OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Changing from Excel.Application

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Macros and API
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrichards

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Changing from Excel.Application Reply with quote

Our company is trying to move away from having to use MS Office in out Terminal Server Environment. I've been evaluating with some of our end users the use of OpenOffice and things were very positive until it was revealed that a 3rd party application calls the Excel.Application object. This application is vital for our accounting and inventory system and is not something we can change or modify as its not under our control. Is there a wat to change what the Excel.Applicaton call does? I've removed MS Office from our test environemnt and have installed just OO. The 3rd party App throws an error during the export process because Excel.Application object cannot be found. If I have MSOffice installed but have OO set as the default app for all office documents, the 3rd party app still opens Excel. I've tried messing with the reg entries for HKLM\Software\Classes\.xls but have not had any success. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to circumvent this?

Thanks for any help.
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be possible to alter the .ini file so that it refers to OOo - something like Excel.application=soffice.exe (or whatever the equivalent is).
Mark B
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Even if you do manage to get your 3rd pary software to call OOo then I think that you're still going to have problems - just because OOo Calc and Excel do the same jobs doesn't meant that you can talk to them in the same way. For example:
Code:

Sheets("Sheet1").Activate
Cells(1,1).Value = "A1"

Will work for Excel but not Calc. The equivalent for Calc would be:
Code:

Sheet =  thisComponent.Sheetes("Sheet1")
Cell =Sheet.getCellByPosition(0,0)
Cell.String = "A1"

You'll also find other fundamental differences such as A1 = (1,1) in Excel but (0,0) in Calc.

That said you may be able fo find a solution the the 'APPLICATION PROGRAMMING INTERFACE (API)' section of http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=50952

And as a final thought - the Novell version of OOo does include VBA support, and that may (and I stress may) be a solution.

Mark
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excel.Application is a COM-object(?), registered in the Windows registry. It refers to a running instance of Microsoft's Excel application.
Quote:
This application is vital for our accounting and inventory system and is not something we can change or modify as its not under our control.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendor_lock-in
mrichards

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was afraid of. I too was concerned about the compatibility of the api programming calls. This just confirms it. We may be stuck then with MSOffice for now. If anyone has any other suggestions I'll be happy to listen. If not, thanks for those who replied.
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been a very simple case, where it was sufficient to remove the Excel reference while having VBA support enabled:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=51427&highlight=excel+activeworkbook
Sun and Novel do their very best to cut the Gordian knot of vendor lock-in, but for obvious reasons Excel.Application should remain Excel.Application Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Macros and API All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: