OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OOo 2.2 release candidate; new chart2 preview; OOo 2.2.1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: OOo 2.2 release candidate; new chart2 preview; OOo 2.2.1 Reply with quote

OOo 2.2 release candidate available
OpenOffice.org final version 2.2 is due March 6, so if you want to report any show stoppers, you have a little time. Test it now or forever hold your peace. Smile

2.2 RC1 info (including downloads)
2.2 RC1 release notes (includes "What's New")
List of integrated performance improvements (may need updating)

New chart2 preview available

Milestone 11 of chart2 is available for testing and feedback. If you haven't heard, chart2 is a re-design of the OOo Calc chart module.

Version 2.2.1

Before, OpenOffice.org released a new version every three months. Now, every other release is a bug fix only release. The first bug-fix-only release is 2.2.1 (due June 5).
* BleachBit
</signature>
anthfiat
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tested the new charting tool and it is great! This was one major drawback with Calc and this preview is far superior to the existing tool. If this makes it into the next release I will be thrilled. I haven't had a hitch with it yet and I have been throwing everything I can at it. I have a renewed faith in Calc! Well done dev team.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear. According to http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Features and http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Chart2 , the chart2 is due release 2.3. The page is out of date because 2.2.1 is due around June 2007 and 2.3 is due September 2007, so perhaps chart2 will be released as stable in September.
* BleachBit
</signature>
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewZ wrote:
Now, every other release is a bug fix only release. The first bug-fix-only release is 2.2.1 (due June 5).

Judging by reports of new bugs surfacing with each new release, we need at least a whole year of bug fixes and no innovations.
anthfiat
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I agree that we need a year of bug fixes only. Most of the bugs are not show stoppers, just little minor bugs that do not affect most users. Ok I'm actually not stating a fact here.....most of the bugs listed have no affect on me, would be a more accurate statement.

In my opinion Calc actually requires some innovations to be functional. Like I stated in my earlier post the new charting tool is fantastic. I have tried every graphical model and it seems rock solid to me as is. I haven't had a single crash yet. On top of not crashing it is very intuitive. The ability to add a data series is easier now than ever. Now only if the non-linear regression component was upgraded I would be in spreadsheet heaven.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, most users never notice most bugs. Also, if you are counting issues in the Issue Tracker, consider that many bugs are translation problems (so they only affect one language), or specific to a certain platform (such as Mac), or related to the build system (so only affect some programmers), etc.

I am a power user, and I notice only a very small number of the reported bugs in OOo. Even fewer of those are actually a problem.
* BleachBit
</signature>
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.2 has seen quite a few release candidates, and m11 is the latest. I encourage people to test it before the final release March 14.

http://eis.services.openoffice.org/EIS2/cws.rss.CWSAnnounceNewsFeed/mws
http://download.openoffice.org/680/index.html
* BleachBit
</signature>
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any point in testing it? We test released versions all the time and nothing much seems to come of it.

What happens if you discover something wrong in the short time left? Do you file an issue or shout from the roof top?
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time you find any issue, report it to the Issue Tracker. As always, mark the appropriate priority level. Levels P1 and P2 are the most serious, and if the developers agree it's a "show stopper" (see P1 and P2 in , then it may delay the next release. Additionally, you can announce serious issues on the QA mailing list.

For example, a show stopper would be the inability to print to the non-default printer. In case no one remembers, that slipped through in version 1.0.3, so shortly after, version 1.0.3.1 was created.

Already, QA has pushed back the release of OOo 2.2.

Quote:
Is there any point in testing it? We test released versions all the time and nothing much seems to come of it.

It sounds like you're angry.
* BleachBit
</signature>
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing. If you don't like the quality of OpenOffice.org, volunteer on the QA team. One way to help is to be the first line for the dozens of issues that are filed every day. If volunteers do not handle the issues, then developers have to do it. The time developers spend handling simpler tasks means they spend less time coding.

For example, there's currently 954 unconfirmed defects. Who's going to sort through them? The highly-skilled developers with little time?
* BleachBit
</signature>
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I followed that suggestion when you made it in a similar context once before. I got "observer status", which I already had anyway. I had to subscribe to some mailing list which was a complete waste of time.

The requirement I was not prepared to meet is that you have to install the latest version, which, these days, is the buggiest. Another reason I don't want anything to do with the process is that as a result of the contact I've had with the developers, I don't have any faith in their competence.

I believe you've avoided the question. What can anyone effectively do as a result of testing the latest release candidate? It sounds like a dopey way to waste your time when the final release is scheduled for a few days hence.
DaveRD
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noranthon wrote:
I believe you've avoided the question. What can anyone effectively do as a result of testing the latest release candidate? It sounds like a dopey way to waste your time when the final release is scheduled for a few days hence.

I agree, you really don't want the average OOo users testing unstable builds.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noranthon wrote:
I believe you've avoided the question. What can anyone effectively do as a result of testing the latest release candidate?

If you don't want to test or use OpenOffice.org, don't, but here's a personal example of an issue I reported in a RC and it was fixed by the final release:

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=55114
* BleachBit
</signature>
ftack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Release Candidates are a different matter: it are versions that the developers consider to be ready in principle for production use, but that still need to be tested before they are declared stable. It makes sense that a broader user base of more experienced users already starts to use these releases to reduce the chance that serious show stoppers make it to the stable release. Filing good issues does make sense and does contribute greatly, although indeed it can be frustrating that some issues do not get solved for a long time..
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose my question was prompted mainly by the short time allowed for testing. When you add to that the fact that no methodology is provided, it seems to me to be another example of the organisation's incompetence. QA it ain't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: