OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Can I convert/read .wps (MS Works) files?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ngaimoko
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Can I convert/read .wps (MS Works) files? Reply with quote

I have a number of .wps MS Works files archived on my computer (some over a decade old), and also occasionally receive Works word processor files from more current Works versions. I don't seem to be able to open or convert either old or new files in Open Office. Is there any way I can access these files?
PromptJock
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can re-install your old Works package, do so and save your spreadsheets as comma-delimited files. Alternately, if the old Works package can save the files in Lotus 123 or Excel format, do that instead.

Assuming you can successfully re-save them as described above, take those re-saved files to OOo and do a File Import of the appropriate format (i.e. Lotus, Excel, CSV). Aside from any macros possibly not being preserved, OOo should be able to read those files enough for you to re-save them as OOo ".ODS" files, allowing you, if necessary, to reconstruct the original formatting and formulae.

Good luck and I hope this helps. NOTE: if I'm at all in error regarding my analysis, I HEARTILY look forward to being corrected, etc.! Smile
ngaimoko
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I no longer have a copy of Works, and was hoping not to have to buy one just for old files.

Many of the files I saved long ago will open in OO, albeit with garbled symbols before and after the text, and sometimes pages of nothing with scattered symbols afterward. Not convenient, but workable.

A .wps file I was e-mailed recently won't open at all. When I try to open it in OO, I'm asked for a "Filter Selection," but there is no option for Works. I do not get this screen when I try to open the older files I created.
Arineckaig
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do not have a copy of the MS Works program, I suggest you download the converter which permits the files to be save as MS Word. It will be found at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=B9E11E83-F51B-4977-B572-8C042DF802C1&displaylang=en

In the case of Works spreadsheet or database files the easiest way to bring them into OpenOffice calc is Select All - Copy - Paste
ngaimoko
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the website, downloaded the file and ran it, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Nothing loads, no program is visible, and there is no change when I try to open a file.

I'm surprised the OOo doesn't itself have a Works converter built in. I wonder if there are any plans for that.
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ngaimoko wrote:
I went to the website, downloaded the file and ran it, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Nothing loads, no program is visible, and there is no change when I try to open a file.

Out of curiosity although I have no Works document I gave the download and the instructions a try. And you're right. After the installation you don't have a new converter application. All you get is a converter (Works632.cnv) which is usable in MS Word (if you have that application). And if you don't have MS Word the Works converter is useless.

ngaimoko wrote:
I'm surprised the OOo doesn't itself have a Works converter built in. I wonder if there are any plans for that.

Read more on this topic here: http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=8938

Regards
hol.sten
geoff80fg
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just want to extract the text (for a basic recovery), you can do that from a text editor.
Even Notepad will show you what text is present. The text content is usually somewhere about two thirds of the way through all the "housekeeping" rigmarole which accompanies every Works document. To extract the text for other use you may have to perform a bit of massaging (or mangling).

Hope this helps.

Geoff
PromptJock
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I convert/read .wps (MS Works) files? Reply with quote

ngaimoko wrote:
I have a number of .wps MS Works files archived on my computer (some over a decade old), and also occasionally receive Works word processor files from more current Works versions. I don't seem to be able to open or convert either old or new files in Open Office. Is there any way I can access these files?

FWIW, I just did an "abandonware" search and came up with this link: ***

If this is legit, it's a full MSWorks 4 that you can download and, hopefully, run on your system.

CAVEAT: since Works 4 was a DOS program, it may not run on XP! therefore, you're "on your own" with it.

If, however, you have a Win 3.1 or Win95 machine handy with a CD-ROM (or better with a CD-RW), and this download is "legit" (i.e. it's complete and works), then you can install it on one of the above machines, take your incoming, etc. Works files to it via 3.5" floppy, use the Works to export them to other formats (i.e. Lotus or Excel for spreadsheets, "RTF" for documents, etc.), then port them back into OOo (via floppy or CD-R, if the old machine has a working CD-RW) for further work. Clumsy, but "what the hell?" if it works? Smile

*** Note from moderator (AndrewZ): The link removed raised a questions about possible legal consequences for the forum. Users should satisfy themselves about the legality and safety of software downloaded from *any* website.
Arineckaig
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I have no trouble using a legit copy of Works 4 and Works 4.5 on Windows XP
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My project libwps, which allows word processors to open Works documents, is being integrated into OpenOffice.org and AbiWord. Something should be available "soon-ish."

For more about various ways of opening Works documents, see also:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=21448

Quote:
FWIW, I just did an "abandonware" search and came up with this link:

Sorry, abandonware is a myth, so you are advocating a crime.
* BleachBit
</signature>
PromptJock
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewZ wrote:
Sorry, abandonware is a myth, so you are advocating a crime.

"Abandonware" is simply a term for previously-released software that is no longer supported by the "company" that originally produced it. In many cases, the original author(s)/company(ies) no longer exist, so for all intents and purposes the material is "freeware" in a small manner of typing.

In the case of Real Old Software produced by companies that still exist (i.e. Micro$not), I really don't think they CARE ONE WHIT their Real Old Software (i.e. MSDOS systems, GWBASIC, MS Works for DOS, QuickBasic for DOS, Multiplan, MS Word for DOS, Lotus 123, WordPerfect for DOS, dBase/RBase for DOS, many DOS games like "Commander Keen, Original Lemmings etal.") is being "distributed" on the aforementioned "abandonware" sites. If they did, THOSE SITES WOULD NOT EVEN BE IN EXISTENCE TODAY - they would've'en shut down YEARS AGO through successful litigation, etc.

Therefore, I respectfully disagree that I'm "advocating a crime". Rather, I'm simply providing a means for people to find TEMPORARY TOOLS so they can, as our original poster asked, better enjoy "OOo Nirvana" with their older (and ostensibly IRREPLACIBLE, ETC.) data. If it's something that bothers YOU PERSONALLY, then don't avail yourself to these things (and heaven help you if you find you might need one of these "abandonware" packages in the future: you'll have to then decide how much of a "hypocrite" you'll be at that time. Wink ). However, don't stand in the way of those who LEGITIMATELY NEED one of these "tools" so they can "bridge the gap" between their "OOo-unfriendly" data and OOo so they can make OOo a viable tool in their lives.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PromptJock wrote:
In many cases, the original author(s)/company(ies) no longer exist, so for all intents and purposes the material is "freeware" in a small manner of typing.

Sorry, that's false. Even according to the site which advocates abandonware called abandonwarering.com (the first site that shows up in Google's web search for "abandonware"), it is illegal.

Quote:
they would've'en shut down YEARS AGO[/b] through successful litigation, etc.

Some of them have been shut down, and for those that haven't, enforcement does not come hand in hand with breaking the law. Take for example P2P networks, people copying music CDs, driving 5 mph over the speed limit, and violations of open source software licenses.

Quote:
However, don't stand in the way of those who LEGITIMATELY NEED one of these "tools" so they can "bridge the gap" between their "OOo-unfriendly" data and OOo so they can make OOo a viable tool in their lives.

First, there are many options such buying an old copy of Works and the ideas already listed here. Second, a lack of options does not legitimize a crime, and sometimes, you don't get what you want.
* BleachBit
</signature>
Corfy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
There is no recognition of a legal term "abandonware" in copyright law. There is a long held concept of "abandonment" in trademark law, but it is a direct result of the infinite term of trademark protection. Currently, a copyright can be released into the public domain if the owner clearly does so in writing; however this formal process is not considered "abandoning," rather "releasing." Non-owners of a copyright cannot merely claim the copyright "abandoned" and start using it without permission of the copyright holder, who would then have a legal remedy.

Companies do sometimes voluntarily relinquish copyright on software, putting it into the public domain, or re-license it as free software or freeware (though freeware still keeps the copyright). ... Transfer of public domain or free software is perfectly legal, distinguishing it from abandonware.

...a copyright in the United States is protected by the full strength of the law until it expires, between 70 and 120 years after initial creation, giving the copyright owner the monopoly for the duration.... no software is old enough for its copyrights to have expired, and even in cases where the original company no longer exists, the rights usually still belong to someone else.

So yes, abandonware is illegal, unless the copyright holder of the software has officially released it to the public. And I seriously doubt Microsoft would be that generous.

But if you want to risk being fined up to $250,000, that is your decision, not mine.
PromptJock
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Can I convert/read .wps (MS Works) files? Reply with quote

ngaimoko wrote:

First of all, I want to PROFUSELY APOLOGISE that my attempt to help you sove your problem resulted in a "flame war" erupting.

Therefore, upon further reflection of the problem, I've come up with the following scenarios to try and solve your problem of OOo not being able to directly read MS Works Files.

SCENARIO 1
PURCHASE a legit copy of Microsoft Works 8.0 for Windows. This way, you will be able to directly utilise those Works files you currently have and those you keep receiving. This link will give you an idea of you much you'll spend: http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4116383?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG. Of course, with a "legit" (and "modern") Works package on your machine, there's probably no need for you to "Do The OOo" as you'll immediately be able to: 1) work directly work with the files you have and 2) you can directly work with the files you will get from your "supplier" and return them in their "native" format.

SCENARIO 2
This scenario, as has been revealed, will no doubt Be Very Distateful to some here. However, it assumes you are desirous of "Doing The OOo", but need to satisfy your IMMEDIATE requirement to process MS Works files. Therefore, you'll have to visit the "abandonware" site I suggested (or a similar site) and download/install the MS Works DOS version package on your machine. If it runs on your sytem, you can try to convert your "library" of MS Works files into something OOo can directly handle. Regardless of the success/failure of the attempt, once that chore is done, DELETE THE DOS MS-WORKS INSTALLATION FROM YOUR MACHINE and proceed to SCENARIO 3 below.

SCENARIO 3
Inform your "file supplier(s)" they'll have to: 1) Save their files in a more "universal" format (i.e. RTF or Word for documents, Lotus or Excel for spreadsheets) or 2) Join the "OOo Revolution" before sending them to you. Either way, they need to be informed you can no longer accept their files unless they're in a format you can process (i.e. OOo, Word, Excel). Unfortunately, this scenario doesn't solve your problem and it forces you to "bide your time", hoping the OOo Developers can create a usable "Works Convertor" so OOo can directly process those MS Works you currently have and those you expect to receive.

SCENARIO 4
This scenario allows you to have the "best of both worlds". Perform SCENARIO 1 to purchase/install Works For Windows on your machine and have it "coexist" with whatever version of OOo you already have. You can still "Do The OOo" while simultaneously handling those Works files you currently have/expect to get. You'll eventually decide whether ort not to keep "Doing the OOo", based on how often (or not) you use Works For Windows. As mentioned in the closing of SCENARIO 1, you may find Works For Windows is all you need and you can delete OOo from your system (make sure you first convert any OOo-generated files into something that, hopefully, Works For Windows can handle! Smile ).

Anyway, this is the best I can come up with to try and help you solve your problem.

I hope you have a Happy New Year, regardless of the "outcome"... Smile
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the newest Works applications do not open very old Works formats. IIIRC, Works 8 opens only formats version 4 and newer.

Quote:
need to satisfy your IMMEDIATE requirement to process MS Works files

I do not detect any sense of in urgency in ngaimoko's posts.
* BleachBit
</signature>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: