OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Cannot open ods/odp files - can open xls, ppt, can save both

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay911
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Cannot open ods/odp files - can open xls, ppt, can save both Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm running OOo 2.0.4 on a number of different machines, all using WinXP SP2 with most if not all the Windows Updates applied. On only one of my machines, I have suddenly lost the ability to open OpenDocument Spreadsheet and OpenDocument Presentation files. These same files will open just fine on the other computers' OOo installations, and the problem computer's OOo can open and/or save in MS Office format (Excel 'xls', PowerPoint 'ppt', etc) as well as saving ods/odp (which the other computers, as mentioned, can open just fine). Oddly enough, the problem computer can open odt OpenDocument Text files with ease.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled OOo, and I have ensured nothing is in the backup folder as per comments in messages I saw on the forums while searching for answers to this issue. I'm suspecting either Zip file reading/writing or XML problems with my computer as the culprit, though I can't know for sure as I don't know enough about how OOo does its thing. Can anyone give me directions on what to look for, how to deal with it, etc?

Thanks in advance. Smile
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try to rename the user profile (/Documents and Settings/<user>/OpenOffice.org2/user), OOo will create a new one. If a configuration file has been corrupted, it should be fine afterwards.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if it's ok.
Jay911
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renaming the user profile and creating a new one on the next startup does not help. Just tried it - trying to open an ODS file starts OOo, and after going through the profile setup, it enters the same cycle as previously - OOo main window comes up, with "Loading document" in the status bar; then the window disappears, and the recovery dialog comes up with no file listed in the "The following documents will be recovered" section. Clicking on the "OK" button brings up the "OpenOffice.org Error Report" screen. and whether you send or not send, it tries to load the file over again, causing it to crash again, etc.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay911 wrote:
it enters the same cycle as previously - OOo main window comes up, with "Loading document" in the status bar; then the window disappears, and the recovery dialog comes up

That's rather new information !
See here : Pesistent error recovery message. Does it help ?
Jay911
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
That's rather new information !

I didn't feel it relevant in the original post because that's not the problem. During any other crashes I've ever experienced, the recovery system runs once and then reloads the appropriate file. The crash/recovery is only 'persistent' because the program is trying to load the ODS file every time the recovery process completes.

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
See here : Pesistent error recovery message. Does it help ?

No, it does not. The 'backup' folder is empty, the recovery.dat file was deleted, and there was no recovery.xcu file. After that, closing and restarting OOo, the above-described behavior is duplicated precisely.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly happens when you try to open the files (when there is no recovery process) ?
Last shot : try to clean your base of registry (many softs on the web for free). If it doesn't work neither, I fear I'm out of idea Sad
Jay911
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
What exactly happens when you try to open the files (when there is no recovery process) ?

The activity is as follows:

1. Double-click on an ODS file (or, with the main OOo window open, use File>Open and select any ODS file).
2. The main OOo window will appear with "Load Document" on the status bar, and an empty progress bar beside it (the progress bar which usually fills as the file is loaded).
3. The entire program crashes and is replaced with the Document Recovery screen.
4. The recovery progress begins. If the program was started by double-clicking on an ODS file, the recovery system has no file to recover, which is why the recovery progress is blank. If using the File>Open method, the recovery process tries to recover the blank "Untitled1" spreadsheet. (This part is not relevant to the crash - I include it simply because it is different behavior depending on what path is taken.)

Quote:
Last shot : try to clean your base of registry (many softs on the web for free).

Which registry keys should I be looking for in which parts of the registry?

Quote:
If it doesn't work neither, I fear I'm out of idea Sad

Are you sure this isn't XML or zipfile related as I mentioned in my original post? As I said, I have other computers with OOo 2.0.4 (all Win XP) which can open the same files perfectly. If I knew how OOo was handling zip and/or XML I could try to uninstall/reinstall those components (of XP, Winzip, etc., whatever) and see if that would work. But without knowing what program/item/routine OOo is calling to perform these tasks, I don't know what to try to repair first.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay911 wrote:
Which registry keys should I be looking for in which parts of the registry?

The cleaning softs can do that automatically. It's so huge that I don't think it's possible to check all the entries that may be concerned !

If you have reinstalled OOo, I doubt OOo is the root cause.
If you can open other files, it means that zip/xml process is not the problem.
If you can open the file on other computers, it doesn't mean that the file is not the problem (weird, isn't it ?). Try to open the file on an other computer, do a minor change (add a space at the end for example), save it with a different name and try again.
Jay911
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what to say at this point.

It's not "one" file - it's ANY file of type ODS or ODP. None of those will open. Any other computer I have which has OpenOffice can open any and all files, including ODS and ODP files, and edit them, and save them. I can then try to open them again with the problem computer and it still fails.

The problem computer will open XLS (Excel Spreadsheet) and PPT (PowerPoint Presentation) files just fine - the Microsoft Office versions of the same type of file (ODS=XLS, ODP=PPT). It can even save ODS and ODP files which will read just fine on the other computers. The problem computer can also read and write ODT (text/word processor) files just fine. It just won't open ODS and ODP files.

I don't agree that a generic registry cleaning will do anything. Having said that, I manually looked through the registry for any OpenOffice related keys and checked to see if they seemed properly set. They did. I don't think any 'cleaning softs' would do any better, considering they too can't tell me what keys OpenOffice might use in its loading of ODS/ODP files.

I already run Spybot Search & Destroy, most recent version/update and AVG 7.5 - both of which found no problems on my machine at all.

As I said at the beginning of this message, I don't know what else to say at this point. This isn't an installation problem, it's not a specific ODS or ODP file problem, it's not a user profile problem, it's not a recovery console problem, and all indications point towards it not being a registry problem (though without knowing what registry keys OOo references, I can't tell that for sure). Considering that the ODT file format is much less complex than the ODS/ODP formats (and thus more 'forgiving' to buggy XML engine operation), and considering that the XLS/PPT file formats don't use XML to my knowledge, I'm still suspicious of the XML engine in use. What I wish I could find out is what OOo exactly does - what programs or routines it calls, etc. - when it tries to open a n OpenDocument file. For example, if it uses Windows' built-in or added-on XML engine(s), replacing that might fix my problem - but since I haven't been able to get that question answered, I can't try that, since I don't know where to begin.
Jay911
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have figured out this problem.... but I don't know the reason why or the proper solution.

I noticed that the program (upgraded to OOo 2.1, including having done a complete uninstall, purging of all applicable software, and re-install - as well as having this same problem crop up on another, brand new computer, which has never had OOo installed before) also crashes when trying to do Print Setup from the File menu. I deleted my installed printers from my WinXP configuration (one an HP 842c, one a HP 6110 OfficeJet all-in-one) and now the files, which have been unable to load all this time, are loading properly.

I wish I could search for previous occurrences of this here in the OOo support forums, but it is hard to search when "HP" is too short to match. I found some hits that make me think this is not an uncommon problem, though - I lucked out and found some people who had this problem with other HP printer drivers.

I have been using the latest drivers as provided by HP. I'm curious, too, why the crashes happen 100% reliably with ODS and ODP files that have been saved since the printer driver was installed, but ODS and ODP files saved *before* the printer driver was installed, or saved on another machine *without* the printer driver, or *any* ODT files at all, still open just fine.

Perhaps there's something in the OD file format that needs to be tidied up?
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The files record the last printer used to print them. Perhaps there is a bug triggered by the printer settings. Had you worked with ODT files also that should have crashed OOo (not clear from your last post) ? If so, you could see on the issue tracker if this has been reported already, see here for a step by step method : Rough step-by-step instructions reporting bugs. You can attach a file to an issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: