OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Writer and a defective PDF
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wtb41
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Writer and a defective PDF Reply with quote

Yesterday I used Writer (v 2.0.2) to prepare a simple one-line document containing 37 characters (A thru Z in small caps; 1 thru 0 as oldstyle figures; and a blank space between the Z and the digit 1), all from the Adobe Garamond Regular Expert font. I installed that font as a System Font using KDE's Font Installer. I also installed it using spadmin.

I typed the characters into a Writer document, and they displayed perfectly. I then used Writer's PDF export feature. The resulting PDF looks like this (with 2 different viewers):

ABCD FGHI K MNOPQR T WXYZ 1234567890

The letter E is superimposed on the D; the J is superimposed on the I; the L is superimposed on the K; the S is superimposed on the R; and the letters U and V are superimposed on the T.

If anybody would like to see the PDF, I gladly will e-mail it to you. Have you any idea what might be causing this mess?

Bill Bailey
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Writer and a defective PDF Reply with quote

wtb41 wrote:
Yesterday I used Writer (v 2.0.2) to prepare a simple one-line document containing 37 characters (A thru Z in small caps; 1 thru 0 as oldstyle figures; and a blank space between the Z and the digit 1), all from the Adobe Garamond Regular Expert font.

Is your Adobe font a TrueType font? If not, that may cause the problem. Read more about font problems in the Font Trouble Shooting Guide and in this thread http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=40142 for example.

wtb41 wrote:
I installed that font as a System Font using KDE's Font Installer. I also installed it using spadmin.

Which Linux are you using?

Regards
hol.sten
wtb41
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Writer and a defective PDF Reply with quote

hol.sten wrote:
>Is your Adobe font a TrueType font?

No, it is a Windows Postscript font.

>Which Linux are you using?

I am using Mepis 6.0.
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Writer and a defective PDF Reply with quote

wtb41 wrote:
hol.sten wrote:
Is your Adobe font a TrueType font?

So, that is the cause of your problem. Try using TrueType fonts. Or try to convert your font with http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/ to a TrueType font. I never did it myself but I read it several times in this forum.

wtb41 wrote:
I am using Mepis 6.0.

Thank god, not another Ubuntu problem Wink

Regards
hol.sten
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Writer and a defective PDF Reply with quote

hol.sten wrote:
wtb41 wrote:
I am using Mepis 6.0.

Mepis is now based on the Ubuntu packages Mr. Green
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Writer and a defective PDF Reply with quote

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
hol.sten wrote:
wtb41 wrote:
I am using Mepis 6.0.

Mepis is now based on the Ubuntu packages Mr. Green

*LOL* Thanks, you made my day Smile

Regards
hol.sten
wtb41
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Writer and a defective PDF Reply with quote

[quote="hol.sten"]
wtb41 wrote:
hol.sten wrote:
Is your Adobe font a TrueType font?

So, that is the cause of your problem. Try using TrueType fonts.

My reply: Your advice to use a TrueType font rather than a PostScript font is the exact opposite of the advice that many book manufacturers give. They are producing my book; so I am going to follow their advice. Furthermore, my Linux system came with many PostScript fonts preinstalled. Those fonts work fine--even in a PDF that Writer produces. Therefore, a way exists to install a PostScript font and have it work in Writer (for display, print, and PDF purposes). My current problem is to discover (learn) that way. Guidance on this score will be appreciated.

Bill Bailey
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Writer and a defective PDF Reply with quote

wtb41 wrote:
Your advice to use a TrueType font rather than a PostScript font is the exact opposite of the advice that many book manufacturers give.

That may be caused by the fact, that I'm not a book manufacturer. I'm only telling you which fonts work best with OpenOffice.org.

wtb41 wrote:
my Linux system came with many PostScript fonts preinstalled. Those fonts work fine--even in a PDF that Writer produces. Therefore, a way exists to install a PostScript font and have it work in Writer (for display, print, and PDF purposes).

There are various types of fonts. Some work with OOo, some not. To tell someone that he should use TrueType fonts works always with OOo. Support of other font types is limited in OOo (although, you are right, some work). Beside my TrueType advice and the link to the Font Trouble Shooting Guide all I can offer is a link to a german wiki page covering other font types and how they work or not work with OOo: http://www.ooowiki.de/FontFormate

Regards
hol.sten
wtb41
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Writer and a defective PDF Reply with quote

I installed the font--Adobe Garamond Regular Expert--(Windows PostScript format) using KDE's FontInstaller as a System font. I used Scribus to produce a PDF containing the font. The resulting PDF was perfect. I used Writer to create the PDF, and it was defective.

I then used spadmin to install the font. I used Writer to create a PDF containing the font, and the PDF was defective.

I then used KDE's FontInstaller to install the font as a Personal font (which puts the font files in ~/.fonts). I then used Writer to create a PDF containing the font. It was defective.

The problem is not the font, for Scribus produced a perfect PDF containing the font. It's not the font viewer, because the problem spans multiple viewers. What can the problem be?

Bill Bailey
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Writer and a defective PDF Reply with quote

wtb41 wrote:
What can the problem be?

That you are using a font of a font type which is not supported by OOo. Please follow at least one of my links to discover (learn) this by yourself.
wtb41
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Writer and a defective PDF Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but I do not understand. The font is an Adobe PostScript Type 1 font. Surely you are not saying that OOo does not support any such fonts. Then what exactly is it (or could it be) about the particular font that I bought from Linotype that OOo does not support? I'm not trying to be a smart alec or rude; I'm just trying to understand.

Bill Bailey
wtb41
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Writer and a defective PDF Reply with quote

Let me put it another way. If a program supports one Adobe PostScript Type 1 font, should it not support every such font?

Bill Bailey
acknak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, the Type 1 font format, since it is PostScript program source code, is not so well suited for use in non-PostScript environmentsi.e. just about everywhere except embedded in a PostScript printer.

The font support on my Fedora Linux system finds 73 Type 1 fonts (44 pfb, 29 pfa), which I can use under OOo, and they can be used for display, print and PDFs.

However, the level of performance varies for each particular Type 1 file. Some work perfectly. Some have minor problems on printing. Some have problems in a PDF. Some don't work at all: the system rejects the files and doesn't even offer them to be used.

So the problems is that not all "Type 1" fonts are created equal.
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtb41, you have 4 threads under way dealing with much the same question.

Discussion has proceeded on two of them. The third consists solely of your arguing with two people trying to help you because they have pointed out that the thread duplicates others. The fourth has received only one reply which identifies your post as a duplicate thread.

I am deleting those two threads 50727 and 50735. Please do not start new threads dealing with the same issues as the remaining threads 50681 and 50686.
wtb41
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acknak wrote:
As I understand it, the Type 1 font format, since it is PostScript program source code, is not so well suited for use in non-PostScript environmentsi.e. just about everywhere except embedded in a PostScript printer.

The font support on my Fedora Linux system finds 73 Type 1 fonts (44 pfb, 29 pfa), which I can use under OOo, and they can be used for display, print and PDFs.

However, the level of performance varies for each particular Type 1 file. Some work perfectly. Some have minor problems on printing. Some have problems in a PDF. Some don't work at all: the system rejects the files and doesn't even offer them to be used.

So the problems is that not all "Type 1" fonts are created equal.

Acknak, thank you very much for your answer to my question. I wonder what it is about the files that "misbehave" that causes the problems. This situation complicates the matter for someone such as I who is new to Linux. My newness to Linux leads me to suspect that I have overlooked something about Linux or Writer (especially when other Type 1 fonts on my system work perfectly) when the problem may be something within a PostScript Type 1 file. If what you say is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, then I have learned something valuable. Thanks again.

Bill Bailey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: