OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

grid sheet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cagold
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: grid sheet Reply with quote

I want to print a worksheet with titles on columns and blank cells to be filled in by hand. Sorry for my ignorance, but I can't figure out how to get grid lines on the whole sheet. I've tried, as advised in "help" , to open Format - Grid, but when I open Format, there is no Grid sub.
Any help?
geoff80fg
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find that you only get borders around cells which have some content. Thus, if you want a page of empty cells with just titles at the top of columns, you will need to enter the titles as required and then put a space in all other cells as required to fill the page. (Use copy and paste to do this quickly.) After that choose Format > Page > Sheet and mark the Grid checkbox.

Hope this helps

Geoff
cagold
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks Geof. It worked.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoff80fg wrote:
I think you will find that you only get borders around cells which have some content. Thus, if you want a page of empty cells with just titles at the top of columns, you will need to enter the titles as required and then put a space in all other cells as required to fill the page. (Use copy and paste to do this quickly.) After that choose Format > Page > Sheet and mark the Grid checkbox.

Hope this helps

Geoff

Instead of putting content in the empty cells, either define a print range which includes the empty cells, or just select the cells to be printed. In either case the grid will be printed for the empty cells.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: grid sheet Reply with quote

cagold wrote:
I want to print a worksheet with titles on columns and blank cells to be filled in by hand.

A blank in the first cell. Drag taht across and then down to fill however many cells you need.

Now move to Page Break Preview. There select the page delimiters and drag them around until you have only one page containing the cells you want. If too many are available, you can delete those not needed.

Go back to the regular view if you want. From File/ Page Preview, choose the Page option, and there select the Sheet tab, and toggle "Grid" on. The grid will show in the preview and will be printed.

Or....
http://pharm.kuleuven.be/pharbio/gpaper.htm ....possibly the better choice.
http://www.incompetech.com/beta/plainGraphPaper/
http://www.pdfpad.com/graphpaper/
http://www.graphtablet.com/
http://www.mathematicshelpcentral.com/graph_paper.htm

David.
geoff80fg
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes! I thought there should be a way without entering blank content.

I keep on learning.

Geoff
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillP wrote:

Instead of putting content in the empty cells, either define a print range which includes the empty cells, or just select the cells to be printed.

Good move, but I still have to drag over a few cells and continue as I suggested to get the cells I want into one page.

David.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
BillP wrote:

Instead of putting content in the empty cells, either define a print range which includes the empty cells, or just select the cells to be printed.

Good move, but I still have to drag over a few cells and continue as I suggested to get the cells I want into one page.

David.

I didn't use Page Break Preview. I put the titles in the first row, clicked Page Preview (not Page Break Preview) then closed Page Preview. This turned on the page break lines in the Normal View and I could select the cells I wanted to print. For a blank grid without titles, I did have to put a space in the first cell. Without something in at least one cell, going to Page Preview wouldn't turn on the page break lines in Normal view.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillP wrote:
For a blank grid without titles, I did have to put a space in the first cell. Without something in at least one cell, going to Page Preview wouldn't turn on the page break lines in Normal view.

So did I. Then I went straight to Page Break Preview to determine the number of cells in the page by first dragging to extend the range, then dragging the blue delineators of the first page to cover that range, so having all on one page.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: