OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

general input output error... AGAIN!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjstraining

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: general input output error... AGAIN!!!!! Reply with quote

I have spent the past 3 hours trying to fix the error message below:

general error. general input/ouput error

I HAVE READ MANY OF THE PREVIOUS POSTS, and TRIED COPING THE FILES share/basic script and dialog.xlc as previously suggested (and as suggested in the user guide).

I also tried to find the code with SAL blah blah in soffice to add the '#' in front of it.. but I do not have 'soffice' that can be opened with notepad.

I downloaded the latest software version 2.1.. still get the error!!!!!!!! whew - I've just about had it!

The error started when I began using a network so back up my files (xdrive.com). As mentioned in previous postings, I do not get the error if I only stay on my local drive but this is not a practical option.

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW HOW TO GET AROUND THIS PROBLEM? Embarassed Embarassed
brownl
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience when we get that error in our network environment the file has become corrupt. It most often happens with spreadsheets that are stored on shares.
If you have a copy of Microsoft Office (I know, I hate to even say the words...) You can usually open the file with MSO and recover the data but all of the formatting is lost.
I know that this isn't the best solution but it has worked for us.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: general input output error... AGAIN!!!!! Reply with quote

jjstraining wrote:
The error started when I began using a network so back up my files (xdrive.com). As mentioned in previous postings, I do not get the error if I only stay on my local drive but this is not a practical option.

+1. I'd never had this issue until I reconfigure my backup software at work (NTIBackup). It appeared on a file that was opened during the first backup. I tried to reproduce the problem and no way.

It's rather weird because the soft had been running for one year without any problem (and everyday, more than one file were open during the daily backup). Is it linked to the first backup ? I'll try to investigate this further, especially if backing up the user profile (Application Data...) has any influence. But I need to know how to reproduce the issue. For information, the backup is done on a local USB drive so, no network influence here I think.

Could you explain how xdrive works for you ? Does it includes the user profile ?
jjstraining

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xdrive is aol's online file storage service. you simply upload your files to the online drive and it works as a back up for your files/access your files from any computer online.

I never had this problem before, but after downloading my files from the online drive back to my local computer - I get this error on all the files. I guess they lose something in the structure of the files when they return to my local drive? (By the way, xdrive offers 5GB of free space to back up your files). But no good if I cant reopen my files once they have been backed up?????

Any advice? Or should I simply forget about backing up any open office files Smile
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you could do is to keep a file on your HD and also upload it on xdrive. Then bring it back to your HD but in another location. Change the extension .odt to .zip for both files (the one that has been kept on your HD and the one coming back from xdrive). Then, the trick is to spot the differences in the content.

NB: I've had the issue with a file that was open during the backup. I just tested with a bunch of files that I restored and there is no problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: