OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OpenOffice Being Sold For $57 At www-openoffice.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brax

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice Being Sold For $57 At www-openoffice.com Reply with quote

I came across this site today when I googled Open Office:
http://www-openoffice.com/
As you can see they call it 'Open Office' and I assumed since it was $57 it wasn't in fact the free open source Open Office that I love. However upon further investigation I came to the conclusion that this is in fact the free Open Office created by SUN being sold by this site for $57. If you take a look at their video presentation it looks exactly like the FREE open source OpenOffice. I could honestly be wrong and this could be a misunderstanding, however it really looks like this is illegal and somebody should do something about it.
Mark B
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always feel that there's something rather immoral about doing this type of thing, but there's nothing actually illegal about it: http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/mostfaqs.html#3

Mark
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems they've additional features :
Quote:
Open Office Features:
Bonus Anti-virus program included *
1 Year Premium Support Included *
Reads and writes PDF files just like Adobe

So the support may be of some help for few users (but what is the support quality ?)
The 'Reads (...) PDF files just like Adobe' feature is rather strange ; have they developed a viewer module ? or an import filter ?
NB: ClamWin, the anti-virus is of course a free and open source application !

But it doesn't sound very professional. Promising a 100% compatibility with MS Office is a bit optimistic. The 'OpenOffice' name is a trademark, it may be them that had locked it, leading to the OpenOffice.org label for the open version.
acknak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I paranoid, or is the vast majority of IT-related business is simply not trustworthy? Maybe all business is like this and I'm only familiar with one small part, but it sure seems to be true for software. It's one reason I've come to chuckle when people tout the wonderland of commercial software available for Windows. For every legitimate product, there are a hundred illegitimate knock-offs sold by pirates. Even the legitimate vendors pull all kinds of semi-fraudulent stunts like selling cheap, semi-crippled "home" versions just to get you hooked on their file formats. And even a trustworthy vendor may go out of business, leaving you with a lot of worthless files when the software stops working.

I'm not a "Free Software hippie", but at least when I can choose to download a free, no-strings attached, no hucksters hawking, no adware popping, no virus infecting piece of software, I can be reasonably sure that some creep hasn't dreamed up a new way to scam me. I guess it's only a matter of time before some joker starts distributing a modified OOo, bundled or infected with malware of some kind. And would Sun (or anyone) have the means to stop them? Gee, maybe we should think about starting an "OOoGA" project--it's already got a great name Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: