OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum
 
 [Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

bibliography entry - reference format

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
garethbird
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 30 Dec 2006
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: bibliography entry - reference format Reply with quote

Hello

I've been looking through the forums, but I can't seem to find any help with this problem:

I can use the bibliography database and get it to more or less do as I want it to do, but for some reason, any bibliography entry I make is forced to be displayed in the main text in the same format. I have two specific help requests:

1. How do I remove the unnecessary square brackets [ ] from around the short name? eg if the short name is "Smith and Jones (2002), I would like it to appear in the text like:

"blah blah blah as discussed by Smith and Jones (2002)." instead of
"blah blah blah as discussed by [Smith and Jones (2002)]."

2. How do I make the inserted reference displayed in the main text be based on anything other than the short name field? Is the flexibility in formatting structure found in the bibliography table itself available in the reference that appears in the text? eg make it display something like:

[Au] " ("[Ye]")"

such that the 'Smith and Jones' part of the reference comes from the [Au] field and the '2002' part comes from the [Ye] field with the brackets or any other additional formatting I require being added into the displayed reference myself?

Many thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User


Joined: 08 Aug 2005
Posts: 6732
Location: Kingston ON Canada

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: bibliography entry - reference format Reply with quote

garethbird wrote:
Hello

I've been looking through the forums, but I can't seem to find any help with this problem:

I can use the bibliography database and get it to more or less do as I want it to do, but for some reason, any bibliography entry I make is forced to be displayed in the main text in the same format. I have two specific help requests:

1. How do I remove the unnecessary square brackets [ ] from around the short name? eg if the short name is "Smith and Jones (2002), I would like it to appear in the text like:

"blah blah blah as discussed by Smith and Jones (2002)." instead of
"blah blah blah as discussed by [Smith and Jones (2002)]."


Just use none in the brackets box > It is a choice

Quote:
2. How do I make the inserted reference displayed in the main text be based on anything other than the short name field? Is the flexibility in formatting structure found in the bibliography table itself available in the reference that appears in the text? eg make it display something like:

[Au] " ("[Ye]")"

such that the 'Smith and Jones' part of the reference comes from the [Au] field and the '2002' part comes from the [Ye] field with the brackets or any other additional formatting I require being added into the displayed reference myself?

Many thanks!


You don't as far as I can see. The bibliographic component in OOo is very bad to the point of being essentially useless. You can get almost anything you want using it but the effort is ridiculous

Have a look at Bibus which is a real bibliographic package that integrates well with OOo. http://bibus-biblio.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page. It should do most or all of what you want.
_________________
jrkrideau
Kingston ON Canada
Currently using Windows 7 & OOo 3.4.0 and Ubuntu 12.04 & LibreOffice 3.5.2.2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
garethbird
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 30 Dec 2006
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help!

1) After a little searching I found it under the Index/Table tab of the Insert Index/Table box. Thanks.

2) I managed to follow the installation instuctions:

openofficeorg 2.1
python2.3.5
sqlite1.1.6 (the 'recommended' option although not the newest)
bibus1.3.0 (the latest version)

I don't understand what the UNO options are all about - all I know is that when enabled it throws all sorts of errors at me so I disabled them. The documentation for bibus:

http://bibus-biblio.sourceforge.net/bibus_doc/html/en/usingBibus.html

says:

Read mysql_config.txt to setup the database.

I didn't understand any of that .txt file. I installed sqlite simply because it was in the instuctions: I haven't the faintest idea what it is, how it compares to MySql, how to set up a database within it, or how to run it. There doesn't seem to be any basic documetation for XP users. Can anybody help? I really could use an idiot's guide! Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ftack
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 27 Jan 2003
Posts: 3102
Location: Belgium

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current version of Bibus on Windows comes with an installer: it should be quite easy to bget Bibus up and running nowadays (it used to be different). The full installer (Bibus - Win32-full-setup) should install all that is needed to run Bibus automatically.

The benefit of MySQL lies in a multi-user environment. You can install MySQL on a server, then all clients can connect to the same bibliographic database. SQLite in contrast even is not a program: it is just a file format that Bibus directly reads (thanks to the SQLite libraries). It is the simplest approach and thus recommended for a single user setup. The big advantage is that your data is in one file somewhere on your hard disk that can be easily copied for backup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User


Joined: 08 Aug 2005
Posts: 6732
Location: Kingston ON Canada

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garethbird wrote:
Thanks for your help!

1) After a little searching I found it under the Index/Table tab of the Insert Index/Table box. Thanks.

2) I managed to follow the installation instuctions:

openofficeorg 2.1
python2.3.5
sqlite1.1.6 (the 'recommended' option although not the newest)
bibus1.3.0 (the latest version)

I don't understand what the UNO options are all about - all I know is that when enabled it throws all sorts of errors at me so I disabled them. The documentation for bibus:

http://bibus-biblio.sourceforge.net/bibus_doc/html/en/usingBibus.html

says:

Read mysql_config.txt to setup the database.

I didn't understand any of that .txt file. I installed sqlite simply because it was in the instuctions: I haven't the faintest idea what it is, how it compares to MySql, how to set up a database within it, or how to run it. There doesn't seem to be any basic documetation for XP users. Can anybody help? I really could use an idiot's guide! Thanks


As ftack says you should (under windows anyway) be able to just download the exe file and it will install everything. The simplest, albeit perhaps not the best,choice is to go with Sqlite.

BTW I don't know if it is obvious but there is a useful bibus forum that you can access from the Wiki page.
_________________
jrkrideau
Kingston ON Canada
Currently using Windows 7 & OOo 3.4.0 and Ubuntu 12.04 & LibreOffice 3.5.2.2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
garethbird
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 30 Dec 2006
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your help, but I still can't find any documentation on the actual use of Bibus! I *think* I have everything installed OK, but I can't be sure because the installation instructions are very much out of date and refer to very old versions of the files it tells you to install. However, once installed I think I have created the bibliography database I want and added a test reference to the database. But now I'm stuck. Do I need to somehow link the database to OOo? How is this done? Is this the reason for the error I get when I choose the 'insert a citation' option?:

Bibus Error
Cannot connect to Openoffice. See Documentation.
Cannot connect to Openoffice. See Documentation.
Connector : couldn't connect to pipe OOo_pipe(0))

What does this mean? How is this overcome? The error refers me to documentation that does not seem to exist!

Also:

jrkrideau wrote:

I don't know if it is obvious but there is a useful bibus forum that you can access from the Wiki page.


Sounds useful, but where is (and what is) 'the Wiki page'?

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User


Joined: 08 Aug 2005
Posts: 6732
Location: Kingston ON Canada

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garethbird wrote:
Thanks again for your help, but I still can't find any documentation on the actual use of Bibus! I *think* I have everything installed OK, but I can't be sure because the installation instructions are very much out of date and refer to very old versions of the files it tells you to install. However, once installed I think I have created the bibliography database I want and added a test reference to the database. But now I'm stuck. Do I need to somehow link the database to OOo? How is this done? Is this the reason for the error I get when I choose the 'insert a citation' option?:

Bibus Error
Cannot connect to Openoffice. See Documentation.
Cannot connect to Openoffice. See Documentation.
Connector : couldn't connect to pipe OOo_pipe(0))

What does this mean? How is this overcome? The error refers me to documentation that does not seem to exist!

Also:

jrkrideau wrote:

I don't know if it is obvious but there is a useful bibus forum that you can access from the Wiki page.


Sounds useful, but where is (and what is) 'the Wiki page'?

Thanks


If you're running windows you should be able to just download the bibus-1.3.0-Win32-Full-Setup.exe file and it should install everything you need.

The Bibus home page is the wiki. And come to think of it it's not a forum but rather apparently a mailing list ( Archives are at http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_id=43142)
_________________
jrkrideau
Kingston ON Canada
Currently using Windows 7 & OOo 3.4.0 and Ubuntu 12.04 & LibreOffice 3.5.2.2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group