OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Question about dataset design in Base
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richbl
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Question about dataset design in Base Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've just recently begun playing around in Base (slowly migrating away from MS Office), and I have what I suspect is more of a design question than one of implementation.

As an exercise, I want to develop a an exercise-tracking database. I want to track the weight and repetitions for all of a dozen or so exercises.

So, a single record might look like this:

Code:
Date

Aerobic rowing     weight     reps
Calf raises        weight     reps
Leg press          weight     reps

Note that the single record is a list of all exercises, with weight and reps duplicated for each item in the list of exercises, and a date stamp (of when the exercises were performed).

So, my question is how to design this in Base?

I first thought to create a separate table called EXERCISES which I then filled in with a list of exercises. But, when it came time to create a form for data entry, I cannot seem to display the entire table list and also show weight and reps fields for each individual exercise.

I've searched around for some sample ODB files (I learn best by picking apart existing examples), but haven't yet found anything that comes close to what I want to do.

Please advise.

Thanks.
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello richbl,

I will be happy to give you some advise. I will require payment however, in the form of, information. A small number of questions will be asked by me.

So, if you are not willing to meet my terms please stop reading now :- (~

Rolling Eyes Everyone knows he's joking right...

Adivice Item One: Get something to drink, and pull up a chair when you have 30 minutes to spare.....and

Do the following:

( Please just follow it and do it, don't try to customize it YET, I know it is not setup for reps yet, you'll see how easy you can do that later - trust me - learn to use the wizards and you can make what you need in a snap )

Create a new empty Base file, name it ExerciseLog

From the Base window click on the Tables

In the Tasks section select 'Use wizard to create table...'

In the table wizard do:

For Category select 'Personal'

In the drop down for database select ExerciseLog

Click the button '>>' selecting all fields

Click NEXT

Click Next again

On the Set primary Key page select 'Use an existing field as primary key'

In the drop down for 'Fieldname' select LogID

Just to the right of the drop down for 'fieldname' is the checkbox 'Auto value', select this.

Click NEXT

On the 'Create Table' page select 'Create form based on this table.

Click 'Finished'

In a few seconds the Form Wizard will open, do the following:

Click on the button '>>' selecting all fields.

Click Finished

On the 'Set Name of Form' page click Finished

The form is open for editing, but just go ahead and close it.

Save your work. File>Save Twisted Evil

What you have at this moment
    One database file named ExerciseLog.odb
    One Table named ExerciseLog
    One Form named ExerciseLog

In database jargon, you have created a flat database. At this point don't get caught in the trap of thinking about 'Relational Database Theory' or any of that. Your just making a list of exercises you did.

Question One : How long did it take you to do the above.
    < 10 minutes
    Approximately 15 Mintutes
    > 15 Minutes

Now don't stop reading:

Advise item two:

( The columns you wanted need to be added and then make a display for a record in the way you should in your post )

The first part is dead simple, just add two new columns to the table. Don't worry about where in the table, as you will rearrange things on your form.

Go back to the Tables section of the Base file.

Right click on the ExerciseLog table and select 'Edit'

In the empty row below 'WorkoutDate' enter 'Repetition' for the field name.

In the next column select 'Integer[INTEGER]' for the field type.

That was the first missing column, now the second

In the empty row just below Repetition enter Weight for field name.

In the field type drop down select 'Integer[INTEGER]'

Save and close the table design editor.

Now that the two fields are in our table let's add them to the form.

Switch to the Forms view in the Base file.

Right click on the form ExcerciseLog and select 'Edit'

With the form open in edit mode select the table grid control by clicking on it.

( If it is not open on the screen open it with View>Tool bars>Form Designer. )

Now, on the Form Designer tool bar click on 'Add Fields', it is the sixth button from the left

In the Add Fields box the two new columns, Repetition and Weight are now listed.

Click on the word Repetition and holding the left mouse button down drag it to the column header row on the table grid. The mouse button will change telling you that you can drop the column. Let go of the mouse button, the column is added to the grid AHEAD of the column header you dropped it on.

Do the same for the new Weight column.

Go ahead and close the Add Fields box also, we are done with it for the moment.

At this point you can rearrange the columns in the grid any way you like.

You can move a column by clicking on the column header and dragging left or right.
    You can hide a column by right clicking on the column header and selecting 'Hide' on the menu.
    You can show a hidden column by right clicking on the column header and selecting 'Show'

How I rearranged mine was to show the columns from left to right as:

WorkoutDate, ExerciseType, Weight, Repetitions

Your could, if you liked, also hide all other columns. I did not because for the next step we are going to make a different form so I am going to leave this form with all columns as a kind of Master ExerciseLog view.

Save and close the form ExerciseLog

Notice that right now you could use that form to enter all the data you wanted. The only headache is you have to enter the date over and over for each exercise.

As I said the next step is to build a form that looks like your first request.

Code:

Date

Aerobic rowing weight reps
    Calf raises weight reps
    Leg press weight reps

So in essence what we are going to do is create a form that has a master item, a specific date; and a related list of items, exercises performed on that date.

Before we do it however, this is going to use a trick that you may not understand fully. That is OK, we can talk about how it works later is you like.

To do this we will need to create a couple of queries such that we can group exercise log entries by a given date, enter new ones for that date or edit old records for a given date. Remember we have a flat database, one table.

Select the Query section of the Base file.

The first query will be used for our Master work out date.

Select 'Creae query in design view'

Add the table ExerciseLog to the query and click Close.

Double click on the field WorkoutDate in the table
or
In the the grid on the bottom of the designer, in the first column select from the field drop down 'WorkoutDate', then click on the check box for visible.

In the grid on the bottom of the designer, in the column for Workoutdate select in the function drop down 'Group'

You can test the query now if you like by clicking on the 'Run' tool bar button. You should get no error messages.

Save the query with the name 'qryWorkOutDates'

Close the query designer.

Start a new query by selecting 'Create Query in design view'

Add the table ExerciseLog

Add the single field WorkoutDate

In the grid on the bottom of the designer, in the column for Workoutdate select in the Sort drop down 'Descending'

Again if you want you can test the query.

Save and name the query 'qryDatesList'

close the designer window.

Change to the Forms section of the Base file.

Select 'Create form in design view'

Ensure that the Form Design and Form Controls tool bars are open, if not open them.

Open the 'Form navigator' window. This is the tool button fifth from the left on the Form Design tool bar.

I really think it best to show this to you in two steps. so that you see what the trick is. At the end of the first step the form will be finished for displaying existing records and for adding new records to an existing date in the file and editing existing records. There won't be an easy way to add a whole new date yet, that will be the trick...( some already now there is going to be a simple script "macro" for this trick.

OK - step one:

In the form navigator window is the item 'Forms'

Right click on this and select 'New>Form'

Change the name of this new item from Standard to 'WorkoutDates'

Right click on the WorkoutDates dataform item and select 'Properties'

In the Form Properties editor, on the Data page:

Content Type drop down change to 'Query'

Content drop down select 'qeryWorkOutDates'

Close the property editor

In the Form Navigator window again right click on WorkOutDates and select 'New>Form'

Change the names to ExerciseLog

Right click on the new ExerciseLog dataform item and select 'Properties'

In the properties editor:

Leave the Content Type as Table
For Content select 'ExerciseLog'

TIP - the editor has a silly little habit of not noticing that you change things in drop downs until you switch to a different property so -

use your mouse to click in the text box for 'Link Master Fields'

The button just to the right of the text box, '...' is not enabled, click it.

The Link Fields dialog box opens. There are two lists of drop down boxes titled, ExerciseLog and qryWorkOutDates.

In the first row of drop down boxes select 'WorkoutDate' for each.

Click OK

Close the property editor.

Save and name the form 'DailyExerciseLog'

In the Form Navigator window you now have three items.
Forms -
- WorkOutdates
- ExerciseLog

In other words:
There are no controls on the form yet, but in the Form Navigator window you have a Tree representation of the Relations for the two sets of controls that make up this complex ( meaning any form that has more then one data source ) form.

The database form named DailyExerciseLog as two data sources named WorkOutDates and ExerciseLog.

And now we'll add some controls to the form.

Open the 'Add Fields' window. The sixth button from the left on that tool bar, as you may recall.

Before proceeding you should understand that the Form Navigator and Add Fields windows work together. You can see what I mean by using your mouse to select different items in the Form Navigator. See the columns from the respective datasource of each of the items in the navigator are displayed as you change items in the tree.

We will want to add one control for the WorkOutDates form as a text box and three items from ExerciseLog to a table grid.

So select WorkOutDates in the Form Navigator.

Click on WorkoutDate in the Add Fields window and drag it onto the form near the top.

Click on ExerciseLog in the Form navigator window.

TIP 2 - - The Add Fields window does not support dragging multiple items, a feature that needs to be added.

There is no Table Grid Control available for the form at the moment. It is on the tool bar 'More Controls' and this can only be displayed by clicking on the 'More Controls' button of the form controls tool bar.

Click on the 'More Controls' button on the Form Controls tool bar. The third from the last button.

Click on the Table Control

Click on the form where you want your grid to begin and while holding the mouse button drag to create a rectangle. Release the mouse button and the Table Element wizard opens.

Move the following fields from the 'Existing Fields' list to the 'Selected Files' list.

ExerciseType
Weight
Repetitions

Click Finished

Close the Form Design, More Controls and Form Controls tool bars.

Save the form and close it.

Save the Base file.

Congrats, you have just created a Master>Sub Form data form.

Remember the limitations on the form as it stands, we cant enter completely new dates. But to prove that it works for all the other functions I mentioned earlier how about a couple of records; to prime the pump so to speak.

Open the ExerciseLog form and enter the following:

Code:

WorkoutDate    ExerciseType    Weight    Repetitions

01/01/07    Aerobic rowing
01/01/07    Calf raises
01/01/07    Cobra Stretch
01/02/07    Aerobic rowing
01/02/07    Calf raises
01/02/07    Cobra Stretch
01/03/07    Aerobic rowing
01/03/07    Calf raises
01/03/07    Cobra Stretch

Don't worry about adding weight and reps for the moment.

Close the form.

Open the form DailyExerciseLog

This is what you need to know about this form to use it right now.

There is a form navigator bar at the bottom of the form window. There is also a form navigator bar at the bottom of the table gird.

By default all dataforms ( those data source items in the Form Navigator window, as I referred to them as ) will take control of the form navigator at the bottom of the form on screen whenever any control belonging to it is selected.

The form navigator on the bottom of the grid will always just be attached to the datasource that the Table grid is attached to, on the other hand.

That tip is in preparation for the 'Trick' we are about to do in the next step.

Before the next step though. Go ahead and add weight and reps information to the current records.

Use the form navigator bar on the Table grid to insert a new record and fill it in.

You can delete existing records from the Table grid.

You just can't add a new date, because the form navigator bar on the Form window is set as read only when working with the WorkoutDate control.

Question Two -

How long as it taken you to get this far and did you have any problems getting here?

Step two is for the next message in the list. I will be adding it momentarily. ( well, a few minutes anyway...)

One final post for the day will be after that. Let's go ahead and add two reports, WeeklyExercises and Monthly Exercises, and show how to use the data in a Calc file.

Then as is my custom I'll place a copy of the Base files, one as of this moment and the second at the end of the last post on my ftp server for download.

OH and by the way...save the file again...just for me - OK...

BYB
richbl
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Wow... Reply with quote

@DrewJensen,

Wow... thanks for the excellent step-by-step procedure. I walked through it just now and it was very clear and informative. There's a lot of interesting facets to Base with which I can play around.

One problem that I encountered was the following passage:

Quote:
TIP - the editor has a silly little habit of not noticing that you change things in drop downs until you switch to a different property so -

The Link Fields dialog box opens. There are two lists of drop down boxes titled, ExerciseLog and qryWorkOutDates.

In the first row of drop down boxes select 'WorkoutDate' for each.

Click OK

In the Data tab for ExerciseLog, I did not see any reference to "Link Master Fields." Was this part of the Data tab, or elsewhere in the Form Designer interface? Also, what was the purpose of this procedure?

The walk-through for the first half took me about 3 minutes, while the second half took me closer to 10 minutes (mostly spent on understanding this Link Master Fields issue).

As of now, i have a form that appears to yield two disparate sets of data: date and the rest of the dataset (activity, weight, reps). As you point out, record navigation appears to be linked to the control with focus, so I can either move through date records, or move through dataset (activity, weight, reps) records, yet neither is linked to the other.

I'm guessing that your next installment will be to use some scripting to tie these two aspects together... and herein lies the key to my inability to get my brain around how to get these two datasets to work together as one.

Again, thanks. Your time spent on helping me out is very much appreciated.
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback.

I know I need to proof read that first post and fix a few types. Perhaps one of those lead to the confusion, or maybe it is the OOo versions.

( Note I began this around 10 Am today, have taken my time and plenty of other things done during the day – now it is 7:15 and have just finished an amazing supper of grilled steak, after two days or marinating, backed potato and a fresh salad...Uhm Uhm Good! .. and I told myself to get this finished in one day .. I think I'll still make it, although it may be nearer midnight then I had planned )

Question Three:

Which version of OOo are you using and on which OS?

Question Four( 2 parts ):
What was your experience with Excel or Calc before doing this tutorial?
What was your experience with MS Access or desktop databases in general?

And now for the next installment.

OK – If you have the ExerciseLog file open, please close it and re-open it.

Advice item Three – Use the Form Wizard to create Master>Sub forms in most cases.

So why did I have you make that DailyExerciseLog form in the designer? Well, so that when you do it now in the wizard you actually understand enough about what was built for you, that you can then customize it without getting lost.

I said in the first message that once you understand the wizards you could build this form in a snap. So now you will use the form wizard again to see that I really mean that and, less fortunately, see why the need for the trick.

I also want to re-emphasize that we created only one table – this is a flat database – the trick is forced on us because of this.

When I am finished I'll show you what you could have done different not to need it, but don't think was an extra amount of wasted time. At least I hope not, because you should really have good foundation for using Base tools when you are done.

You might ask: Why did you have me close the Base file and open it again? That was just to emphasize that the default for a Base file is to open in the forms view. Base is intended to be used with forms, not by opening the tables directly in data view windows. Oh, you can do that no problem – but if you get in the habit of automatically creating a simple form with just a table grid control for newly created tables that you want to regularly update your experience with Base will be much better.

TIP – You can use the table wizard to create tables from scratch – you do not have to select one of the table structures delivered with the OpenOffice.org installment.

Fine – enough jabbering on my part, let's make the form with the wiard.

Select 'Use wizard to create fom...'

Select the table ExerciseLog

Select just one field, WorkoutDate

Click NEXT

On the 'Setup a sub form' step ( the page being named 'Decide if you want to set up a sub form' ), click 'Add subform'

Select the radio button 'Subform based on manual selection of fields'

Click NEXT

TIP - By now hopefully you are noticing that on the left side of the wizard is a list of steps. You could be moving around in the wizard by selecting those steps that are enabled instead of just 'Click NEXT'. Items on this list will be enabled or disabled in wizards based on choices you make at each of the steps.

On the 'Add subform fields' step ( the page is titles 'Select the fields of your subform' ) you must select the table ExerciseLog in the 'Tables or queries' drop down.

TIP - You may see fields listed on this page under 'Available fields' even if the drop down is empty, but don't select any fields till you select a table or query

Now select the fields ExerciseType, Weight, Repetitions and WorkoutDate. ( That last one is very important – you will see why in a second )

Click NEXT

This is the 'Get joined fields' step.

In the first drop down box under 'First joined subform field' select WorkoutDate.

In the first drop down box under 'First joined Main form field' select WorkoutDate.

Click NEXT

Now you are at the 'Arrange Controls' step.

In the group titled 'Arrangement of main form' select the group style second from the left.

In the group titled 'Arrangement of the subform' leave the default selection of a table grid.

Don't do anything with the step 'Set data entry'. You will use that a little later in this post, but for now just use the default settings.

The same is for the 'Apply styles' step.

Go to the 'Set name' step in the wizard.

Name the form 'DailyLog_Almost'

Click Finished.

Notice that it looks for all intent and purpose to be the same as the DailyExerciseLog form you made earlier – with one difference you have a fourth column in the Table grid. The column WorkoutDate. You could hide this if you like. Remember just open in edit mode, right click on the column header 'WorkoutDate' and select hide. For now leave it visible so you can see how the main>sub form links use the field.

The two forms are definitely not the same however – they don't act the same. At this point you should take a minute to try and understand just how and why this is true.

To do this, toggle to the Base file window and open the earlier form DailyExerciseLog.
Resize and arrange that and the form DailyLog_Almost so that you can see both on the screen at the same time.

Look at the form ( data ) navigator at the bottom of each form window. See the difference in record counts.

Use the next and previous buttons on each to change main records.

See why the form is named “_Almost”.

However, you can add a whole new dates set of records in the second form. If you have your cursor in the 'WorkoutDate' date control on the top of the form you can select 'New Record' on the data navigator bar at the bottom of the form. The control and the grid go empty.

Enter a new date: 07/04/07

Click on the 'Save record' button on the form's data navigator bar.

TIP - On some versions of OOo you will at this moment need to perform what is euphemistically referred to in software jargon as 'a work around' in order to immediately enter new records in the Table grid. So if there is nothing in the Table grid at this second do this: Using the data navigator bar on the form again, click on 'Previous Record' [<] and 'Next Record'.

Notice that the Table grid now has one record in it. The record has only one fields worth of data, WorkoutDate. Fill that in as you like, and of course you can add more ExerciseLog records the normal way in the Table grid.

If you switch to the form DailyExerciseLog and click on the 'Last record' button of the forms data navigator you will see the new data.

TIP – remember that the cursor or focus must be in the main form, the WorkoutDate date control for the data navigator to be working with that datasource. When we 'trick out' the form I will show you how to make that behave a little better.

-------- I'll be taking a break for about an hour ---- It's 22:30 EST now ------
-------- When I come back I will EDIT this specific posted message and then enter the final posting after that.
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday afternoon....

Well, did not make it back here last night...sorry.

I did get back to it today however.

What I will do now is give you a chance to see where this is all going. I have more or less finished the full database:

One Table
3 Forms ( The master grid, the exercise log as you asked, and a bonus )
1 Document ( this is just a slot for the thread )
11 queries
2 reports
2 basic macros ( 22 lines of Basic code )

So - for now here is where you can get the database and basic code:
downloaded from my ftp server at
www.paintedfrogceramics.com/OpenOffice/exerciselog/ExerciseLog_Step_4odb.tar.gz

I will not be able to finish the tutorial part tonight and will have to wait until tomorrow for that...but I will....

Talk to you then

Drew
richbl
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Drew,

Thanks much.

While I haven't yet had a chance to dig too deeply with the archive, it definitely fits the bill, and I'll have some fun picking it apart and learning how things tick.

I did get a scripting error when running the base file. I'm not sure if the BAS file needs to get dropped somewhere special (I had it sitting in the same folder as the odb file).

To answer the questions you had asked in the second "installment" of your tutorial:

--I'm running Base on both Vista and Ubuntu boxes. OpenOffice is part of my strategy to move away from closed-source applications (interestingly, I'm a former Microsoft developer who used to work on Word, so it perhaps is a little ironic that I've decided to dump my alma mata in favor of OpenOffice and Linux Wink).

--I've used Excel fairly extensively in the past; Access slightly less so. Access is more heavily table-centric in its design, so my introduction to Base and its focus on "forms first" was quite unusual (even unsettling) to me. To be fair, though, the last time I did any database work was six or seven years ago, so things may have changed.

Once again, thank you very kindly for your help. As I had stated in my original post, I learn best with I have something to tinker with, so your examples are perfect.

rich
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scripting error is my mistake...I need to fix that.

At this point it will be tomorrow
richbl
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrewJensen wrote:
The scripting error is my mistake...I need to fix that.

At this point it will be tomorrow

Drew,

My mistake: I hadn't copied the script functions into Module 1 of the Standard library.

The scripting error is no longer.

Thanks again.

rich
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick line..

In the script file distributed please change the following using the Basic editor:

In the Standard libary, Module 1 was added a sub procedure setDateFieldToToday. The procedure should be as follows:

Code:

sub setDateFieldToToday( oEv as Object )

dim oDateField as variant

oDateField = thiscomponent.currentController.getControl( oEv.Source.getByName("DateField") )
  oDateField.Date = CDateToIso( now() )

end sub

Drew
crackers!
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: THANKS Drew! Reply with quote

Thanks for this great tutorial!

I am very new to base and am setting up a billing database. Sure there are many things different from the exercise log tutorial, but I have learned lots!!!

I have two questions,

1. You have two queries one is qryWorkOutDate which is linked to the form DailyExerciseLog. I understand that is how you produce the workout dates.

What is the second query qryDatesList for?

2. Are you planning to finish this tutorial on the following?

One Table
3 Forms ( The master grid, the exercise log as you asked, and a bonus )
1 Document ( this is just a slot for the thread )
11 queries
2 reports
2 basic macros ( 22 lines of Basic code )

I can't wait for the next part!
crackers
Alan Stancliff
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrewJensen wrote:
Hello richbl,

I will be happy to give you some advise. I will require payment however, in the form of, information. A small number of questions will be asked by me.

So, if you are not willing to meet my terms please stop reading now :- (~

Rolling Eyes Everyone knows he's joking right...
***********SNIP*****************

Hi Drew,

I just started playing with ooBase, and I'm pretty new to databases. So I thought I'd start off with your tutorial. I'm using version 2.3 on a Windoze XP 2nd service pack.

I was going through the tutorial and everything was going swimingly until I came up to where you said this:
DrewJensen wrote:
Right click on the form ExcerciseLog and select 'Edit'
With the form open in edit mode select the table grid control by clicking on it.

I spent about 20 minutes looking for the "table grid control" and could not find it.

Please advise.

Alan Stancliff
My Web Page
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Menu:View>Toolbars>"Form Controls"
Second button toggles design mode on and off. In design mode you can edit the form and it's controls, in "normal" mode you can use the form.
Second last button opens another toolbar "More Controls", providing tools to generate less often required form controls. The second last button on that toolbar allows you to draw a table grid, representing a query, view or table. Each column in a table grid can be set up separately (right-click,...).
Alan Stancliff
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villeroy wrote:
Menu:View>Toolbars>"Form Controls"
Second button toggles design mode on and off. In design mode you can edit the form and it's controls, in "normal" mode you can use the form.
Second last button opens another toolbar "More Controls", providing tools to generate less often required form controls. The second last button on that toolbar allows you to draw a table grid, representing a query, view or table. Each column in a table grid can be set up separately (right-click,...).

Thanks, Villeroy,

I'm a bit slammed with work right now, but tomorrow I'm going to check it out.

I appreciate the response.

Alan Stancliff
My Web Page
Alan Stancliff
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I started the whole tutorial this time and got quite a bit further. I had a problem at the step referred to in my last post. When I clicked on the table grid goody, I just got an empty box. I found that if I right-clicked on the form itself, then clicked on the table grid goody, I saw the fields and was able to get further.

But I did get stuck where the instructions say this:
Quote:

The buttons are grayed out, and no amount of clicking loosens them up, and I can't find the WD-3 fluid to spray on them. Laughing

Any suggestions out there?

Alan Stancliff
My Web Page
Robert.H

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Where is the Form Properties Editor? Reply with quote

Hello

System: Vista64, OpenOffice.Org 3.0

In the first part of Mr. DrewJensen's guide....

DrewJensen wrote:

I really think it best to show this to you in two steps. so that you see what the trick is. At the end of the first step the form will be finished for displaying existing records and for adding new records to an existing date in the file and editing existing records. There won't be an easy way to add a whole new date yet, that will be the trick...( some already now there is going to be a simple script "macro" for this trick.

OK - step one:

In the form navigator window is the item 'Forms'

Right click on this and select 'New>Form'

Change the name of this new item from Standard to 'WorkoutDates'

Right click on the WorkoutDates dataform item and select 'Properties'

In the Form Properties editor, on the Data page:

Content Type drop down change to 'Query'

Content drop down select 'qeryWorkOutDates'

Close the property editor

BYB

I can not find the "Form Properties editor" on the data page.

When I right click on the "WorkoutDates" I get the properties selection, but nothing happens. I am not sure what the Data Page is.

So my question is what is a data page? And where is the Form Properties editor?

Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: