OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Tutorial for Spell check and Language configuration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want a sticky for spell checking ?
Yes
89%
 89%  [ 81 ]
No
10%
 10%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 91

Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks justlocal, it may be helpfull indeed for the many users looking for this feature. But it's rather different from the OOo project isn't it ?
justlocal
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
Thanks justlocal, it may be helpfull indeed for the many users looking for this feature. But it's rather different from the OOo project isn't it ?

Hi Hagar de I'Est. Your response actually made me rethink my suggestion, which made me realise my suggestion whilst okay, was off topic. You are right in that it should be not part of this topic. Thanks.
Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, IE, Opera and other projects.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this is a very frequent question in this forum, I guess your information will be usefull to some users (and perhaps my link to Thunderbird will lead others to switch their email client). Therefore, I've added a 6th section in the tutorial. It will be easier to point to this thread instead of repeating again and again the same story.
tekkaman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should fix this. The program is good and this is the only thing I complain. Making a template shouldn't be needed. The program should save settings.
justlocal
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tekkaman wrote:
They should fix this. The program is good and this is the only thing I complain. Making a template shouldn't be needed. The program should save settings.

Hi Tekkaman,

If it helps, I've not needed to make a template for OpenOffice.org for years.

There are reasons why you may wish to set up a default template, but I haven't needed to and none of the many people I have set have needed to either.
Daniel Lujan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: spellchek error Reply with quote

Well, i download and install the new dictionary (spanish costa rica) but when i close the program and inciate again that dictionary is not the default, then i need to change again every time i enter in the writter.

the question is, How can i do to fix this problem?

thanks...
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is answered on the first post of this thread. You need to edit your default template (or create a new one)
tekkaman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad's pc save the language settings why mine doesn't ? He didn't make a template.
justlocal
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tekkaman wrote:
My dad's pc save the language settings why mine doesn't ? He didn't make a template.

Hi Tekkaman,

May I suggest that you ask the question as a new topic. That way it isn't buried deep inside this topic and others may also assist.

Also include your operating system, OpenOffice.org version and language for each computer. Maybe even a comment that you have tried the spell check topic and it doesn't help, so that you don't get referred back here again.
Untel
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Beware, at each upgrade, the <OOo install folder>/share/dict/ooo folder is overwritten by the new one.

I've been aware of the problem and solution for a good deal of time, and expect that stupid bug each time I upgrade.

What I did NOT expect was that the bug also appeared when I proceeded to install another component: I had not installed the Draw component, and since I had a need of it (just for once), I went along to add it through the Change option of the installer...
... and there it was, my good old friend the ever useful Swahili language and others right in my language preferences, and of course all other preferences gone.

So this is an additional warning to users: not only an upgrade, but a simple addition to the installation will feck up the language preferences.

I did my usual recovery procedure to palliate this glaring defect, still thinking that if this happened to MS Word/Office, MS would be blasted as usual, ridiculed, etc.
We seem to be too tolerant about OOo. Yes, I did vote in the bug-report, for whatever good this does.

[edit: almost a year ago...]
dokuro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: dictoo crashes Reply with quote

hi, i have Kubuntu installed, with wordprocessor, and i am trying to install the Spanish dictionaries, but every time i start the wizard openoffice crashes and starts the document recoverer, but i can't recover dictoo because it crashed again and again and it will only start again if i don't recover the dictoo wizard, any thoughts or a way to do it by hand! Smile
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: dictoo crashes Reply with quote

dokuro wrote:
hi, i have Kubuntu installed, with wordprocessor, and i am trying to install the Spanish dictionaries, but every time i start the wizard openoffice crashes and starts the document recoverer, but i can't recover dictoo because it crashed again and again and it will only start again if i don't recover the dictoo wizard, any thoughts or a way to do it by hand! Smile

Hmm, this is a rather different issue (that has been already discussed few times already BTW). Try to run OOo with sudo just for the dictionaries installation (it worked for me once). Or change the permissions for the dics folder.
razonan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: thank you very much Reply with quote

worked like a charm
Sirwin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, bearing in mind I'm not a computer genius, and, I've done everything recommended in this thread, at least 97 times, can someone help me before I go insane?

I need a reliable spell checker. Every so often I have one. Then I notice it's correcting nothing. So I check everything, and I discover that the language settings have swung back to English (eire) again. I keep resetting everything back to English UK (I understand all that dictionary stuff. There appears to be no dictionary for English eire BTW) I even understand all this

Quote:
- Language is set up in the menu Tools>Options>Language Settings>Languages. But this setting is overridden by
- Language set up in the Font tab of a Paragraph style. Which is also overridden by
- Language set up in the Font tab of Character style. Which is also overridden by
- Language set up by direct formatting (Font tab in Format>Characters or context menu>Characters)

But it's not working.
The default language seems to swing back to English (eire) all the time no matter how many times I change everything. I can't keep doing this. What on earth is going on, and does anyone know how I can lock it into accepting English (UK) forever.

Thank you in advance.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please look at section 5.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: