OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Page Margins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blondy2061h
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Page Margins Reply with quote

I see how to change margins, however, every paper I write needs to be 1 inch margins. The default is .79 inches, so everytime I type a paper I need to change it. How can I make 1 inch defualt, so I don't need to change it everytime?
jeanweber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Page Margins Reply with quote

blondy2061h wrote:
I see how to change margins, however, every paper I write needs to be 1 inch margins. The default is .79 inches, so everytime I type a paper I need to change it. How can I make 1 inch defualt, so I don't need to change it everytime?

Do it once, save the document as a template, then set that template as the default Writer template. For more info, see http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/0210WG-WorkingWithTemplatesInWriter.pdf
blondy2061h
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thank you. Exactly what I wanted.
zaphraud

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Page Margins Reply with quote

jeanweber wrote:
blondy2061h wrote:

Do it once, save the document as a template, then set that template as the default Writer template. For more info, see http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/0210WG-WorkingWithTemplatesInWriter.pdf

I'd much rather actually change the default, rather than make a template I just made myself be the default from that point on out, because if one actually changes this absurd error (.79 inches? WTF?!?!?) to something reasonable (I prefer the less tree-slaughtering .5 inch margin myself for printing documentation) - I mean damn, at least use a round number, WHAT WAS WRONG WITH .8?

So yeah, this needs fixed, not overridden. How to fix, aside from grep sed and recompile?
Caracalla
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Page Margins Reply with quote

zaphraud wrote:
jeanweber wrote:
blondy2061h wrote:

I'd much rather actually change the default, rather than make a template I just made myself be the default from that point on out, because if one actually changes this absurd error (.79 inches? WTF?!?!?) to something reasonable (I prefer the less tree-slaughtering .5 inch margin myself for printing documentation) - I mean damn, at least use a round number, WHAT WAS WRONG WITH .8?

ah, but it is a round number, 2 centimeters. It just comes across a little odd after converting to the imperial system, that's all. Admittedly, a round setting in the imperial system might make more sense for the US version.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Page Margins Reply with quote

zaphraud wrote:

So yeah, this needs fixed, not overridden. How to fix, aside from grep sed and recompile?

My apologties, but what was your point besides the fact that you don't like .79 inches (and that you prefer to use impolite language to express it)? You mention wanting to change the default, but left the point dangling there...

I'm trying to understand what you feel might be wrong with setting your own template as default---that is, what difference does it make whether you use the built-in default template or one of your own choosing? Once you set a template as default, it's all the same from there on out... right? Or not?

I can sympathize with the fact that a metric value that doesn't translate to an even number in the measures you're used to seeing seems senseless, even awkward and uncomfortable, but really, most of the world operates in metric, so the base measures used in OOo are actually quite natural. Unfortunately they don't neatly translate to tidy fractions of imperial measures. That's not something you can just "fix," but you can create your own more comfortable templates... which, in the end, effectively equals a fix because all your documents will use the styles you define there.

---Well, it equals a fix in my opinion, which is one you don't share, but nor should you need to. I'd just like to better understand your point of view.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: