OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Copernic Desktop Search: WARNING!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarcoPolo
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Copernic Desktop Search: WARNING! Reply with quote

I installed Copernic Desktop Search 2 (CDS) on my PC running Windows XP SP2. After the indexing had competed, OpenOffice 2.03 crashed repeatedly shortly after startup. I uninstalled CDS and did a system restore to a point before installing CDS. After this Ooo ran normally but stayed in the registering loop until I checked "I am already registered". Moreover the Recent Documents history was lost. Still worse, my toolbar customization links to macro's were broken and some of my macro libraries were gone.
It took me a day to repair all the damage. Take care!
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered why I couldn't find a recent thread about this. There was an error in the application name. See this and the following post about problems running Copernic (or whatever it's called) at the same time as OpenOffice.

It's thoughtful of you to report your experience.
MarcoPolo
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noranthon, I didn't have Copernic Desktop Search running when I opened Ooo the first time after CDS had indexed. I don't like programs running when I don't need them and I also avoid as much as possible to run programs at startup. Moreover my problems were not with the help function (after I did the system restore), I had broken links, loss of history and macro's.
Also Skype did malfunction: my username and password were not remembered and I had to ask Skype for a new set. Consider also that the user you referred to might have had an earlier version of CDS. Mine is version 2, which was only recently released.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. I've been running Copernic Desktop Search for a year and I've never had any issue with it. But I only let it index data files, that's all (no internet search, no pics, no music or video, ...).

For such soft, you should let him run in background in order to have an index always up to date. Anyway, it runs only when you don't use your machine.
MarcoPolo
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of CDS are you using Hagar? Mine is v. 2.
robina
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem at all with Copernic 2.02, OOo 2.1, Windows XP SP2. I only run Copernic when I need it, it does not run all the time. Copernic indexes correctly all the ODF documents produced by OOo.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to work. So my version is 1.7.

[Edit] Upgraded yesterday to 2.02, no issue.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if this is not linked with this kind of problem : general input output error... AGAIN!!!!!.

It seems that OOo is lost when an other application tries to read files OOo is handling (especially the temporary ones I guess).

MarcoPolo, do you remember what were the settings concerning indexation ? Did it include folders used for temporary files ? My CDS is set to index only folders where my data are (but no folders like /Application data/).
MarcoPolo
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagar, you may be right that this general input/ouput error is the culprit. However, when I was indexing OOo was NOT running. I let CDS run for a couple of hours. Interrupting only a few times to look at my e-mail. I didn't enter any indexing settings, CDS was indexing in its default configuration (just everything). You remember that also my username and password settings for Skype were corrupted, so it is not only OOo suffering. Anyway, CDS should not corrupt files, this is a bug, don't you think?
CDS help desk sent me this answer:
Quote:
We have tried to reproduce this problem without success so far. Unfortunately we will consider this as a known problem for the moment. We will communicate with you if we can identify the problem and provide you with a solution but I am afraid that for now there is no solution nor workaround available
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, you're right, sorry. I'd not read again your post !

You said that CDS was not running when you opened OOo before it crashes but in fact CDS was still in memory I guess (even if not indexing). But this is indeed a strange issue related to CDS itself. Have you tried again an installation to see if it was reproductible ?
MarcoPolo
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, CDS was not running when I started OOo. I always exit resident programs as much as possible when I don't need them to avoid conflicts and save computer speed.
I am not going to try to reproduce the problem because of the time it costs me to repair my OOo settings. Until the folks at Copernic have reproduced the corrupting and found a solution I am going to live without indexing my HD. I will survive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: