OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

layers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walterz54
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: layers Reply with quote

Layers to me means one layer sets atop another layer, meaning that if I put a red ciclce on layer 1 and a blue square on layer 2 the red circle should be atop the blue square. But thats not the case in Draw. Unless edited the last item created is the topmost one irregardless of the layer it is drawn on. Is this the way the application is designed to work? Or are there any settings to adjust?
bryancole
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, layers are ... wierd in OO-Draw. The stacking order for drwaing objects is total independent of the object layer. Layers are simply a logical grouping which allow you to control editing, visability or print-visibility. Thats all.

I'm a heavy Draw user but I've rarely found much use for the layers functionality. It's too limited ... changing layer attributes or the active layer is too fiddly.

BC
keme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layers are a nice way to group objects, allowing for different views. Like in a complex block schematic, you can group different connectors (like physical vs. logical connections) by keeping them on different layers. They will stay connected even if you move objects when the connectors are not shown.

Many other uses exist, but it is really only useful if you have complex drawings and you need to simplify viewing without actually removing drawing objects.

New drawing objects are put on the active layer (white tab). Click on a layer tab to activate a layer. To show/hide layers, you can shift-click on the tab (layer title is blue when the layer is hidden). To switch on/off printing of layers several clicks are needed, which is probably the "too fiddly" procedure mentioned by bryancole. I think, like he seems to think, that a layer toolbox for show/print/lock toggles (like the one in The GIMP and other graphic packages) would be useful.

The help system has some flaws:
  • To move objects to a different layer, you can't simply drag them to a layer tab. Rather, select the target layer, select objects (you can select objects on all visible layers, not only the active one), then cut and paste (ctrl-x, ctrl-v). You can even paste to a hidden layer, but then you won't see much of what you're doing...
  • The entry about "layers, arranging" is not about layers but stacking order (which is what the OP was confused about).
I have searched for a way to rearrange the order of the tabs. There don't seem to be a way (...short of adding a layer where you want it, moving all objects to that layer and removing the old layer). Not a major issue, but sometimes it would be nice to group the tabs differently.
keme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keme wrote:
[...]
The help system has some flaws:
  • To move objects to a different layer, you can't simply drag them to a layer tab. [...]

oops... Someone looking over my shoulder corrected me promptly. In the OOo 2.0 release candidate versions, the "drag to tab" works. There's still confusion about stacking/layering in the help system, though...
marwerno
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Layers quite frequently. I. e. when rearranging my room, office, restaurating my old house:
But the basic layout in one layer (things you can't change). Lock this layer so you don't accidently move things.
Now create another layer, putting "moveable things" in it.
Now create another layer, putting the moveable things in another position (and hidding the original layout of the moveable things)
Voila: You can play trough a number of different layout possibillities, all nicely in one documents. Make 2 layers visible at the same time for easy comparision.

Or on renovating my house: Have layers for the differnet floors: You can nicely see what is below the toilet on the first floor on ground level (or something like that Smile

However I REALLY would llike to see a DXF or DWG export/ import function for draw: That would be THE BIGGEST!
Warrick Nelson
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The layers work quite well for on-screen use - but creating a pdf seems to put all layers into the pdf, even those marked non-visible and non-printing.

I can print only one layer, but not export the same thing to pdf. However, using pdfcreator, it works as for physical printing.

Am I doing something wrong in the settings?
OOuser

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warrick Nelson wrote:
The layers work quite well for on-screen use - but creating a pdf seems to put all layers into the pdf, even those marked non-visible and non-printing.

I can print only one layer, but not export the same thing to pdf. However, using pdfcreator, it works as for physical printing.

Am I doing something wrong in the settings?

Set the layers you dont want in the PDF as non-printable, then EDIT > SELECT ALL. Go to FILE > EDIT AS PDF. Choose the save name and directory. Under PDF Options, select Range as Selection, then export the drawing.
crashkahuna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: I don't get layers Reply with quote

I must be missing something. If I create more that 1 layer and insert a picture it appears in all layers. How do you use layers? Thanks
OOuser

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: I don't get layers Reply with quote

crashkahuna wrote:
I must be missing something. If I create more that 1 layer and insert a picture it appears in all layers. How do you use layers? Thanks

The default layers 'Layout', 'Control', 'Dimension Lines' (plus any new layers you create), allow you to select whether the layer is visible, whether it is printable and whether it is locked. Layers are set as visible, printable and unlocked by default. When you insert a picture into the active layer (the active layer has a white tab) then you can right-click on the tab, select 'Modify Layer...', then uncheck or check the checkboxes (Visible, Printable, Locked).

Hope this helps.
roadbike
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marwerno...................You can open a dxf into DRAW. I haven't found a way to preserve the layers though.

If it is a large file (2 MB) it will have slight errors, and some shapes will be deformed when comparing the DRAW drawing to the origional dxf.

Does anyone know of a way to preserve the layer info in the dfx when opening with draw?
essdeeay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't get layers Reply with quote

crashkahuna wrote:

Layers are not like pieces of paper where the topmost one covers the ones beneath it etc.

Layers are simply groups of various objects. For example, if you didn't want to accidentally select/move any objects, you would put them in a layer by themselves and 'lock' that layer.

If you want an object to appear above/below another object you must play around with the 'Arrange' option (from the right-click menu is easiest).

If only OO supported layers as we all know and love them life would be easier. But hey, it's free!

Steve Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: