OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Hiding Whole Pages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yabloko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Hiding Whole Pages Reply with quote

I am looking to hide certain pages of a document depending on conditions in a database. I have tried setting up Sections with Conditions but some of the formatting is lost on the remaining pages when the condition is met and the section hides.
I was wondering if anyone has a better way to hide complete pages.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hiding Whole Pages Reply with quote

Yabloko wrote:
I am looking to hide certain pages of a document depending on conditions in a database. I have tried setting up Sections with Conditions but some of the formatting is lost on the remaining pages when the condition is met and the section hides.
I was wondering if anyone has a better way to hide complete pages.

You have the right solution, in my opinion---but what do you mean by some of the formatting being lost? Can you be more specific or provide an example? Please also (and always) provide your OS and OOo versions.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
Yabloko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my OS is XP and OOo is 2.0.4

Well on Page 1 and 2 I had borders and the margins were different and when the conditions would hide these two pages the following two pages would take on their attributes. So basically it was like the content was being hidden but not the page formatting.

As an intern solution I just made all of the pages with the same margins and formatting so when the sections were hidden it would not disrupt the content of the following pages.

But any suggestions to get it to work better would be greatly appreciated.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yabloko wrote:
Sorry, my OS is XP and OOo is 2.0.4

Well on Page 1 and 2 I had borders and the margins were different and when the conditions would hide these two pages the following two pages would take on their attributes. So basically it was like the content was being hidden but not the page formatting.

As an intern solution I just made all of the pages with the same margins and formatting so when the sections were hidden it would not disrupt the content of the following pages.

But any suggestions to get it to work better would be greatly appreciated.

Ah, well, content and page styles are entirely separate things. To change page styles you'd need to insert a manual break and specify the next page style...

So, for example, pages 1 and 2 could have the borders and other page-level formatting (headers, footers, numbering). Before the first paragraph of page 3 you'd insert a manual page break. It attaches the break information to the final paragraph of the previous page, so you'd want to include that blank paragraph in your hidden section. Otherwise, if you don't hide it, it would force a page break that you can't get rid of except by deleting the paragraph. I don't believe it will create a page break when it's hidden---but, OTOH, wait... come to think of it, maybe I shouldn't be talking. To be honest, I don't think I've ever tried it. I'll run a test later, unless you beat me to it. Very Happy

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: