OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Printing problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fotojoed
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Printing problem Reply with quote

My printer (an Epson R320) will not print any document which is opened in Open Office and I have to remove and re-add the printer to the utilities each time that happens or it won't print anything at all.

Epson says it is an imcompatibility issue with the software. I reinstalled the printer software but that didn't help.

On my Windows PC I have had no problem printing the same OO files and being able to use Open Office was the #1 reason I switched to a Mac!

Anyone have any ideas what I can do to short of buying an expensive office suite?
I use word, excell. and presentation forms on my Mac.
PromptJock
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Printing problem Reply with quote

fotojoed wrote:
My printer (an Epson R320) will not print any document which is opened in Open Office and I have to remove and re-add the printer to the utilities each time that happens or it won't print anything at all.

Epson says it is an imcompatibility issue with the software. I reinstalled the printer software but that didn't help.

On my Windows PC I have had no problem printing the same OO files and being able to use Open Office was the #1 reason I switched to a Mac!

Anyone have any ideas what I can do to short of buying an expensive office suite?
I use word, excell. and presentation forms on my Mac.

I use an Epson CX6600 and it prints just fine from OOo. CAVEAT: my printer is on a USB-Ethernet printserver (Airlink 102+ USB2 unit), rather than directly connected via USB!

Back to the question: you sure the printer port itself is configured right? if it is, try changing the Protocol to "Raw" rather than "LPR" and make sure it Spools the job before printing rather than directly talking to it.

Finally, depending on the OS you're using, visit the Epson site and download the latest printer driver for your printer (if you haven't already done that).

That's all I can think of. Good luck... Smile
fotojoed
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be so much of a newbie but, how do i go about checking the printer port configuration?
PromptJock
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotojoed wrote:
Sorry to be so much of a newbie but, how do i go about checking the printer port configuration?

Assuming you're using Windows, do the following:

1) Open Control Panel
2) Select Printers and Fax
3) Find your installed printer and verify there's a check mark next to it. If there isn't one:
- Right-click the desired printer
- Select Make default from the drop-down menu
- The printer should now have a check mark next to it, indocating it's the desired printer
Otherwise, continue.
4) Once you've located your desired printer and made it the default, Right-click it and select Properties
5) Find the "Ports, advanced" tab/button. You should see some information on print spooling (yes or print direct), data format (LPN or RAW, etc.). Enable spooling and "RAW" format.
6) "OK" click your way out of the Control Panel to save the settings. You don't have to reboot the machine.

Now then, from inside and OOo application: select "File, Print..." from the menu bar. Your desired printer should be set as the default printer. If it isn't, click on the arrow button next to the window indicating the printer OOo is going to use - you should see one or more selections (one of them MIGHT be "Microsoft Office Image Writer" or something similar). Double-click the desired printer to make it the default. Now, click the "Properties" button, which will run the previously-used Control Panel applet and click the Print Test Page button at the bottom of the applet's window. Hopefully, a test page will be printed - if it is printed (and I think it will), click the "YES" button on the "Did the page print correctly?", then "OK" yourself back to the document. At this time, whatever open OOo document (Writer doc, calc spreadsheet, etc.) should be sent to the printer.

If, after doing all this, you still can't get a printout, consider doing an "File, Export to PDF" and see if whatever PDF reader you have (i.e. Adobe Acrobat) can read the produced document. If it can, then you can use this as a workaround instead: Export OOo document to "PDF", read new "PDF", then print from "PDF" reader.

That's the best I can do without actually personally "pawing" your machine. Wink
fotojoed
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but I thought this forum was for Mac users...

I am using an I'mac with the tiger OS.

I do want to say that Open Office documents that won't print. Photos, e-mail and everything else does print.
PromptJock
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotojoed wrote:
Sorry but I thought this forum was for Mac users...

I am using an I'mac with the tiger OS.

I do want to say that Open Office documents that won't print. Photos, e-mail and everything else does print.

It's for ANYONE who "does the OOo", regardless of the platform. Windows just happens to have the largest # of users. Smile

Since your a Mac-cer, I imagine you can still access the printer's "properties" when you tell OOo to print from the Menu Bar. I sincerely apologise for not having "Mac-sperience" and for not closely reading your original interrogative (need new reading glasses, I suppose? Embarassed ).

Anyhoo, please accept my apologies and I sincerely hope you get the problem resolved. Smile
fotojoed
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I didn't say i had a Mac...my apologies.

One problem I do have is that the "properties" window I was used to seeing with my PC is no longer there, though it does print well with non OO documents.

Thanks for your help.
jakeosx
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you hit print, are you selecting your printer from the print dialog? if so, give it a shot with "generic printer" which _should_ default to your main printer.

an ugly but guaranteed to work way is this: make the document a PDF and print it via Preview.

unfortunately the print methods of OO.oX11 have been iffy since the beginning.

oh, go into your system preferences and make sure your printer is set to 'default' (or something similar, i'm not on a mac at the moment to check)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: