OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Send email using yahoo mail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wpk2758

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Send email using yahoo mail Reply with quote

I am trying to send a document by selecting SEND, Document as Email. My default email is Yahoo. Yahoo opens in compose mode but the document is not attached...any suggestions?
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft Windows, right? Try this.

1. Close the document.
2. Open the folder that contains the document.
3. Click File->Send To->Mail recipient

Does that work?
* BleachBit
</signature>
wpk2758

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the suggestion...but.... Reply with quote

First, a sincere thank you for the reply and suggestion.

Second, I tried your method but had the following problems...

1. After right clicking the document in it's folder, the pop up menu appeared and as sugggested I chose SEND TO, then Mail receipient. A new window appeared opening Yahoo Mail, but after a considerable delay it finally errored out with a 'BrowserHistoryManager' is undefined error.

2. I then tried the right click as above and chose 'Email with Yahoo!' option. This resulted in the same condition which prompted this forum question...Yahoo compose opens but the document is not attached.

Third (this should have been first), I am indeed running Windows Media Center.

Again thanks for the help

BillK
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenOffice.org uses Windows' generic interface for applications that need to use e-mail facilities, so I think the problem is that Yahoo has not implemented the attachment feature. (And you tested that assumption by trying to use Windows Explorer to send the document.)

You should use Yahoo support to find out if there anything you can do or whether this is simply not available.
* BleachBit
</signature>
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the suggestion...but.... Reply with quote

wpk2758 wrote:
2. I then tried the right click as above and chose 'Email with Yahoo!' option. This resulted in the same condition which prompted this forum question...Yahoo compose opens but the document is not attached.

I'm pretty sure you have to always manually attach files in the compose window... that's not something OpenOffice can control, as far as I know. Are you familiar with attaching files in Yahoo?

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
wpk2758

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Thanks Again Reply with quote

Dear Foxcole and AndrewZ,

Thanks again for your help. I will follow up with Yahoo on this problem. As a test I made Outlook Express my default email app and everything worked fine so I conclude the problem is not with Windows or OpenOffice.

I prefer using Yahoo mail since I have used it for almost 10 years now. I know there are better and more efficient but my volume is so low the difference is negligable, plus I have trained my family to be profecient in Yahoo and I would not want to go thru that experience again with another email app.

I think I will mark this thread as closed / solved ( I don't know the correct term yet ) but again thanks for your help.

Bill K
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I use this often the OOo e-mail feature with Thunderbird without issues. It's a decent application, and version 2 (coming soon) has a few cool, new features like tags.
* BleachBit
</signature>
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewZ wrote:
FWIW, I use this often the OOo e-mail feature with Thunderbird without issues. It's a decent application, and version 2 (coming soon) has a few cool, new features like tags.

I don't use Thunderbird but have heard about it. Am I correct in thinking Bill can use it to work with his Yahoo! e-mail? I think it could be set to not delete mail from the server after it's loaded, like Eudora can do.

I have not had good experiences with Eudora's spam sorting/filtering... as in, after my laboriously tagging hundreds and hundreds of spam messages from Yahoo!, it never did "learn" to reject any spam at all. And yes, I had all the settings correct. So I personally can't recommend Eudora as an email client, although others have had no trouble with it.

My personal experiences aside, Eudora did a fine job of loading my Yahoo! e-mail and I could use my Yahoo! address to send mail out through Eudora. What I'm thinking is that a solution like Eudora, or hopefully better, Thunderbird, will let Bill continue using his Yahoo! email without having to "train" his family into another e-mail interface---they could go on using it.

AndrewZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use Thunderbird with Yahoo if Yahoo provides POP3 or IMAP (for receiving mail) and SMTP (for sending mail) access, but AFAIK, Yahoo does not provide that access.

In my experience, Thunderbird has great spam learning, and supposedly version 2 (due soon) improves the spam filtering even more.
* BleachBit
</signature>
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewZ wrote:
You could use Thunderbird with Yahoo if Yahoo provides POP3 or IMAP (for receiving mail) and SMTP (for sending mail) access, but AFAIK, Yahoo does not provide that access.

Yahoo! has POP3 access. Users can also set it up to forward mail to another e-mail address.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: