid lines in an area but it will also eliminate any intended partial borders.

So, the big difference between CALC and EXCEL, intended or not, is does cell shading (when you select a range of cells) hide the gridlines or not.

I am still pretty new at this and I run into these subtle differences between CALC and EXCEL. So, I am still using these forums a lot. I really appreciate the expert replies from you and others.

David wrote:
baba wrote:
Apparently in Excel, grid lines and borders are two different things. In CALC they are not.

How do you figure that? I can have a grid line set as default, yet have borders on selected cells as thick, or double, or whatever. That makes them distinct from one another. The grid lines, in general for the sheet, can be set in the Options / Calc / View.

Is your concern the screen appearance, or the printout appearance, or both? The approach to each solution might be different.

David.
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baba wrote:
Creating a cell syle makes it quicker to hide all the grid lines in an area but it will also eliminate any intended partial borders.

Hard formatting will override cell styles.

An option you could look at for "forms" such as you describe is Format >Auto Format. You need to select a range in order to enable the command. You will see from the dialogue that you are able to add a format to those listed.
Jetro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry for this atrocious bump.

But Dale, how do you get a white selection rectangle - or a selection rectangle that is a contrast to the background? To you it's white, which shows nice against black cells, but to me it is black and I cannot actually see it on a black background. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: