OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Strange fonts in open office

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cap

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Strange fonts in open office Reply with quote

I have installed Ubuntu 6.06 on my notebook and with it, a packaged OOo download. Open office works as advertised, except there is a font problem: When I access the font drop down menu it shows only Arabic and East Indian font names (over 100). With great difficulty I am able to type a common font name into the box and the written type will change (so the fonts are there), but it is unstable, that is, if I mark the changed type, the menu and the written type will change back to an Arabic font.

How can I resolve this problem?

Thanks for reading,
cap
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I remember having seen such packages on my Dapper also. In fact, I haven't had the time to see them under OOo because I removed the packages right away in Synaptic. Search Synaptic for packages containing 'font' for example, and remove all those Indian and Arabic fonts packages. Then, check in OOo what are the settings in Tools>Options>Writer>Basic Fonts (Western).

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if it's ok.
cap

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagar, thanks for your reply.

I have searched in Synaptic for fonts, found three that were related to east indian and Arabic and removed them, but it did not change things. I am new to Ubunta and so perhaps I'm not seeing what I should be seeing. Makes me irritable. Smile
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To see all the fonts installed, open Nautilus and in the adress bar, type 'fonts:///'. You should run Nautilus with gksudo to have the required rights to delete fonts (gksudo nautilus).

Or look into the folder /usr/share/fonts and the folder ~/.fonts, they're usually put in folders, it's easier to spot the unwanted ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: