OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Migrating from Word 2000 to OO.org Writer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kermitfrog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Migrating from Word 2000 to OO.org Writer Reply with quote

Hello. I am looking at replacing Word 2000 with OO Writer 2.1 for most of our users. At this stage I am testing it myself. I expect for some users some features will be make or break.

An example of this is something as simple as selecting text. In Word 2000 if you click to the far-left you can select an entire row with one click. How hard would it be to make OO Writer behave like this?

Don't get me wrong here. I am not looking for a free rewrite of MS Word. I am just wanting to know how flexible it is?

Also, how much success have others had with user acceptance?
gwolfBonanza
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it is different, I have had no more trouble with OOo writer/Calc than the MS products. Frankly, we have 9 computers here running it, and it is great!

Things it does well - easy letters and formatting, cals is great with easy to access features

Not so well - graphs in clac are a little simple, but I like that becuase you can get lost doing pretty, when a simple line graph will do.

LONG time MS user (back to the 80's).
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Migrating from Word 2000 to OO.org Writer Reply with quote

kermitfrog wrote:
Hello. I am looking at replacing Word 2000 with OO Writer 2.1 for most of our users. At this stage I am testing it myself. I expect for some users some features will be make or break.

An example of this is something as simple as selecting text. In Word 2000 if you click to the far-left you can select an entire row with one click. How hard would it be to make OO Writer behave like this?

Don't get me wrong here. I am not looking for a free rewrite of MS Word. I am just wanting to know how flexible it is?

Also, how much success have others had with user acceptance?

I've made that same migration for only myself. I've been using Writer for over a year and haven't touched Word again in all that time. Please click the link in my sig line---that takes you to a page containing very useful user guides, including "gatting started" in OOo and migrating from Office to OOo. These were the first documents I explored and I found them immensely useful. Farther down the page are the Writer user guide, the Draw guide, etc. These might also help answer some of your questions.

To add to gwolfBonanza's list of OOo strengths, I've been very happy with Writer's ability to handle master documents and conditional text---setting up the same variable in each sub document and in the master document, I can enter the value once in the master document and it will correctly process in all of the sub documents, so I can create different versions of my documents just based on the value of that variable. In a lone-writer shop like mine, that's a highly economical alternative to more expensive and extensive single-sourcing systems. For me, that was the deal-maker. I can put up with a few slightly more awkward or just plain different ways of doing things (but in some cases, those different ways are actually a good thing) just to have that capability. In free software!

Good luck!

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
kermitfrog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments people. I have downloaded those documents foxcole, and plan to sift through them.
So far so good. I am surprised how well V2.1 opens Word documents. So far it's near perfect which is a long way from what I remember of V1.0 Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: