OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Date formatting screwy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfriesen
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Date formatting screwy Reply with quote

I like my dates formatted like MM/DD/YY. I select a bunch of cells and choose this formatting for them at Format > Cells > Numbers Tab.

However, this doesn't always work. For some cells it does, while for others the month and day are switched (DD/MM/YY). I have to input my date like DD/MM/YY, then Calc switches it around to MM/DD/YY, but that means my data is all over the map, with some dates entered correctly and others incorrectly. It's really annoying, and in the couple of years I've been using calc I have never figured this out.

How can I get CONSISTENT MM/DD/YY formatting of my dates in Calc?

TIA!
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Date formatting screwy Reply with quote

jfriesen wrote:
I like my dates formatted like MM/DD/YY. I select a bunch of cells and choose this formatting for them at Format > Cells > Numbers Tab.

However, this doesn't always work. For some cells it does, while for others the month and day are switched (DD/MM/YY). I have to input my date like DD/MM/YY, then Calc switches it around to MM/DD/YY, but that means my data is all over the map, with some dates entered correctly and others incorrectly. It's really annoying, and in the couple of years I've been using calc I have never figured this out.

How can I get CONSISTENT MM/DD/YY formatting of my dates in Calc?

TIA!
Put the cursor in a blank cell and then select Format-->Cells-->Number. What is the preselected date format? What version of OOo are you using? I have US English on V2.2 and my dates are all formatted MMDDYY by default.
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will need to change your locale to English (USA) - or some other locale that uses the setting you want as the default (if there is another such locale). See Tools >Options >Language Settings >Languages: Locale Setting.
huwg
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Date formatting screwy Reply with quote

jfriesen wrote:
I select a bunch of cells and choose this formatting for them at Format > Cells > Numbers Tab.

This is called Direct Formatting, and annoyingly, Calc will remove it if you accidentally enter something it doesn't recognise as a date. So if you mis-type a date, hit enter, then later notice your mistake and go back and put in a correct date, it will be formatted in the default style, presumably dd/mm/yy in your case. More here:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=212075

Cell Styles are my preferred solution, although even they aren't perfect - they can be unknowingly removed too, by Ctrl-X, or moving cells with the mouse, for example. More here:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=215538#215538

I just changed
Tools>Options>Language Settings>Languages>Language of Locale Setting
from English UK to Default, which I assume means 'use the Windows system setting', and it continued to use a two digit year (yy) as default, whilst I'm pretty sure the system setting is yyyy (is there an easy way to check Windows date settings? our environment is locked down, so I can't look at the settings). It does, however, swap correctly between UK (dd/mm/yy) and US (mm/dd/yy) format, so that is probably your simplest answer, as noranthon already suggested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: