OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Strange problem, lose keyboard in Openoffice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmleon
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Strange problem, lose keyboard in Openoffice Reply with quote

This is starting to drive me nuts, and I don't know if I need to post this to the OpenOffice people, the Mozilla Firefox folks, or the Novel Suse Linux folks.

The problem is that if I have both Open Office (doesn't matter if it's Writer or Calc) and Mozilla Firefox open, I lose the ability to type unless I close one or the other.
If I close Firefox, then I can type in OpenOffice, if I close OpenOffice I can type in Firefox.
How strange is that?

Any suggestions?
Here's version information:

OpenSuse 10.2 (retail DVD) with all the opensuse.org updates as of March 5th, 2007.
Open Office 2.0.4
Firefox 2.0.0.2pre

Thanks for any suggestions.
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had such a problem, but I certainly had many problems with SuSE (just before the name change). It sounds to me like an operating system problem of some kind - perhaps the window manager.

I've run Firefox (now Swiftfox) with OOo on Linux OSs since about June, 2005.
kmleon
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Linux since 1994, with many different distros. But this is definitely a new one for me.

A few other things, maybe they are related, and provide a hint, and maybe they are not.

I did not notice this problem with the default install of 10.2, only after I ran updates. But that may just be coincidence. I certainly did not have the problem with 10.1 or earlier (have used suse since 8.x on up as well as other distros, and OpenBSD).

For some reason my OO keeps making the default language Czech. And even when I change the options and save (and have the checkbox for "only save to this file" UNchecked), each new document ends up defaulting to Czech.

I also sometimes have a problem with SCIM changing to Farsi if I hit some (not yet figured out) key combination while typing).

I'm running KDE not gnome (someone in the opensuse IRC channel said to try that.
Same person from said IRC also said to try killing Klipper, but that made no difference either.

Any other ideas?
Thanks.
kmleon
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another note, this is on a laptop using the builtin keyboard, someone asked elsewhere if this was a USB keyboard, it is not.

The packages appear to still be the "standard" from opensuse.org, so does that mean instead of being able to get ideas from here, I need to try to get the opensuse folks to figure it out?The previous suggestions to try out came from their IRC, but there really wasn't much help. Though I have only just started this process of reporting and asking for help, usually I can figure such things out on my own, but this one definitely has me scratching my head...

Heh, just while I was typing the above line, a thought occurred to me to try killing SCIM.
And what do you know. Problem went away.
So, now i need to track down the SCIM/Opensuse developers.
Well, in case someone else runs into this combination of problems, hopefully this posting will help them out. I'll post if I find a more permanent solution that allows SCIM and OpenOffice, and Firefox to work together.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: