OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[Solved] Starting header on 3rd page of document

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReDi72

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Starting header on 3rd page of document Reply with quote

Following the instructions in the help file, I created a new page style including a header, in order to be able to have a header starting from the 3rd page of my document.
The help file then said to double-click the newly-created page style to apply it to the current page. However, when I double-click it always applies the style to the first page of the document, even though I set the cursor on the 3rd page page where I want the header to be. What am I doing wrong???

Last edited by ReDi72 on Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't insert a manual page break between the second and third page. Generally, when you apply a page style to a page, the page style will also be applied to contiguous pages until a page break is encountered.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting header on 3rd page of document Reply with quote

ReDi72 wrote:
Following the instructions in the help file, I created a new page style including a header, in order to be able to have a header starting from the 3rd page of my document.
The help file then said to double-click the newly-created page style to apply it to the current page. However, when I double-click it always applies the style to the first page of the document, even though I set the cursor on the 3rd page page where I want the header to be. What am I doing wrong???

Insert a manual page break before your third page, and in the break dialog, specify your next page style to be the one with the header. You might want to check what you have set up in that page style to be the next style (on the Organizer tab) so you can control page flow that way... unless all the other pages are Default, in which case you probably don't have to do anything.

In addition to the help file, click on the link in my sig line to find a nice collection of OOo manuals, including Writer. (You can download the whole guide or just go a chapter at a time, which I think is very user-friendly.)

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, it's not enough clear in the help file; you need to insert a Manual Page Break (menu Insert) to change the page style or place your cursor at the first paragraph of the page (where new style has to be applied), right click to edit the paragraph properties, in the Text flow tab, check Insert in the Break section, then With Page Style and select the style to be applied.

Note that the use of the Next Style in the page style Organizer tab is not so trustworthy, better have a manual page break. Especially if you export as .doc.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
Note that the use of the Next Style in the page style Organizer tab is not so trustworthy, better have a manual page break. Especially if you export as .doc.

I have no problems with it in odt and odm, but Hagar's right, if you plan to use .doc files that you share with other users, it's better to use manual page breaks, because the Organizer method controls page styles, and Word has no way to recognize page styles. (The documents I share all just go out as PDF so I don't have to worry about this, lucky me. Smile )

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foxcole wrote:
I have no problems with it in odt and odm

But you can sometimes: if you have a page style 'First page' followed automatically by another one, say 'Default', and you want to replace the 'Default' by 'Custom', then even your 'First page' will be replaced by 'Custom'.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
ReDi72

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the very quick and accurate replies!

Indeed the manual page break is the key, but only when inserted from the Insert menu and when selecting a new style for the following pages in that same Manual Page Break menu.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReDi72 wrote:
the manual page break is the key, but only when inserted from the Insert menu

The other method should work also (it does for me, I just checked again), it's very usefull if the page break has alredy been inserted without style change. It avoids the former break deletion and re-insertion.

Quote:
place your cursor at the first paragraph of the page (where new style has to be applied), right click to edit the paragraph properties, in the Text flow tab, check Insert in the Break section, then With Page Style and select the style to be applied.

ReDi72

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's the funny thing, a manual page break using CTRL + Enter does not do the trick for me Shocked It didn't in version 2.0 and it doesn't in 2.1 (both Dutch versions).
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, because there are 2 kinds of manual page breaks (but again, it's not clear in the help file):
- one without style change (CTRL + Enter)
- one with style change (from Insert menu with new style specified).

The one with style change is more powerfull, I mean it can stop the page style propagation when you apply a page style to a par tof the document. Not so easy to explain.
ftack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, hard page breaks in Writer are a paragraph characteristic, and not a "character" like in other word processors. Using Ctrl+Enter or "Insert - Manual break - Page break" is equivalent to "Format - Paragraph" - Text flow tab, Breaks insert, position: before.

When changing page styles, you can indeed "change" to the same age style as before: the use of that can be to reset the page numbering without changing anything else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: