OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

a way to make a huge document to have 2 spaces after each .?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrmailer
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: a way to make a huge document to have 2 spaces after each .? Reply with quote

Is this possible? It should only occur when there's
SPACE
character

it should change that one space to two spaces. It shouldn't occur for ... and obviously at the end of paragraphs.

thanks! the document got messed up and it removed one space.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: a way to make a huge document to have 2 spaces after eac Reply with quote

mrmailer wrote:
Is this possible? It should only occur when there's
SPACE
character

it should change that one space to two spaces. It shouldn't occur for ... and obviously at the end of paragraphs.

thanks! the document got messed up and it removed one space.

I have no idea how to do this and if your problem is that you are not getting two spaces at the end of a sentence, I would not worry about it unless you have a specific style requirement. Modern practices seems to be not to use double spacing.

It may that you have the Tools > Autocorrect > Options > Ignore double spaces selected which gave you the problem.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: a way to make a huge document to have 2 spaces after eac Reply with quote

A simple search and replace should work. Replace ". " with ". " ...no quotes.

David.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest I went is to Search & Replace '^\.$' by '&\n' - no quotes - (checking Regular Expressions in the More options area). But it will only search for a period alone (only character of a paragraph) and replace it by the period plus a new paragraph after.
geoff80fg
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David's suggestion should work fine but jkrideau is right. Two spaces after a full stop was only used by typists who were stuck with monospaced fonts on a typewriter. Now we are blessed with (almost) full typesetter's capabilities using proportional fonts, two spaces to separate sentences are redundant. If you use full justification, they will even be reduced in width by these clever word processors!

Geoff
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this may be more trouble than its worth due to the fact that contractions (opps, corrected to "abbreviations") end with a period. Here is a simple two sentence example where 5 replacements will occur:
Code:
My name is Mr. Smith. I love sports football, basketball, etc. and spend Sat. and Sun. in front of the TV.   

That problem aside, you can avoid paragraph end trailing spaces by clean them up as the first find & replace. Search for <space>*$ and replace with nothing. Regular Expressions must be checked. <space> represents a tap of the spacebar.

Last edited by JohnV on Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
I think this may be more trouble than its worth due to the fact that contractions end with a period. Here is a simple two sentence example where 5 replacements will occur:
Code:
My name is Mr. Smith. I love sports football, basketball, etc. and spend Sat. and Sun. in front of the TV.   

That problem aside, you can avoid paragraph end trailing spaces by clean them up as the first find & replace. Search for <space>*$ and replace with nothing. Regular Expressions must be checked. <space> represents a tap of the spacebar.

Pssst, hey, JohnV---that's a good point, but contractions end with an apostrophe and maybe a letter or two. You're talkin' about abbreviations here. Wink

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox,

Fixed. Sorry poor my English is. Wink

Last edited by JohnV on Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
Fox,

Fixed. Sorry my bad English. Wink

Poor English? OK, I'll leave now.

David.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Ok, I've also fixed that one. Wink
geoff80fg
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My, we are getting picky.

I would just point out that the only reason to insert two spaces after a full stop is to emphasise the gap which might be lost in a monospaced font when there are such gaps already around letters i or l (for instance). If you are going to emphasise such gaps, then it might seem reasonable to do so after abbreviations as well.

I still don't believe people should be encouraged to insert two spaces. If you look at LyX, that program refuses to accept either two spaces or two returns.

Geoff
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmailer, still with us ?

My only point in this thread is : for such issue, look at the Regular Expressions. They're listed is in the OOo help section with few examples.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoff80fg wrote:
My, we are getting picky.

Not really. We were having fun, as I am doing now.

The two spaces between sentences was more traditional, having been so for some long period of time. I don't know the origin, except to clearly separate sentences, as paragraphs are separated also traditionally by the carriage return AND a line break. Both simply indicate a pause of one sort or another, distinguished by length of pause. Neither need be so today perhaps, and may have changed back and forth at other times. If language and grammar does anything throughout the centuries, the most that it does is to change. That is neither bad nor good, it's simply a matter of conformity, ...or not. If I had a grouch, it would be against the omnipresent total lack of grammatical structure in some postings which make them almost unreadable [i.e. illiterate.] It is as if poor grammar was to be preferred, it being forgotten that grammar was invented in the past in order to bring about clarity of meaning. I was in one newsgroup a few years back where one contributor used more smilies than words, and never capitalised. myreplieswentsomethinglikethis:)SmileSmile

In any event, one thing is for sure... No matter which word processor is used, it matters little if the user also has neither good grammar nor content. So, good grammar is still an important component for clarity of meaning.

P.S. Any mistakes that I make are called "typos". Also, perhaps due to age and past training, I can't help but type two spaces as I feel it's needed. No matter; this editor fixes that while sending. That is a good thing, since I'm really not well trained in English, and certainly wish no offense.

David.
RealGrouchy
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of comments:

Another good reason not to bother with the two-spaces rule is that web pages do not process this (anything more than one space on a web page is ignored), so people are used to seeing single space now. (I know that the Canadian Press styleguide says one space).

However, if you still do want to use the two-space rule, make sure that the option "ignore double spaces" in Tools > Autocorrect > Options is not selected (by default, it isn't).

- RG>

XPsp2, OOo 2.3, SeaMonkey 1.1.7, IE v.6.6.6...
acknak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another little glitch: surely you've all seen the Word documents that force two spaces after sentences by (I'm sure automatically) inserting a non-breaking space after the period? I guess Word has a setting for that, as the people who send me these docs can barely find the "any" key Wink

Maybe that is what the OP is after?

PS: It would be nice (maybe?) to have an adjustable 'between sentence' space, whose width could be tuned via a style setting. I seem to remember that TeX has that, so I assume that professionally typeset documents also do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: