OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Problem! Missing data/content in Writer BUT shows in MS Word
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russelt
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Problem! Missing data/content in Writer BUT shows in MS Word Reply with quote

Using OO 2.0.2 and Word 2000 in Windows XP Professional

The following sequence of events details how a document was edited and saved using OpenOffice, then reopened to find that most of the data had disappeared and, for what was left, there were some formatting changes. When the file was reopened in MS Word, all the information was there and displayed properly. Why, when working in OpenOffice does the information after saving not show up again properly in OpenOffice, but will in MS Word?

1) Started with an existing .doc file. This original doc was a template that had been reused a number of times to create new docs.
2) Using OpenOffice, made changes over the course of 3 hours (off and on)
3) Saved the file in .doc format several time with different version numbers
4) Opened the latest version in OpenOffice the next day, the first 4 pages are there but not the last 5.
- The 5 pages that are missing in OO included regular text, tables and bullets.
- In the first 4 pages, text was missing in tables, extra lines were added between numbering sequences thereby creating new numbers, and in some instances, bullet points were added to the new number. (ie. original sequence was 1-4, current version contained 1-5, pushing #3 down to #4. New #3 had a new series of bullet points with no data).
- Some of the text that went missing from the tables had appeared at the end of the document, concatenated, and also included text that was originally in an old template that had been deleted a number of template versions ago.
5) Opened the file in Word all the information is there - all 9 pages - in the proper format and order.

Because of the sensitive information in the files I can not upload them to the server.

If anyone has any insight into the cause of the issues and can provide with any resolution/workaround to the problem, please advise.

Thanks....
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand well, you've used the versionning feature at save, i.e. all new versions in a single .doc file.

I've seen some issues with this feature on this forum, it may be not robust enough yet.

The good point is that it is fine with MS Word. BTW, if you save with MS Word, is it fine again with OOo ?
russelt
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have saved each file as a new file. E.G. document1.doc, document2.doc, document3.doc

And no, when I open the file in OOo I am missing the information/content but when I open it in MS Word all of the content is there.

Anyone?

Thank you
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeing the document, it's rather difficult to investigate tis kind of issue. If you show non printing characters, are the 5 pages still missing ? Perhaps a font attribute set to hidden. Note that it has to be also activated in the general settings Tools>Options>OOo Writer>... Test on a portion of text that you set as hidden. It shoul dbe displayed with a grey underline (same as spell check but grey).
russelt
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Same issue again - Different Files Reply with quote

Hello,

I have another user in my orgainization experiencing the same issue.

1. Opened brand new document in OpenOffice. Typed text, with some bold, italics, underlines. No tabs.
2. Saved in the OpenOffice .odt format. Only one page. Saved a couple times, but did not version.
3. Saved another copy in .doc format with the same name.
4. Next morning, opened up the .odt format version to continue, half the text is missing. Opened up the .doc format, text is all there.

I have copies of the files I can post for review. There is no hidden text.
We are running OOo 2.0.4 and Windows XP

Thanks
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Same issue again - Different Files Reply with quote

russelt wrote:
Hello,

I have another user in my orgainization experiencing the same issue.

1. Opened brand new document in OpenOffice. Typed text, with some bold, italics, underlines. No tabs.
2. Saved in the OpenOffice .odt format. Only one page. Saved a couple times, but did not version.
3. Saved another copy in .doc format with the same name.
4. Next morning, opened up the .odt format version to continue, half the text is missing. Opened up the .doc format, text is all there.

I have copies of the files I can post for review. There is no hidden text.
We are running OOo 2.0.4 and Windows XP

Thanks

Can you post an example somewhere like mytempdir.com?

Also, what happens when you open Print Preview in the Writer version?

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
russelt
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Print Preview - no data

Here are the files:

http://www.mytempdir.com/1317709
(.DOC created in Writer with data missing)

http://www.mytempdir.com/1317712
(.odt file)

Thanks
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I noticed :
.doc file wrote:
Project Manager: +++ ++++

This instruction sheet is intended to communicate to you, the test participant, the overall goal of the project and what will be expected of you.

.odt version wrote:
Project Manager: ***********

This instruction sheet is intended to communicate to the test participants the overall goal of the project and what will be expected of them.

Therefore, what I think is that the user worked on the .odt file, Saved as .doc and continued to work on this file. But once the file has been Saved as, OOo keeps these last settings. So the .odt file is not updated anymore and the modifications done between the last manual save (either CTRL+S or icon button) and the Save as action are lost.

It seems to be a method issue and not an OOo bug. To avoid this data loss, I would recommend the Save as action just after having saved the .odt first. Then, reload the .odt if additional work is needed. But basically, the export to .doc should be the last action to be done (once the .odt file has been saved, your data are supposed to be safe).
russelt
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thank you for the quick response BUT...

I spoke to the user and throughout the day they saved the file as .odt after each change (approx every half hour). At the end of the day they decided to do work from, opened the .odt file and did a save as .doc.

Didn't end up doing any work at home and the next day when both documents were opened the data was gone.

Thoughts?
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But in the files you provided, the text is different (the quotes I made). So there is not only "missing" data ; it's a different "branch" of the document.

Before saving as .doc, were they sure to have saved in .odt ?
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

russelt wrote:
... At the end of the day they decided to do work from, opened the .odt file and did a save as .doc.

Didn't end up doing any work at home and the next day when both documents were opened the data was gone....

If the .odt file was opened, saved as .doc, then closed without any changes, the missing data must have been in the .odt file when the .doc file was saved and something must have changed the .odt file after that time. Have you checked for a virus? I noticed that the .doc file you uploaded had a "printed" date of January 01, 2113. Do you know what caused that error?
russelt
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

No virus.

I also do not understand what you mean by branch.

Thank you
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it had been the same document (with a problem during export), there would have been missing data only. Since the text is different, it means that the document has been started, then saved as .doc and continued in .doc. Therefore, there are 2 branches : one in odt and one in doc. Look at the time stamps or the editing properties (menu File>Properties) of both documents. I'm quite sure the .doc has been edited much longer than the .odt.
russelt
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did modify them before posting them to delete the contact name, email address and telephone number of the person in my organization who created the files. All I did was blank out, or insert characters over her contact information.

Thanks
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

russelt wrote:
Yes, I did modify them before posting them to delete the contact name, email address and telephone number of the person in my organization who created the files.

Yes, I was quite sure about it because they were less than 10 minutes of editing time. But check on the original files provided by your user.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: