OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Missing Times New Roman font in Special Characters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KJoslin

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Missing Times New Roman font in Special Characters Reply with quote

I'm using the 2.2.0 version of Open Office on Ubuntu, and my documents are always created in Times New Roman. However, my Special Characters menu (under Insert) doesn't include any subsets in the Times New Roman font. Trying to find the correct special character in a font that looks similar enough to pass takes a massive amount of time. Then when I insert a special character, the font won't change back to Times New Roman, and my regular font menu gets switched to the font menu under Special Characters so I can't switch it back that way, either. From the Howto_special_char.pdf document, it certainly sounds like I should have Times New Roman installed in the Special Characters menu. Is there a way for me to install it? If I install Open Office all over again will that fix the problem? Anything else I can do to solve this problem? (Simple solutions, that is. I don't have the time to figure out how to use codes, macros, etc.) Thanks, I appreciate any help!
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Missing Times New Roman font in Special Characters Reply with quote

KJoslin wrote:
I'm using the 2.2.0 version of Open Office on Ubuntu, and my documents are always created in Times New Roman. However, my Special Characters menu (under Insert) doesn't include any subsets in the Times New Roman font.

Works fine for me. Have you installed the msttfcorefonts package ?

KJoslin wrote:
Then when I insert a special character, the font won't change back to Times New Roman, and my regular font menu gets switched to the font menu under Special Characters so I can't switch it back that way, either.

See this thread : Special Character Issue in OOo 2.2.
KJoslin

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if that's installed on my computer. It's a work computer, so I'm not the one who set up the hardware & software. I tried searching for that on the Open Office download page and came up with nothing. Where would I be able to download it from? Thanks!
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If so, I guess you don't have any administrator rights. You should ask your support to check the font.

I think it has been installed because if all new documents are created with TNR, it means that OOo finds it on the system. But perhaps there is a problem with the font installation. You can look in the folder usr/share/fonts/truetype if there is a folder msttcorefonts.
KJoslin

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked that location and msttcorefonts isn't in there. I didn't see TNR among the fonts there, either. That folder seemed to contain just the fonts in the Special Characters menu. I've done a brief search and I can't find other fonts or TNR installed elsewhere, but the search option isn't coming up with much and I don't really know where to look. We've only been using Ubuntu for a month or two, so I don't know the OS very well. I'll have to talk to our computer guy. Thanks for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: