OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How to change the font size of all labels in a pie chart?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fredy
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: How to change the font size of all labels in a pie chart? Reply with quote

Hi
I have created a pie chart and added data labels in percentage. Now I'me looking for a way to change the font size of all labels together. Is there a solution?

The next question: Is there a way to replace individual labels?

I'me using OpenOffice 2.1.

Thanks Fredy
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I've got the question right. I've created a pie chart and selected the data labels, taken from the first column in the range. I right-click and select "Object Properties" and get a dialogue with a tab "Characters" which enables me to choose Font, Typeface and Size. Is that what you want?

Well, I'm learning something anyway. I changed one of the labels in the first column and the corresponding data label changed as well.
Fredy
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I found out too. But I have about 30 data labels in the chart. If I have to change the font size for each label separately, I need a long time for it.
So it would really be helpful to be able to select all data labels and change the font for all labels together. But I couldn't find out how.

Any help would be apreciated.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fredy wrote:
This is what I found out too. But I have about 30 data labels in the chart. If I have to change the font size for each label separately, I need a long time for it.
So it would really be helpful to be able to select all data labels and change the font for all labels together. But I couldn't find out how.

Any help would be apreciated.

First advice is: Don't do it ! The pie chart will be close to, or completely, unusable with that many slices. A piechart may be okay for 2:5 slices but 30 is a bit much. Sad

Here is a quote from the Help function of R (a stats package).
Quote:

Pie charts are a very bad way of displaying information. The eye is good at judging linear measures and bad at judging relative areas. A bar chart or dot chart is a preferable way of displaying this type of data.

Cleveland (1985), page 264: “Data that can be shown by pie charts always can be shown by a dot chart. This means that judgements of position along a common scale can be made instead of the less accurate angle judgements.”[1]

On the other hand, I would like to know how to do this and I cannot seem to find the character tab that you an norathon have found. All I get is Line Area Transparancy.
What am I doing wrong?

1. Cleveland, William, (1985) The elements of graphing data. Monterey, Calif. : Wadsworth Advanced Books and Software
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: