OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Docx Support?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gizmo
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Docx Support? Reply with quote

Is there any word on weather or not there will be any microsoft word 2007 document support in openoffice? I love using open office, but I get alot of problems because some of the documents I get are in docx or xlsx format, so if anyone has any information on weather or not there will be the possiblity to open and edit these files under open office please could you post here.

Moderation probe1: 2 SPAM URLs removed

Last edited by gizmo on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Docx Support? Reply with quote

gizmo wrote:
so if anyone has any information on weather or not there will be the possiblity to open and edit these files under open office please could you post here.

Not directly by opening this files in OOo, but you can convert docx to doc with Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats. You'll find more on this topic at http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=52499&highlight=docx+read for example.

After downloading and installing FileFormatConverters.exe you can convert any docx file to doc by right click a docx file in Windows Explorer and selecting "Open". I gave it a try myself. It works even without an MS Office Installation on Windows XP.

Regards
hol.sten
gizmo
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you my friend, youve been a great help.

So the formats will never be supported? Or is it planned for the future?

Moderation probe1: 2 SPAM URLs removed

Last edited by gizmo on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
james_h
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Novell OpenOffice.org can open Microsoft Open-XML Reply with quote

Novell distributes a version of OpenOffice.org that can open and save Microsoft Open-XML formatted documents.

A list of the system requirements is here.

The download page for the OpenXML Translator component is here.

You can find more Novell download descriptions at http://download.novell.com/index.jsp.

You can find some .docx files at http://odf-converter.sourceforge.net/test-docs/docx/
t35t0r
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can find more Novell download descriptions at http://download.novell.com/index.jsp

Tried it in linux ooffice 2.3 and it didn't load the .docx . I had to use:

OdfConverter /I in.docx /O out.odt

then load the out.odt . Now we just need something that does .xlsx files .
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t35t0r wrote:
Quote:
You can find more Novell download descriptions at http://download.novell.com/index.jsp

The latest odf-converter 1.1.5 handles .xlsx and .pptx in addition to .docx. The Novell web site is hard to navigate, but there's info and a link here:
http://openofficeorgfoo.blogspot.com/2008/01/convert-openxml-docx-etc-in-linux-using.html
* BleachBit
</signature>
formatvirus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Oxygen Office Reply with quote

Oxygen office is the best way to open MS Office 2007 documents. I am using it since 3 months and find no problem in it except some times the graphs in spreadsheet doesn't appear properly.

You can download it on :

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooop

It has been developed on open office.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Echelon2600

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Disappointment Reply with quote

t35t0r wrote:
Quote:

Same disappointment here. So essentially what I'm seeing here is that there is no support in OOO for modern, widely-used formats. There are, however, converters, which work within Micro$oft operating systems. There are also replacements for OOO. This sort of takes the "open" out of "OpenOffice" doesn't it? This is a severe disappointment. At the end of 2009 there is still no support for 2007 formats? I regret having made a donation to OOO and it's a mistake I'll never repeat again.
Corfy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Disappointment Reply with quote

Echelon2600 wrote:
Same disappointment here. So essentially what I'm seeing here is that there is no support in OOO for modern, widely-used formats. There are, however, converters, which work within Micro$oft operating systems. There are also replacements for OOO. This sort of takes the "open" out of "OpenOffice" doesn't it? This is a severe disappointment. At the end of 2009 there is still no support for 2007 formats? I regret having made a donation to OOO and it's a mistake I'll never repeat again.

You're looking at an old thread. OpenOffice.org has had the ability to open .docx and .xlsx since version 3.0 which was released in Oct. 2008. BTW, the current version is 3.1.1.

On the other hand, it is the end of 2009, and Microsoft Office still doesn't support ODF, which is a 2005 file format and is widely used by office software outside of Microsoft Office.
Echelon2600

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Disappointment Reply with quote

Quote:
You're looking at an old thread. OpenOffice.org has had the ability to open .docx and .xlsx since version 3.0 which was released in Oct. 2008. BTW, the current version is 3.1.1.

On the other hand, it is the end of 2009, and Microsoft Office still doesn't support ODF, which is a 2005 file format and is widely used by office software outside of Microsoft Office.

I have version 3.0.0 (OOO300m9, Build 9358) and wil will not open a .DOCX file. It asks me which application to use to open the file. If I first open OO Writer, then "Open" and browse to the file, it tells me it's a compressed file. I tell it to proceed anyway, and it opens up garbage.
Ed
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Disappointment Reply with quote

Echelon2600 wrote:
So essentially what I'm seeing here is that there is no support in OOO for modern, widely-used formats.
A wild exaggeration on your part, and completely untrue!!

OOo does in fact have a great deal of support for "modern, widely-used" formats, including saving by default in the ISO Standard ODF formats.

Echelon2600 wrote:

This sort of takes the "open" out of "OpenOffice" doesn't it
How?

The source code for OOo is openly available. How does the support or otherwise for some badly documented, program-specific format change this fact?

Echelon2600 wrote:

At the end of 2009 there is still no support for 2007 formats?
You missed out a few very important phrases from that sentence.

That should read "At the end of 2009 there is still no support for badly documented 2007 program-specific formats which are specific to a different product?"

In fact OOo does have import facilities for this particular format anyway.

Echelon2600 wrote:
I regret having made a donation to OOO and it's a mistake I'll never repeat again.
Why do you imagine that helping to support this excellent free product to "mistake"?
xbanker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Disappointment Reply with quote

Apologies from this new user if my question has been answered ... I can't find it.

This thread confirms that my recently-installed OOo v3.1.1 can open docx files. But it's not apparent to me the recommended save-procedure when creating/sending a document to a Word-user – when not sure what version of Word the recipient is using.

Guessing best to use Word 97/2000/XP (.doc) to ensure greatest compatibility and format-retention.

Could someone please confirm or correct me.

Thank you.
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your guess is correct. Save as Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP.
xbanker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Disappointment Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.
juan_g

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those new formats (.docx, .xlsx...) can be saved with LibreOffice, a variant of OpenOffice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: