OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OpenOffice freezing up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fenris
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice freezing up Reply with quote

Hi all,
I open up an existing spread sheet or in a new one. If I try to delete a cell using the delete key or right-clicking and select "delete cells".

Any ideas on what is happening. I recently upgraded to v2.1 of Open Office from version 2.0.4. That is when I noticed the problem. So I uninstalled v2.1 and reinstalled v2.0.4, but that is still giving me the same error.

Any ideas?
Warrick Nelson
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem in 2.1 on Win98SE or WinXP.
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some file/s in your settings folder is/are the most likely source of the problem. You could test that by renaming the folder after closing all OOo processes, including any Quick Starter. A new folder will be created on re-start. You will have the welcome and registration screens again and, worst of all, the default settings.

Have you had a crash at some point? The particular files involved in that case are mentioned here:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=156335#156335
fenris
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noranthon,
Thanks for the reply.

Here is what happened.
I checked to see if there were new updates available for OO. I was running 2.0.4 at the time. I downloaded v2.1 and installed it. When I went to open an existing spreadsheet it opened fine. I then entered some data into a column (fuel receipts) and I made a mistake in one of the cells. When I hit the delete key the application froze on me. When I say froze, I mean that the grid portion wouldn't accept any mouse clicks, or key strokes. The menu and toolbars acted the same way. I was able to minimize and maximize the Calc window and drag it around using the title bar.

I thought something was processing so I let Calc sit for about 10 minutes before I used the task manager to kill it.

After that I tried to open the file but I got into the recovery loop (i.e. the recovery wizard would fire up and ask to recover the file but it would freeze and I would have to kill it with task manager).

The next thing that I did was to uninstall OO 2.1 and reinstall the old version, 2.0.4. But that didn't help, I was still having the recovery loop issue. I then did some surfing on the internet and found this forum which quickly lead to the solution that you so kindly provided a link. Once I deleted the recovery.dat files I was able to open the document in v2.0.4.

I proceeded to delete a cell (thinking this may have been an issue with v2.1) but the same thing happened.

So I did more research and discovered that I needed to completely uninstall OO which I did. Then I deleted OpenOffice.org2 folder in application data under my profile. I also ran CCleaner to clean out the registry keys.

I then reinstalled v2.0.4 to find the problem persisting.

Any ideas on what I might be missing? This problem occurs when trying to delete a cell or cells. The type of data doesn't seem to matter as I have tried plain text, numbers and formulas.
fenris
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I unistalled OO, removed all traces of it that I could find on my hard disk. Removed all traces of it from my registry (That I could find). Rebooted and reinstalled.

Still the same problem is occurring.

Any ideas?
fenris
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is something interesting. I fired up writer and typed a few things in. It seemed to work fine till I exited the application. I went to file/exit and the application froze up like calc.
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version did you reinstall? If it was 2.1, did you use the md5sum to check your download?
http://download.openoffice.org/2.1.0/md5sums.html

I understand that Windows has some tool which records errors. Have you used that?

This is an installation / setup problem rather than a Calc question and I think you are more likely to get help in that sub-forum, so I'll move the thread.
fenris
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The installer's md5 checks out as a match so the download doesn't appear to be corrupt. The windows event viewer isn't displaying any errors.

Thanks for moving this thread over!
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I didn't expect you so soon. I thought the title of the thread should be changed and was going to add a note. It was "Delete a cell Freezes Calc" which does not cover everything as you have now discovered.

You can change the thread title by editing your first post.

I cannot think of anything else you can do to overcome the problem. Hopefully, the experts can.
fenris
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noranthon wrote:
Hi. I didn't expect you so soon.

I don't have much of a life Wink

Quote:

I thought the title of the thread should be changed and was going to add a note. It was "Delete a cell Freezes Calc" which does not cover everything as you have now discovered.

You can change the thread title by editing your first post.

I cannot think of anything else you can do to overcome the problem. Hopefully, the experts can.

Thanks for your assistance!
fenris
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll I'll be!

Installed the latest version of Java (v5 update 10) and OO seems to work now!

Shouldn't the installer warn you if you need to upgrade your version of java?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: