OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

carriage return line feed in html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anthonyahw
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: carriage return line feed in html Reply with quote

Can anyone help please?

1.When I write a html file, and hit return for each line, it looks fine on writing, but after saving and viewing there is an extra line that i don't want. I get the notion it is a throw back of the difference between unix and dos. How can I toggle it off, instead of writing to the end of a lien and forcing line wrap please?

2.Also I use page numbering, in a large legal doc of about 300 pages. Can I use a hyper link to jump to a page number rather than set a bookmark for each page number please?
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: carriage return line feed in html Reply with quote

Anthonyahw wrote:
1.When I write a html file, and hit return for each line, it looks fine on writing, but after saving and viewing there is an extra line that i don't want.

A hard return is a paragraph break, and the default style for paragraphs in HTML is to double-space between paragraphs. You'll need to either edit the HTML file to define paragraphs or edit the Writer file to use soft returns (shift+enter) which create simply a line break in HTML. However, this second approach may cause problems, because it just creates a long paragraph and that might not be what you need.

Please understand that Writer is not the best tool for creating HTML. I think you'd be better off with an actual HTML editor.

Anthonyahw wrote:
2.Also I use page numbering, in a large legal doc of about 300 pages. Can I use a hyper link to jump to a page number rather than set a bookmark for each page number please?

What exactly are you trying to do? Create a linked table of contents? Create cross-references in the document body? Both? Something else? There are a number of ways to link to pages, but the best way depends on what you're trying to create. Please be more specific.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
acknak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use the Navigator (F5 or double-click the page number in the status bar at the bottom of the window) to jump to any page.
Anthonyahw
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: thank you here are the examples Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the reply.

I find OO writer great for what I want to do, it just has that problem.
The best way to show you is to ask you to link to my site.

http://www.forceofdestiny.co.uk/Literature/Questor/Logic.html

or

http://logiclaw.co.uk/S6T.html

The main site is no problem eg:

http://www.logiclaw.co.uk

I am using web plus by serif, but that is a complex package for producing nice designs, whereas when I add pages I want very much to use OO.
Have a look at the lines in boxed frames,
They close any gaps when the line goes over the page width.
But when I hit return between lines I get an extra line I don't want so my page gets longer.

Would be grateful to resolve I don't want to move away from OO..

----------------------------------------------------------------
The pages have headers and footers that have page number X of XX and it would be nice to just go to a page in addition to and rather than hyperlinked to sections in the index.

The words IN the header / footer are hyperlinked to main isections / ndexes

The second part question is for example this case

Winter v London Borough Camden. 10/02/07 Index1 Bundle One. Page 8 of 320

Supplement Index of fifteen sections (Index1)
addressing each particular of breach.

1.The Road Traffic Act 1991, section 66 (3), 70, mistake of fact, nullity, unenforceable.
2.The Road Traffic Act 1991, SCHEDULE 6.2. (7), Unlawful and wilful negligence
3.Disability Discrimination Act 2005 Chapter 13, 2, 5, 21B 1, 21E ,49A Disfavoured
4.Protection from Harassment Act 1997, Chapter 40, 1. - (1), (a), (b). Breached.
5.Human Rights Act 1998 (UK) Chapter 42, 6. - (1), and (6),14. - (1) EU P5, A6, Derogeted
6.The European Convention on Human Rights, Protocol 5, Articles 6, 8, 1,2, 14. Breached
7.Tort, Breach of Statutory duties,Negligence in the above recitals, duty of care, dereliction.
8.Magna Carta. Relevant clauses 39, 40. To be determined if claimant gains this at court.
9.Declaration and Bill of Rights 1668-9. TWO de facto contrarieties of de jure constitutional declarations that are as close to the pure form of contradictions as to make present rulings at PATAS logically untenable.
10.The Administration of Justice Act 1970 S.40, 1:-- (1),(a), d. (2).Manner & some frequency..
11. Freedom of Information Act 2000. 10. - (1). Breached wilfully.
12. Misrepresentation Act 1967, in general terms, negligent and fraudulent spin.
13.One other Act, breach and clarification to be unfolded at stage 2, or at the outcome of case.
14. Deposing false statements and allegations, - as truths.
15. Malfeasance. AND 16. Theft Act 1967 Fraud Act 2006.

The claimant's position is that enforcement under DPE is wholly acceptable where the purposes of statute are followed, scrupulously and fairly as therein directed. Enforcement for trivia while trivialising ones own contraventions is unacceptable, biased and contrary to any notion of natural justice and reasonable conduct towards ones fellow community members, in ones electorate that confers brief authority in the powers of office.. Where reasonable the claimant submits to the law without challenge, this issue was unreasonable, and the law has been broken seriously by the defendant, as shall be proven, in many respects beyond reasonable doubt, and in some beyond a shadow.

Top Main Index ( Claim Nr. 6CL ..... ) End QR 20C Supplement ` Index 1. Page 8
Anthonyahw
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(shift+enter) which create simply a line break in HTML. However, this second approach may cause problems, because it just creates a long paragraph and that might not be what you need.

Shift enter has DONE THE TRICK, THANKYOU for that answer

One of the major problems over, but does it cause problems with printing or export to pdf? Guess I will try it, but so long as the appearance is ok that looks like the fix for the extra line problem.
Thank you thank you.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't normally do much with my web page but I have noted the problem with saving normal text as an HTML file and others have also mentioned this. I decided to write a macro to attempt to make this process easier.

The macro expects that you will let normal paragraphs simply screen wrap and that you will separate normal paragraphs with a blank paragraph. It will then insert a line break at the end of each screen line and reduce the two paragraph breaks to one. It is up to you to set the page wide to what fits your web page area.

I haven't done much testing of the macro so if you have complaints let me know.

FWIW, if you every need to remove all the line breaks breaks from such a processed document you can search for \n replace with a space and check Regular Expressions.
Code:
Option Explicit
Sub InsertLineBreaks
On Error goto ErrorHandler
Dim oDoc, oVC, e$
oDoc = ThisComponent
oVC = oDoc.CurrentController.getViewCursor
oVC.gotoStart(false)
REM Skip over blank paragraphs at the beginning, if any.
Do While oVC.goRight(1,true)
 If Asc(oVC.String) = 13 OR Asc(oVC.String) = 10 then
   oVC.collapseToEnd
  Else oVC.collapseToStart : Exit Do
 EndIf
Loop
REM Process rest of document.
Do While oVC.goRight(1,true)
 If Asc(oVC.String) = 13 then
   oVC.String = ""
   oVC.goRight(1,False)
  Else oVC.gotoEndOfLine(false)
   oVC.goRight(1,true)
   If Asc(oVC.String) <> 10 AND Asc(oVC.String) <> 13 then
     oVC.collapseToStart
     oVC.String = Chr(10)
     oVC.collapseToEnd
    ElseIf Asc(oVC.String) = 13 then
     oVC.collapseToEnd
    Else oVC.collapseToStart
   EndIf
EndIf
Loop
Exit Sub
ErrorHandler:
If err <> 5 then
 e$ = "An unexpected error #" & err & " occurred in line " & erl & "."
 e$ = e$ & Chr(13) & "The error message is:" & Chr(13) & Error$
 MsgBox e$
EndIf
End
End Sub
Anthonyahw
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this! very much.
I am not well into programming code, used to write in Csh and C 20yrs ago, now its all a re-learning curve.
I don't understand for sure, is this a standalone macro and how do I run it, or do I place it in the OO section where I can install a macro, and if so, how then do I run it. Sorry to be a fool here. but it sonds much better than playing with each line to just do as I do usually, then run your macro?
I presume go to tools, and organise macros, but is this java? and how do I proceed from there please?
I am most grateful.

Also did anyone have any idea to got each page number in a header by a ctrl or click. Even some auto mumber and auto bookmark would help, this is going on for 340 now and will be 600 pages
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my HowTo for using macros found here. Let me know if it doesn't answer your questions.
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=7995
This macro should be saved in the My Macros > Standard library so it is not unique to just one document. I think this will make sense after you read the HowTo.
Quote:
Also did anyone have any idea to got each page number in a header by a ctrl or click. Even some auto mumber and auto bookmark would help, this is going on for 340 now and will be 600 pages
Well if we are not talking about an HTML file here it's simple.

Open a header (Insert > Header). With cursor in the header do Insert > Fields > Page Number. You will have to do this for the header in each page style you use but I assume you are only using a few.
Anthonyahw
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this,
Midnight here in UK,
will try that out tomorrow.

When I put a page number of so many pages the pages are auto numbered.....That's not the problem I want to jump tp a page number.
So I have either a odt, html or pdf file that is already numbered. How do I GOTO with sequence of clicks is the question?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: