OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

USPS Barcode for Envelopes Template POSTNET
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has anyone verified this to USPS Standards and that >40 different zips produce correct barcodes?
yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
no
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 1

skookum
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: USPS Barcode for Envelopes Template POSTNET Reply with quote

Think I've managed to create an envelope template to automatically add barcode to addressee. This one doesn't need macros -- performs all calculations in fields. Uses Russ Adams' barcode font described in oo user manual with a link in the template to the font download location on the web.

Free for all to use for any purpose.

Barcode Envelope Template is here:
http://www.mytempdir.com/1289275

As of today, unverified for USPS Standards and bugs. Give us an update if you verify it.

- Tad

Last edited by skookum on Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
PromptJock
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: USPS Barcode for Envelopes Template POSTNET Reply with quote

skookum wrote:
Think I've managed to create an envelope template to automatically add barcode to addressee. This one doesn't need macros -- performs all calculations in fields. Uses Russ Adams' barcode font described in oo user manual with a link in the template to the font download location on the web.

Free for all to use for any purpose.

Barcode Envelope Template is here:

- Tad

Interesting. Will it also work for mailing labels as well?

If so, this might be the "linchpin" that finally divorces me from needing M$Office 97 (i.e. Word) to create postnet-capable mailing labels! Very Happy
PromptJock
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm having a stupid moment here.

How does one install a "web based" font into OOo? I'd like to get the aforementioned POSTNET barcode font, but I can't seem to get a handle on making it part of my system.

Any assistance would be appreciated? Smile
skookum
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Installing the font Reply with quote

Installing the font is described in the ooffice user manual, but under Windows, as I recall it's basically, download, then control panel -> fonts -> file -> install new font. In that process I think you can specify a name to call the font and it's probably important to name it whatever I said to use on the envelope template so the barcode area chooses it.
skookum
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Mailing Labels Reply with quote

This author knows nothing about mailing labels and hopes to remain ignorant.
PromptJock
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing the font Reply with quote

skookum wrote:
Installing the font is described in the ooffice user manual, but under Windows, as I recall it's basically, download, then control panel -> fonts -> file -> install new font. In that process I think you can specify a name to call the font and it's probably important to name it whatever I said to use on the envelope template so the barcode area chooses it.

B'lieve it or not, I tried that. Unfortunately, I couldn't get Control Panel to locate (much less accept) the url that points to the font.

I downloaded the template, examined it under Writer, and clicked on the "Font is located here" link for the barcode font. The barcode font did indeed display on my screen, but I couldn't get it save to the Fonts folder. Sad

Once again, I'm kind of disappointed that I still need my old M$Word 97 to create mailing labels, etc.....
acknak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The envelope template gives you the URL that's needed, but it's not in the most convenient form for downloading the file and installing the font.

Here's the URL again: http://www.adams1.com/pub/russadam/shareware/uspsbarcode.ttf

Right-click the url above and choose "Save Link Target As" (something like that). Just save it to your desktop.

Now do the Control Panel thing, but point it to the font file you just downloaded.

Restart OOo and the "USPS Barcode" font should now be available. Whatever numeric digits are set in that font will display as a USPS barcode.
PromptJock
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acknak wrote:
Unfortunately, the envelope template gives you the URL that's needed, but it's not in a terribly convenient form for installing the font.

Here's the URL again: http://www.adams1.com/pub/russadam/shareware/uspsbarcode.ttf

Right-click the url and choose "Save Link Target As" (something like that). Just save it to your desktop.

Now do the Control Panel thing, but point it to the font file you just downloaded.

Restart OOo and the "USPS Barcode" font should now be available. Whatever numeric digits are set in that font will display as a USPS barcode.

D'OH!!! Embarassed

I was trying to get the font from the template's link callout, which didn't allow a "right-click" operation.

Thank you, O' Great And Powerful Acknak (bowing deeply!)
skookum
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Standards and bugs Reply with quote

BTW, anyone who uses this for more than a few letters should probably check that all the barcode and text sizes/widths meet USPS spec. Also, I don't think there are any barcode calculation bugs left, but might be worth checking 30-40 different zips produce the right barcode if doing a big mailing. This template is all pretty much theoretical at the moment Smile

If you do happen to check it to spec or with mailings, report back here if possible.
PromptJock
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I followed The Great Acknak's instructions to download the font and All Appears Well. Using skook's template, I tried some different zips and the code did appear to change accordingly.

Now, to figure out how to incorporate this new field into a mailing label template so it'll give me what I want. Smile

Thank you for your work, skookum! Very Happy
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PromptJock wrote:
acknak wrote:
Unfortunately, the envelope template gives you the URL that's needed, but it's not in a terribly convenient form for installing the font.

Right-click the url and choose "Save Link Target As" (something like that). Just save it to your desktop.

D'OH!!! Embarassed

I was trying to get the font from the template's link callout, which didn't allow a "right-click" operation.

Thank you, O' Great And Powerful Acknak (bowing deeply!)

Don't be so obsequious: it will go to his head. . A simple sacrificial lamb or two, and maybe a couple of doves should do.
acknak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite all right, let the obsequiousity roll on: my dear wife has a knack for keeping me humble Wink

All seriousness aside, I'm glad it was easy to fix.
drano
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably a little stupider than PromptJock -- It seems like you guys are skipping what I need for Step One to be. What is the appropriate way to use the envelope template to begin with? Is there some way to tell OOo that this is the new default envelope template so that when I do Insert > Envelope then this template will come up on the screen? When I do that it does not pop up and say "Select envelope template file" with a drop-down box listing my options. How do I go about telling the program this is the envelope template I want to use? I assume it would then adapt itself to any envelope dimensions I specify? If it does that, then I would think that would satisfy the concern about labels as well. If it doesn't that is a problem because I use different sizes.
cdaye00
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: download unavailable Reply with quote

I just tried to download the template and the site states the file is unavailable.

site

Anyone know where I can get template
acknak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try a PM to skookum--that's a slim chance I'd say, but about the best that can be done unless someone happened to save a personal copy (I didn't; sorry). Mytempdir.com is just that--a temporary storage site.

If you don't get an answer here, you can try a new thread asking for a template: someone may have saved this template but is not following this thread to see your request. Or, someone else may have a different template, or you could make your own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: