OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

is there an alternative to Microsoft Publisher?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
INC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: is there an alternative to Microsoft Publisher? Reply with quote

Hello,

We are community Distributors of OpenOffice. Everytime we inform our clients, and other end users about OpenOffice they always have 1 question. "Does OpenOffice have a program that will open, edit, and create Publisher files?" Anyone have an answer to this?
F.503.366.3042
www.incnetworx.com
enine
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a program called scribus which is open source, however I have been unable to open publishes files with it. However Microsoft publisher has the same issue, newer verions of publisher do not support some older versions which makes publisher a bad choice even when using MS office.
INC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks enine! I will pass this information on.
F.503.366.3042
www.incnetworx.com
enine
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One note though, scribus is not integrated with OOo, it is a seperate project.program.
mfitch62
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Beware of Publisher Reply with quote

I know a professional printer who often receives Publisher files from customers and they are almost always a huge headache. Encourage people to go with Pagemaker, Quark, Indesign, or Scribus. My printer friend usually has to take the time to recreate the file in Pagemaker format since Publisher files can't be printed directly to offset plates for printing.
Corfy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only program I know of that opens Publisher files is Publisher. For some reason, Microsoft doesn't even have a Publisher "viewer" (they have reader programs, called "viewers" for Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoiint, and Visio, but not Publisher).

And mfitch62, I know what you mean. I work for a newspaper that also handles commercial printing jobs, and it amazes me how many documents we get as Publisher files... or worse, Word files. Ever had to print a 32-page Word document with heavy formatting and lots and lots of fonts? Oy.
INC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are any of those programs (Quark, Pagemaker, Indesign, Scribus) open source? Reason why I am asking is becuase I have some Microsoft clients who are looking to get out from Publisher.
F.503.366.3042
www.incnetworx.com
tico
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INC wrote:
Are any of those programs (Quark, Pagemaker, Indesign, Scribus) open source? Reason why I am asking is becuase I have some Microsoft clients who are looking to get out from Publisher.

Scribus is opensource. It works fine for me. They release new version very often.
enine
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, publisher is a bad program, newer versions won;t even open files from older versions. MsWorks is another bad one as is MS Money. Even if you have a customer who wants to use Microsoft software tell them to at least stay away from those three apps.
Luc
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corfy wrote:
The only program I know of that opens Publisher files is Publisher. For some reason, Microsoft doesn't even have a Publisher "viewer" (they have reader programs, called "viewers" for Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoiint, and Visio, but not Publisher).

And mfitch62, I know what you mean. I work for a newspaper that also handles commercial printing jobs, and it amazes me how many documents we get as Publisher files... or worse, Word files. Ever had to print a 32-page Word document with heavy formatting and lots and lots of fonts? Oy.

Nope!

Something you have to know is that Pagemaker CAN read and edit MS-Publisher's .PUB files.
It has an external converter that does the job Seamlessly!

Luke
Corfy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luc wrote:
Nope!

Something you have to know is that Pagemaker CAN read and edit MS-Publisher's .PUB files.
It has an external converter that does the job Seamlessly!

Luke

I didn't know that. Of course, I haven't used PageMaker in years. I'm not even sure we have a copy of it at the office.

If PageMaker could do it, can InDesign (since they are both Adobe products)? Or do you know? That we have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: