OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Does nobody use OLE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Does nobody use OLE? Reply with quote

I have asked about the failure of OLE linking both here and on the mailing lists, and have received no responses at all. This leads me to wonder if ANYBODY else even tries to insert OLE links from Calc to Writer? Surely if aomeone else had tried, they would be able to confirm the problem, or report contrary findings.

I'm surprised that such a basic function's failure to work has drawn so little response. Given that DDE insertion butchers the formatting, and OLE updating does not happen, how do people insert links from Calc to Writer, or do they just not bother?

OOo 2.4/XP Pro SP2 / OOo 2.3.0.1/OpenSuse 10.3
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi maxqnz,

Would you reply to your original question here so we will see it as a new post again? In the mean time have your tried inserting your Calc item as a Floating Frame? May help but then I don't know what the question was. Wink
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
Hi maxqnz,

Would you reply to your original question here so we will see it as a new post again? In the mean time have your tried inserting your Calc item as a Floating Frame? May help but then I don't know what the question was. Wink

Thanks, John. I opened a new thread because I was interested in the new question. (No, really, I swear. Smile ) As for floating frames, thanks. That looks like the closest there is, although I have to close the linked sxw and then reopen, after saving changes to the sxc, to get it to update. I had been hoping that the link would update automagically, so that I could keep a spreadsheet as a template, for invoices, and print off copies of an updated sxw version. Still,something is better than nothing, so thanks again.

OOo 2.4/XP Pro SP2 / OOo 2.3.0.1/OpenSuse 10.3
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm still am not sure what you want to do but try double clicking into the floating frame spreadsheet and directly changing an item there. While working this way you will probably want to turn on View > Toolbars > Formula Bar.

When you close the Writer doc you should be prompted as to whether you want to save the changes you have made to the underlying spreadsheet.

The Floating Frame is a subject hardly every mentioned here. It needs more exposure so we understand exactly what is going on. Is it OLE, DDE or magic? I've never really quite understood the difference between OLE and DDE so if you can explain it you can do me a favor.
writ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxqnz,

Ok. well I struggled with this for a long time until I found a post from dfrench at

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4592&highlight=

I think that this should also solve your problem. cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: