OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Thesis Template

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coreteamvn
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Thesis Template Reply with quote

Hello,

We have prepared template for a master thesis (includes different styles, a table of content and page numbers and other features that any thesis should have) for students. We are organising a course at universities (right now in Sweden and Austria) how to customize the template to the individual needs of the student and we have prepared a video. For the course we are also handing out a CD-ROM which includes the OpenOffice suite, the OO Guide, the template and the video tutorial.

We have some students in our community who translate the video. If you want to help us, we are looking for:

1) contact information at universities to organise a course there;
2) Comments on what should be included in the template; and
3) Design for the OO course CD-ROM.
lengo
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a wonderful initiative! Of course, different disciplines have different format requirements, but this looks like a great start! If nothing else, it's a template for someone to start with and modify to suit their needs. I'm currently writing a linguistics thesis and wading through a lot of this on my own . . . Hopefully your work will save some poor sod from what I've gone through Rolling Eyes
Boardquake
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A most welcome initiative. If I may, your template could be improved to make the text more readable by doing the following:

1. Increasing the margins to create a shorter line (i.e., fewer characters per line).
2. Increasing the leading. Times New Roman set "single" (12/12) is tough to read. Try changing the paragraph style to "fixed" at 15 pt.
3. Reconsider Verdana bold.

For some typography tips, see http://www.nbcs.rutgers.edu/~hedrick/typography/
coreteamvn
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boardquake wrote:
A most welcome initiative. If I may, your template could be improved to make the text more readable by doing the following:

1. Increasing the margins to create a shorter line (i.e., fewer characters per line).
2. Increasing the leading. Times New Roman set "single" (12/12) is tough to read. Try changing the paragraph style to "fixed" at 15 pt.
3. Reconsider Verdana bold.

For some typography tips, see http://www.nbcs.rutgers.edu/~hedrick/typography/

hej Boardquake,

Thx for your constructive critisism. You seem to know quite a bit about this topic. We wait until March 20th. If you want to make the changes and improvements yourself until then we will include you in a credits section of the thesis template and distribute an improved version 1.2.1.
coreteamvn
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lengo wrote:
This looks like a wonderful initiative! Of course, different disciplines have different format requirements, but this looks like a great start! If nothing else, it's a template for someone to start with and modify to suit their needs. I'm currently writing a linguistics thesis and wading through a lot of this on my own . . . Hopefully your work will save some poor sod from what I've gone through Rolling Eyes

hej Lengo,

what are your linguistic requirements which are not included in this template?
lengo
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coreteamvn wrote:
lengo wrote:

hej Lengo,

what are your linguistic requirements which are not included in this template?

The thing I have struggled with most has been a 'template' for consecutively numbered example sentences. Interlinear text is the bane of linguistic word processing . . . I've settled on a four-row, fifteen column table with a 0.5" first column in which I have put a 'Number Range' entry (click Insert>Fields>Other, and on the Variables tab: select Number range, type 'Example' in Name, click Insert, select 'Example' in Selection, select 'Arabic (1 2 3)' in Format). Then, depending on the length of my example sentence, I add or delete columns to / from the end of the table. The 'Number range' can be referred to in the text of the thesis with a 'Reference' (Insert>Fields>Other>References) that maintains its sequential ordering despite any changes in order. It's not very elegant, but it seems to be working.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: