OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

JUST WANT TO RESET DEFAULT FONT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donnyjf
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: JUST WANT TO RESET DEFAULT FONT Reply with quote

PLEASE HELP !!!
Embarassed

I WANT TO USE A CERTAIN FONT IN MY DOCS. I WANT TO SET IT AS THE DEFAULT FONT. CAN NOT FIGURE OUT HOW??? THE HELP MENU DOES NOT TELL ME A THING.
ANYONE OUT THERE THAT CAN TELL ME HOW TO DO THIS WILL RECEIVE MY UN-DYING GRATITUDE AND THANKS,

DON Twisted Evil
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: JUST WANT TO RESET DEFAULT FONT Reply with quote

donnyjf wrote:
PLEASE HELP !!!
Embarassed

I WANT TO USE A CERTAIN FONT IN MY DOCS. I WANT TO SET IT AS THE DEFAULT FONT. CAN NOT FIGURE OUT HOW??? THE HELP MENU DOES NOT TELL ME A THING.
ANYONE OUT THERE THAT CAN TELL ME HOW TO DO THIS WILL RECEIVE MY UN-DYING GRATITUDE AND THANKS,

Please use sentence case, Don. All-caps tend to irk people because it comes across as shouting, no matter how nicely worded the message is. The help menu does tell you a thing, but mainly if you already know what you're looking for; otherwise, I know, it can be tricky to find the right information.

Try looking for"default template." Also, the Writer guide that can be found in the link in my sig line is extremely helpful for understanding styles, and once you understand styles, it will seem obvious. That's how I got started in OOo.

But also---and this is important---once you get your default template set up and saved, there are one or two other things you need to do to get the default template to work the way you'd expect it to. This forum has had several threads about that, some very recently, so I also suggest searching the forum for "default template."

If you have any questions after that, please come back and let us know.

Good luck!

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
donnyjf
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: SURELY THERE IS A QUICKER ANSWER Reply with quote

THX FOR THE ANSWER.
I JUST THOUGHT THERE MIGHT BE SOMEONE OR SOMEWAY TO GET A QUCIK FIX ON SETTING THE DEFAULT FONT TO THE ONE I WANT TO USE ALL THE TIME.
I REALLY DON'T HAVE TIME TO SEARCH THRU HUNDREDS OF FILES AND PAGES TO FIND WHAT MUST BE A FAST WAY TO DO IT.

AS TOO ALL CAPS IN MY WRITING. I AM NOT YELLING AT ANYONE AS YOU SUGGEST. I AM WRITNG WITH LETTERS THE SIZE I CAN EASILY READ ON MY SCREEN. IF THE LETTERS BEING IN ALL CAPS VIOLATES SOME UN-WRITTEN RULE WELL, K SARA SARA......
acknak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) File > New > Text Document
2) Right click (anywhere in the empty document) and choose "Edit Paragraph Style"
3) Font tab, set your font. OK

4) File > Templates > Save, New template: "My Default Template" OK

5) File > Templates > Organize
___Double-click "My Templates" in the left-hand list
___Select "My Templates" / "My Default Template"
___Commands > "Set as Default Template"
___Close

6) File > Close
7) File > New > Text Document

What we did:
(1-3) Changed the font setting for the default paragraph style. So far, this only affects the current document.
(4) Saved the document as a new template.
(5) Made the new template the Writer default template.
(6-7) Started a new document which now uses the new default. Any new document will also use this as the default.

That wasn't so hard was it? Ok, it IS hard--a lot harder than it should be, especially for new users.
donnyjf
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: NOW THAT WAS HELP Reply with quote

BUT, WHEN I GOT TO NUMBER 5..WAS UNABLE TO DOUBLE CLICK "MY TEMPLATES" AND HAVE ANYTHING HAPPEN...THERE WAS NO WHERE TO SELECT "MY TEMPLATES/"MY DEFAULT TEMPLATE" AND UNDER COMMANDS NO "SAT AS DEFAULT TEMPLATE..

STILL IT WAS WELL WRITTEN AND ALL I HAD TO DO TO FOLLOW WAS PRINT SECREEN PUT IT IN FRONT OF ME AND FOLLOW ALONG. NO SEARCH THRU HUNDREDS OF PAGES. THANK YOU.

ANY IDEAS WHAT TO TRY NEXT SEND THEM ON...

ALSO, IS THERE A WAY TO PRINT A REPLY WITHOUT DOING "PRINT SCREEN" ????
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donny

Please try this:
  • Open Notepad
  • From the format menu, select font
  • Set a large fontsize, 18 or 24 poiints
  • Turn off Caps Lock
  • Type your message
  • Copy it to the clipboard
  • Paste it into the message box

Or, if you're using Internet Explorer 7, you can set the zoom level to 150% so that you can read normal sized text easily.

If you have a problem reading normal text, then you need to take steps to work around the problem or you will damage your eyesight. There are lots of simple solutions. Typing in CAPITALS is not one of them. Hopefully, you can appreciate that my large print message is easier for you to read than your own messages in capitals.

Very few people will type in large print for your benefit, so you need to fix the problem at your end. If you continue to type in capitals, you may run into opposition in every forum that you visit. Since you obviously have a lot to learn, it is going to be a rough road.

What Operating System are you using?
What screen resolution?

donnyjf
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: YOU ARE NUTTY Reply with quote

WHO SAYS I CAN'T TYPE IN ALL CAPS WHEN I FEEL LIKE IT???? WHAT R U GOING 2 DO ABOUT IT????

WHAT A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME TO DISCUSS IT FURTHER.

I DO THE TYPING HERE NOT SOMEONE ELSE ....

DON'T LIKE IT DON'T READ IT
acknak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

And then what kind of help would you expect to get? Everyone here is a volunteer, so a basic level of consideration to the "unwritten rules" is appropriate. The opposite is pretty much guaranteed to get you nowhere.

I care a lot less about your TYPING IN ALL CAPS than I do about your unkind response to someone who's gone way out of their way to give you a hand. If you don't need the help, then a simple "Thanks, but no thanks." is sufficient.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: YOU ARE NUTTY Reply with quote

donnyjf wrote:

Ah, thanks ! for someone posting to get some help, that's great. Thanks again for the laugh you gave me ! One of the best I've seen here.

donnyjf wrote:
I DO THE TYPING HERE NOT SOMEONE ELSE

By the way, WE (you know, all the other guys trying to help) do the reading here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: YOU ARE NUTTY Reply with quote

donnyjf wrote:
WHO SAYS I CAN'T TYPE IN ALL CAPS WHEN I FEEL LIKE IT???? WHAT R U GOING 2 DO ABOUT IT????

Simple. Just ignore everything that you type until you learn some manners.

If you want help, then make it easy for us to understand your questions.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: SURELY THERE IS A QUICKER ANSWER Reply with quote

donnyjf wrote:
THX FOR THE ANSWER.
I JUST THOUGHT THERE MIGHT BE SOMEONE OR SOMEWAY TO GET A QUCIK FIX ON SETTING THE DEFAULT FONT TO THE ONE I WANT TO USE ALL THE TIME.
I REALLY DON'T HAVE TIME TO SEARCH THRU HUNDREDS OF FILES AND PAGES TO FIND WHAT MUST BE A FAST WAY TO DO IT.

AS TOO ALL CAPS IN MY WRITING. I AM NOT YELLING AT ANYONE AS YOU SUGGEST. I AM WRITNG WITH LETTERS THE SIZE I CAN EASILY READ ON MY SCREEN. IF THE LETTERS BEING IN ALL CAPS VIOLATES SOME UN-WRITTEN RULE WELL, K SARA SARA......

What web browser are you using? Firefox, for one example, can expand or shrink text as you need to. It is much better than all caps.

Quick fix. Open new file. Set default paragraph to the font you want. File > Template >Save.

Then go back to File > Template Organize and make the new template your default.

But please try to cut down on the all caps. It is very annoying to people who use fora and usenet regularly because it does mean that you're SCREAMING even if you don't mean to.
donnyjf
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Thank You for the info Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the easy directions. They work quite well when followed.

Also the nice approach and explination on "All Caps". Don't see how it's such a problem and any different than u/l typing. I can not see these small letters i'm typing right now and it makes it hard for me in normal now if i go to large i still can't see them because they don't change size on my screen. I just want to type my message and go away, not make a federal case felony because someone types in all caps. I just don't get it, so sorry.

Don Twisted Evil
9point9

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's common courtesy on the Internet not to use all caps and as many sources say, it doesn't aid readability:
Quote:
As far back as I can remember writing in all capital letters has been considered rude. Writing in all capital letters on the Internet is the same as shouting at people, it's also harder to read. Most people consider it to be just plain rude.

http://www.socialnetworking-weblog.com/50226711/dont_type_in_all_caps.php

Putting your own text in all caps does nothing to improve readability for the rest of the site and many users will add you to their ignore list. If you want to make things more readable, change the settings of your browser but please don't put things in all caps.

Restyling to use a larger font seems well intentioned but doesn't tackle the root of the problem. The root of the problem is that you don't have your desktop set up correctly.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
DeShock
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I think he go the point on the ALL CAPS.

Thank you acknak on the detailed directions. I have saved them for future reference.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: