OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

ASCII codes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hermes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: ASCII codes Reply with quote

Hello all,

My first visit here. This is what I would like Writer to do. Instead of using the ALT + number options in writer, is it possible to open a window with all the ASCII codes there? I have to write French letters and that language uses lots of accents etc.
Thus the same way as it is possible in wikipedia. When you want to edit a page in Wikipedia, you can see at the bottom a window with all the codes available to the writer with just a click of your mouse.
So, is this possible in writer too?

I hope you can help me out.

Hermes.
squenson
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hermes,

The menu option Insert > Special Characters displays such window, however you cannot type in the cell while this window is opened. You could also use the Autocorrect option (Menu Tools > Autocorrect) and have entries like 'e -> , `e -> etc. When you type such sequence, you will have to type a space after it to transform it, then a backspace, so at the end it is not much faster than Alt-130 or Alt-138.
Hermes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: ASCII codes Reply with quote

Understood squenson, ty for your reply but IMAO, that is incredible. It would be so easy. Just add an apply button to the special character-function and there you go.

Hermes
Hermes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: ASCII codes Reply with quote

http://www.abisource.com/ The opensource texteditor Abiword offers this lastmentioned option.

Hermes.
[/url]
acknak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try using the system character map instead of the Insert > Special Character window. At least here (using Linux), I can just drag characters from the character map into the OOo window.

Feature request: Floating pallete for Symbols (2003)
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=10867
squenson
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acknak,

Good idea, unfortunately, the CharMap application in Windows XP does not allow drag and drop, just selection of the characters in a small text box, then you have to copy/paste them to your application. It is faster to go and fetch a French keyboard then! Laughing
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've a lot of French to type for goodness sake use the French keyboard! (I don't mean acquiring a keyboard with the French layout imprinted on it necessarily - rather just switch to the French keymap and remember the keys that are different if you don't know the layout already.)

http://tlt.psu.edu/suggestions/international/keyboards/winkey.html

French AZERTY keyboard layout:
Code:

~ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 +
& ' ( - _ ) =
   A Z E R T Y U I O P
   a z e r t y u i o p ^ $
    Q S D F G H J K L M %
    q s d f g h j k l m *
   > W X C V B N ? . /
   < w x c v b n , ; : !
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: ASCII codes Reply with quote

Hermes wrote:
Hello all,

My first visit here. This is what I would like Writer to do. Instead of using the ALT + number options in writer, is it possible to open a window with all the ASCII codes there? I have to write French letters and that language uses lots of accents etc.
Thus the same way as it is possible in wikipedia. When you want to edit a page in Wikipedia, you can see at the bottom a window with all the codes available to the writer with just a click of your mouse.
So, is this possible in writer too?

I hope you can help me out.

Hermes.

You did not say what OS you're using . There is a very handy Windows utility called AllChars http://allchars.zwolnet.com that will give you all the accents etc that you need and which works in just about all Windows programs.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Tucker wrote:
If you've a lot of French to type for goodness sake use the French keyboard! (I don't mean acquiring a keyboard with the French layout imprinted on it necessarily - rather just switch to the French keymap and remember the keys that are different if you don't know the layout already.)

http://tlt.psu.edu/suggestions/international/keyboards/winkey.html

French AZERTY keyboard layout:
Code:

~ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 +
& ' ( - _ ) =
   A Z E R T Y U I O P
   a z e r t y u i o p ^ $
    Q S D F G H J K L M %
    q s d f g h j k l m *
   > W X C V B N ? . /
   < w x c v b n , ; : !

GADZOOKS! Go for the Canadian_French layout. Smile A lot less relearning if you're used to an English language layout.
Hermes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: ASCII codes Reply with quote

Thank you for your answers but since Abiword does exactly do what I want, I stick to Abiword to do my French writing.

Hermes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: