OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OpenOffice Crash and Recovery Loop
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgparham
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: OpenOffice Crash and Recovery Loop Reply with quote

Using latest PCLinuxOS standard install. Yesterday I wrote a document in Writer and saved it with a password. Since then, I've been in an unending loop...

When I attempt to open a file using either Writer or Calc, the program goes immediately to the auto recovery screen, says it must recover "Untitled1" (which does not exist), says it recovers the "lost" file, then opens a blank Writer doc (whether I began in Writer or Calc). If I attempt to open the file from my disk, the same process happens. If I create a new file and save, the same process happens, substituting the name of the newest file in the auto recovery window. All the files are actually saved on disk and can be opened with KWord or Excel or Word (the latter two in my VMWare XP Pro, but not in Writer or Calc. I cannot open any existing file in Writer or Calc.

Open Office works fine in a Root Session.

I have completely uninstalled Open Office, reinstalled, and it is the same. I have also followed counsel from these threads, deleting or renaming hidden files/directories in my Home directory (.openoffice.org2/...) I'm baffled. I saved one of the error reports, if it would help, though I don't understand it.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of OpenOffice.org? Chances are you have a version of OpenOffice.org that is both outdated and modified by PCLinuxOS, so in general, a good thing to do is download the latest, official version from http://download.openoffice.org .
* BleachBit
</signature>
mgparham
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: OpenOffice Crash and Recovery Loop Reply with quote

I'm using OOo 2.0.4, installed from Synaptic in PCLinuxOS; freshly installed yesterday after this trouble began.

Here's something to ponder, but which I certainly don't understand. Still working on the problem described above, and trying to understand why Root OOo works but user (mp) OOo doesn't work, I used the command "locate openoffice" in a terminal in both Root and User, saved the output, and compared the 2 lengthy files.

The lines below are the only differences in the two output files. Would any of these files - or lack of them - cause my user OOo to not work?

Another question, something I just don't understand: Why are these files not visible anywhere in my system? As Root, using Konqueror and showing hidden files, these files are not visible! Using Locate in Konsole, they are listed; using Konqueror or Krusader, they do not appear.

Also, these files are present in /opt/openoffice.org2.0/share/registry..., and visible to both User and Root. But they are only visible to Root in the /home/mp directory using a Locate command.

Does any of that mean anything? Will that info help anyone to help me get my OOo operating as a User?

______
The numbers show the file line in the User Locate text file, and the (a)additional lines that appear in the Root Locate file. But for these lines, the files are identical.

4250a4251
> /home/mp/.openoffice.org2/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Writer.xcu
4253a4255,4256
> /home/mp/.openoffice.org2/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI
> /home/mp/.openoffice.org2/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI/WriterWindowState.xcu
4254a4258
> /home/mp/.openoffice.org2/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/UserProfile.xcu
4280a4285
> /home/mp/.openoffice.org2/user/registry/cache/org.openoffice.Office.UI.GlobalSettings.dat
4282a4288
> /home/mp/.openoffice.org2/user/registry/cache/org.openoffice.Office.Calc.dat
4288a4295
> /home/mp/.openoffice.org2/user/registry/cache/org.openoffice.Office.Impress.dat
4289a4297
> /home/mp/.openoffice.org2/user/registry/cache/org.openoffice.TypeDetection.GraphicFilter.dat
4301a4310
> /home/mp/.openoffice.org2/user/config/imagecache/svx680en-US15005crystal
4303a4313
> /home/mp/.openoffice.org2/user/config/imagecache/svx680en-US140021crystal
4304a4315,4316
> /home/mp/.openoffice.org2/user/config/imagecache/svx680en-US15015crystal
> /home/mp/.openoffice.org2/user/config/imagecache/svx680en-US140121crystal
_____

Thanks for any help or responses.

Blessings,
mp
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: OpenOffice Crash and Recovery Loop Reply with quote

mgparham wrote:
But they are only visible to Root in the /home/mp directory using a Locate command.

If you use sudo, perhaps it will create files with the wrong permissions, so as root, run these commands to set the correct permissions.

Code:

chown -R mp /home/mp
chmod -R u+rw /home/mp

* BleachBit
</signature>
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like the persistent recovery problem.

The particular files involved are mentioned here:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=156335#156335

Rename the following files to something like xxx.yyy.bad:
~/.openoffice.org2/user/registry/cache/org.openoffice.Office.Recovery.dat
~/.openoffice.org2/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Recovery.xcu

and delete / move the contents of the following folder: ~/.openoffice.org2/user/backup

BTW, congratulations on your choice of an operating system.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenOffice Crash and Recovery Loop Reply with quote

mgparham wrote:
Another question, something I just don't understand: Why are these files not visible anywhere in my system? As Root, using Konqueror and showing hidden files, these files are not visible! Using Locate in Konsole, they are listed; using Konqueror or Krusader, they do not appear.

'locate' does not search in the real system tree but in a database listing the files on your system. If this database has not been updated after your OOo installation/update, then, the old files are still listed. 'updatedb' should force the database update.
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The files in .openoffice.org2 should be visible in Konqueror (and, probably, Krusader). They are not visible in the tree on the left but if you select "home folder" in the tree, .openoffice.org2 is visible in the main panel and you can open it there.
mgparham
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: OpenOffice Crash and Recovery Loop Reply with quote

Well, at least as a Newbie, I'm learning a lot.

I've followed all suggestions posted in this thread. Finally, I uninstalled OpenOffice, then carefully deleted every file related to OpenOffice. Continually updated the database, did locate on openoffice until there were no references in the system (as User and as Root). Downloaded the OOo newest version, 2.1.0, and installed the RPM's following the instructions in the PCLinuxOS Wiki. All ready to run my newly installed and updated OOo.

But the same errors persist.

Again, in Root, OOo works great. As User, I cannot open any existing file. Every attempt to open results in the same errors described in the 1st post here.

So now I'm really confused.

Any suggestions?

Blessings,
mp

PS I'm also posting these messages in the PCLinuxOS software forum.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the permissions for the user on the ~/.openoffice.org2 folder ? Is it read/write for all sub-folders also ?
mgparham
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Open Office crash and recovery loop Reply with quote

Incidentally, I should have posted this in my previous post -

When I did the new install from RPM's to version 2.1, I got this message at the end:

[root@mpLinux mp]#
** (process:3935): CRITICAL **: egg_desktop_entries_add_group: assertion `egg_desktop_entries_lookup_group (entries, group_name) == NULL' failed

What does that mean? Is it significant to the problem I'm working on?

Again, OOo works in Root, and behaves just as described in the 1st post in User.

Thanks again for the input.

Blessings,
mp
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled your error message and here is what I got : My Desktop Got Egg’d.

Does it help ?
mgparham
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice Crash and Recovery Loop Reply with quote

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

My permissions for ~/.openoffice.org2 folder are read/write, and for all sub-folders as well.

I followed the link for 'egged desktop' and did as it suggested. It apparently cleared the error when I edited the offending file - but it seems to be unrelated to my OOo problem. OpenOffice still behaves as initially described.

I have now uninstalled a total of 3 times, reinstalled version 2.0.4 once, version 2.1.0 twice, removing all references to openoffice between the last two installs, and the behavior is still the same. But it still works great as Root.

I guess I need to do some real work for a while, then tackle this tonight if I have time.

I continue to learn more about Linux while attempting to resolve this, so don't slow down on the suggestions. (But I hate having to open my VMWare XP and MSOffice just to write a document. ) Smile

Blessings,
mp
mgparham
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Open Office crash and recovery loop Reply with quote

Another update:

I created another User account. OOo works great there, just as it does with Root. It's only in my user account that these errors persist.

Thots?

mp
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run strace to find out which files are being access before OpenOffice.org crashes. One of these files may be corrupt.
Code:
strace openoffice.org-2.1 &>/tmp/log
grep "open(" /tmp/log

Delete or rename the other hidden directories under your home folder. For example, try rm -rf ~/.eggcups. (Make sure OOo is closed, first.) Start deleting/renaming configuration files listed last before the crash in the log file produced by strace.
* BleachBit
</signature>
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If specific suggestions do not work, try running OpenOffice from another desktop. One problem I had with OpenOffice (in Kde only) early on was fixed when I re-set Window Behaviour settings to default.

I've had to fix problems with Kde by deleting my .kde and .qt folders from Xfce (on another OS). That's a rather drastic remedy.

An even more drastic remedy is to substitute the new user home folder for your /mp folder. Renaming it to /mp and using chown to change ownership to yourself gives you a brand new start. You need to log in as root to do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: