OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Company converting to OOo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Floyd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Company converting to OOo Reply with quote

I am in need of an expert in converting documents to OO. My company is considering making the move to OOo. Although I realize that there are some unavoidable problems when converting between Microsoft Office and OO, I need to ensure that none are too major. If someone considers themselves well versed in conversion problems, I would really like to get in contact with them via email. I have noticed some of the same questions that I have are left unanswered in this forum, specifically regarding embedded objects so if anyone believes they can help, it would be much appreciated.
bartgymnast
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floyd a big thing to do is.

export your files as PDF
that is universal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yes there are conversion "issues" which seem to reduce in terms of numbers and severity the more that OOo "grows up".

The major ones are graphics (caused principally by the rather more formal structure OOo applies to anchoring). This means that OO sometimes will struggle putting graphics in the right place when opening a document created within MS Word. Things are much better the other way around.

Numbers and bullets. OOs numbers and bullets lose their indent when opened in MS Word, which seems to have been fixed in OOo1.1 beta.

Macros. Documents containing macros in either package are a problem for the other. Can't really say much more as I wouldn't recognise a macro if one hit me in the face!

Couple of suggestions I can make:

1. you should only use the MS format for documents that are to be sent for editing by people who only have Ms Word. If it's to be read (which is most of them I suspect) then do as bartgymnast suggests and use pdf.

2. Keep the 2 running side by side on your machine, while you learn what works and what doesn't.

Ian Cool
Floyd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, they really are much appreciated, any more are always welcome.
Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: