OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum
 
 [Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Page Margins

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
blondy2061h
General User
General User


Joined: 29 Oct 2005
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Page Margins Reply with quote

I see how to change margins, however, every paper I write needs to be 1 inch margins. The default is .79 inches, so everytime I type a paper I need to change it. How can I make 1 inch defualt, so I don't need to change it everytime?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jeanweber
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Posts: 674
Location: Queensland, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Page Margins Reply with quote

blondy2061h wrote:
I see how to change margins, however, every paper I write needs to be 1 inch margins. The default is .79 inches, so everytime I type a paper I need to change it. How can I make 1 inch defualt, so I don't need to change it everytime?

Do it once, save the document as a template, then set that template as the default Writer template. For more info, see http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/0210WG-WorkingWithTemplatesInWriter.pdf
_________________
Regards, Jean Hollis Weber
Get free PDFs of OOo user guides from http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/
Printed copies http://www.lulu.com/opendocument
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
blondy2061h
General User
General User


Joined: 29 Oct 2005
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thank you. Exactly what I wanted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zaphraud
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Page Margins Reply with quote

jeanweber wrote:
blondy2061h wrote:
I see how to change margins, however, every paper I write needs to be 1 inch margins. The default is .79 inches, so everytime I type a paper I need to change it. How can I make 1 inch defualt, so I don't need to change it everytime?

Do it once, save the document as a template, then set that template as the default Writer template. For more info, see http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/0210WG-WorkingWithTemplatesInWriter.pdf


I'd much rather actually change the default, rather than make a template I just made myself be the default from that point on out, because if one actually changes this absurd error (.79 inches? WTF?!?!?) to something reasonable (I prefer the less tree-slaughtering .5 inch margin myself for printing documentation) - I mean damn, at least use a round number, WHAT WAS WRONG WITH .8?

So yeah, this needs fixed, not overridden. How to fix, aside from grep sed and recompile?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Caracalla
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast


Joined: 20 Dec 2006
Posts: 113
Location: Netherlands, EU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Page Margins Reply with quote

zaphraud wrote:
jeanweber wrote:
blondy2061h wrote:
I see how to change margins, however, every paper I write needs to be 1 inch margins. The default is .79 inches, so everytime I type a paper I need to change it. How can I make 1 inch defualt, so I don't need to change it everytime?

Do it once, save the document as a template, then set that template as the default Writer template. For more info, see http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/0210WG-WorkingWithTemplatesInWriter.pdf


I'd much rather actually change the default, rather than make a template I just made myself be the default from that point on out, because if one actually changes this absurd error (.79 inches? WTF?!?!?) to something reasonable (I prefer the less tree-slaughtering .5 inch margin myself for printing documentation) - I mean damn, at least use a round number, WHAT WAS WRONG WITH .8?

ah, but it is a round number, 2 centimeters. It just comes across a little odd after converting to the imperial system, that's all. Admittedly, a round setting in the imperial system might make more sense for the US version.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
foxcole
Super User
Super User


Joined: 19 Jan 2006
Posts: 2771
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Page Margins Reply with quote

zaphraud wrote:
I'd much rather actually change the default, rather than make a template I just made myself be the default from that point on out, because if one actually changes this absurd error (.79 inches? WTF?!?!?) to something reasonable (I prefer the less tree-slaughtering .5 inch margin myself for printing documentation) - I mean damn, at least use a round number, WHAT WAS WRONG WITH .8?

So yeah, this needs fixed, not overridden. How to fix, aside from grep sed and recompile?

My apologties, but what was your point besides the fact that you don't like .79 inches (and that you prefer to use impolite language to express it)? You mention wanting to change the default, but left the point dangling there...

I'm trying to understand what you feel might be wrong with setting your own template as default---that is, what difference does it make whether you use the built-in default template or one of your own choosing? Once you set a template as default, it's all the same from there on out... right? Or not?

I can sympathize with the fact that a metric value that doesn't translate to an even number in the measures you're used to seeing seems senseless, even awkward and uncomfortable, but really, most of the world operates in metric, so the base measures used in OOo are actually quite natural. Unfortunately they don't neatly translate to tidy fractions of imperial measures. That's not something you can just "fix," but you can create your own more comfortable templates... which, in the end, effectively equals a fix because all your documents will use the styles you define there.

---Well, it equals a fix in my opinion, which is one you don't share, but nor should you need to. I'd just like to better understand your point of view.
_________________
Cheers!
---Fox

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group