OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

class management base

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fleeper99
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: class management base Reply with quote

Hello,

I am trying to create a dance/gymnastics school class database. I can create a table that has each students info, but how do i create a table with all the different classes (days and times) and then have an option in the original table to get the the individual students into the appropriate classes?

If I made a table with the classes, do I then somehow create a report that links the two and puts the students int he appropriate classes?

I hope this makes sense.

fleeper
QuazzieEvil
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you do not already , create a form to input data into the student info table. NOTE: the student info table must have a field for the class the student blongs to.

NOW: on the form, create a combo box, which get is data from the class table, and the value is linked to the class field in the student info table.
fleeper99
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will actually need multiple fields for different classes---what properties do i give these classes?

The classes are broke down by day and time, i.e., Monday 3:00pm is one class and Tuesday 4:15 is another class...the student could be enrolled in both of these and in other classes also. It would be a max of 4 classes per student per week.

QUICK EDIT--I do not see a template for a class table. Is there any way I should go with this?

Thanks for the help.
QuazzieEvil
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your day class can have ID, NAME,DESCRIPTION,DAY,TIME columns.
Preferably you want the Id to be an auto-incrementing integer.

If a student can belong to several classes, then it would be best to have a separate table

could be something like this:

STUDENTCLASSES:
ID
STUDENTID
CLASSID

Your input form may now need to have a main form and a sub form to add/manage student classes.
fleeper99
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok,

I have the sub-form created ( i think this will work best). I gave a max of five different classes that each student could belong to. How do I insert some sort of lookup in each class blank to get the student into the right class?

Sorry for all of the questions but I do thanks you so very much!

Fleeper

EDIT--I found the forms control toolbar, but it is greyed out and I cannot seem to use it to make some sort of list box. Fleeper
QuazzieEvil
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use a different form/query. This should query the STUDENTCLASSES table. for more user friendly results, you may want to create a query that combines the CLASS and STUDENTCLASSES table. This way, you will get the class name/description as well as student's name, rather than CLASSID, STUDENTID (which may be integers and not mean much to a human reader)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: