OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

simple fill in the blank form

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garthh
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: simple fill in the blank form Reply with quote

I need to create some simple fill in the blank forms. columns representing various measured values. rows representing the production runs. nothing fancy just actual paper so we can document what we are doing. Later I can move from paper to actual data bases & electronic records, I'm just trying to take a small step from using a pen & ruler.

Garthh
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: simple fill in the blank form Reply with quote

garthh wrote:
I need to create some simple fill in the blank forms. columns representing various measured values. rows representing the production runs. nothing fancy just actual paper so we can document what we are doing. Later I can move from paper to actual data bases & electronic records, I'm just trying to take a small step from using a pen & ruler.

What exactly is your question?

Also, where have you looked so far to find information on whatever your question is?

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you want a simple lined page for with X columns and enough rows to fill the page.

Open new Writer document and do Insert > Table. In the dialog, set the number of columns you want, set Rows to about 25. The Heading item is optional but make sure the Border item is checked.

If you need more rows to fill out the page click in the rightmost cell of the last row and tap the Tab key. If you need to delete row(s), select the row(s), right click > Row > Delete.

If this is what you want is sure does beat your pen & ruler. Wink
garthh
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply [s]
& excuse the reply delay
My friend, who is pretty good @ Excel, showed me some stuff that is common to both
He thought OO was very good & downloaded it on his machine
in answer to where I've looked for help: help pg., support forum....
I need a place to find very basic info, I couldn't find things like resizing cells, text wrap, once I saw that I could drag the edge of the cell to resize the whole row or column, things got much easier.
I guess spread sheet basics, the help is geared towards intermediate users & I'm a pre-beginer.

now if I could figure out how to make the cells resize to fit the text, w/out me having to manually re size

I'm making a series of sheets on a spreadsheet, each 1 being an indiviual test w/explanation & blanks for the results
In the future the test info will be inputed right to the database & skip the paper copy

but I need to walk before I can run

Garthh
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garthh wrote:
but I need to walk before I can run

Have a look at the documents in the link in my sig line. You'll find good information in the OpenOffice Getting Started guide, and the Migration guide has some useful comparisons with MS Office applications. Then of course you have the Calc guide and the Writer guide. I haven't looked at the Calc one but the Writer guide is well laid out and clearly written. Those will at least be something you can have in hand as you're walking through things. Good luck.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
garthh
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks foxcole

I remember seeing those & now I actually understand enough to tackle templates & such

I get stuck in this neterland as I've only had a computer a couple of years, but have dealt w/plc's for 15-20yaers.
The 2nd teir basic stuff, can get a little tricky as to documentation

I'll keep trying stuff
I wish I had time & knowlege to do some wiki's

Garthh
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garthh wrote:
My friend, who is pretty good @ Excel, showed me some stuff that is common to both

This is the Writer conference. You'd have better luck then with Calc? You can force text to fit cells, and with the Page Break review select which rows/columns to have per page. But as you say, you might want to crawl before walking, or be asking for advice each and every step of the way.

David.
garthh
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David!
There are soo many things on OO
I think I'll go lurk on the Calc forumn for a bit

Garthh
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: simple fill in the blank form Reply with quote

garthh wrote:

Garthh

This is very easy to do in Calc. Decide how many columns and rows you want in the form then select that many columns and rows on a blank sheet. Use the Borders icon on the toolbar to put printable borders around the cells. You can now click the Page Preview icon to preview the printed form. Close the preview and make any necessary changes to the columns/rows.
Dave189
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writer is great for fill in the bank forms, that is what we primarily use it for. lease's , contracts etc. It is alittle hard to get up to speed with writer but the work was worth it I l now think it terrific and is all we use at our company now..
This forum and it's many unselfish and helpful people are certainly a fantastic asset also...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: