OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Extending the limits of OOo Writer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ageissel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Extending the limits of OOo Writer? Reply with quote

I'mm working on a project that assembles a document from a database using OOo Writer, where certain added-value operations as applied, and eventually a PDF is generated for printing (as in publication, not ink-jet).

We're hoping to include PDF content at certain locations within the document, but this appears to be a no-no (although it is a compelling reason for supporting PDFs, at least using linking & embedding type technique). The reason for PDF content is that it allows pre-existing commercial artwork to be included.

So, the next plan of attack was to reduce the PDF to an EPS, but EPSs are only vaguely supported in OOo, and I still have not managed to get the Java plugin to work. So much for plan B.

Has someone done something similar, and has worked a process for including PDF content into a high-quality document into PDF?

My plan-C is to convert the PDF to a bitmap, and go with that, but the potential file sizes are considerable!

The second limit that I appear to have encountered is running full colour to the edge of the page - the page border is a hard-limit on the output, and the problem is that there is no bleed allowance possible - not so good for real printing.

Is anyone aware of a post-production option that can be used on a PDF to ammend the page size, so that if I over spec the page size by 5mm all round to allow my colour elements to extend past the page boundary, that the page size can be reduced by the same amount, but still retain the bleed space?

Again, any experiences shared will be more that welcome.

I should state that I am an avid user, promoter and general fan of OOo since 1999, and don't think that I could live with any other Office application!

Many thanks,
Adrian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: