OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

formating bibliographic entries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macherb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: formating bibliographic entries Reply with quote

Hi,

up to now I used to write my papers using latex/bibtex; very easy.

For convenience of my collegues I tried to change to OOo this time. I managed to import my document as well as my bibliographic database. Unfortunately it appears that database entries do not accept any format. For citing it is essential to keep the format of the original titel, which in my case very often contains superscripts (e.g. charge of ions like Na<sup>+</sup>) or subscripts for chemical formulas.

How can I generate well a formated bibliography with OOoBase or do I have to revert to latex?

Thanks
Macherb
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: formating bibliographic entries Reply with quote

macherb wrote:
Hi,

up to now I used to write my papers using latex/bibtex; very easy.

For convenience of my collegues I tried to change to OOo this time. I managed to import my document as well as my bibliographic database. Unfortunately it appears that database entries do not accept any format. For citing it is essential to keep the format of the original titel, which in my case very often contains superscripts (e.g. charge of ions like Na<sup>+</sup>) or subscripts for chemical formulas.

How can I generate well a formated bibliography with OOoBase or do I have to revert to latex?

Thanks
Macherb

Very good question. I would suggest using Bibus rather than the OOo bib component which is nearly useless. However I don't know how well Bibus http://bibus-biblio.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page will import that kind of formatting from bibtex since I have not tried it. It cannot be worse than OOo's component. Sad

Otherwise you might want to have a look at Scholar's Aid http://www.scholarsaid.com/ which claims to support OOo. Some of the other major bibio packages may also do so but I have not kept up with the topic. I have found that Bibus is fine for what I do but I don't have some of your sophisticated requirements.
macherb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: formating bibliographic entries Reply with quote

jrkrideau wrote:
macherb wrote:
Hi,

I would suggest using Bibus rather than the OOo bib component which is nearly useless. However I don't know how well Bibus

Unfortunately the BibTeX-Import does not work. There exists a patch, but this also does not work, because BibTeX files generated with pybliographic (linux) contain apart from the abstract a lot of medline-fields.

macherb
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: formating bibliographic entries Reply with quote

macherb wrote:
jrkrideau wrote:
macherb wrote:
Hi,

I would suggest using Bibus rather than the OOo bib component which is nearly useless. However I don't know how well Bibus

Unfortunately the BibTeX-Import does not work. There exists a patch, but this also does not work, because BibTeX files generated with pybliographic (linux) contain apart from the abstract a lot of medline-fields.

macherb

Ah, yes. The Bibus developer was complaining about this last year. He tries to follow the specs and none of the major bibliographic developers seem to follow their own specs. Endnote is another problem case.

I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest. BTW what is the patch for other than pybibliographic?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: