OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Creating a shortcut for 'clear formatting'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisg101

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Creating a shortcut for 'clear formatting' Reply with quote

Is there a way I can create a keyboard shortcut for 'clear formatting' (available from the style dropdown box)?

I am finding that I have to use the 'Clear Formatting' option a lot as when I assign a new style to a block of text that already has a style attached, it won't update unless I am clear the formatting then assign style.

Anyway, this process would be a lot quicker if I could create shortcut for the clear formatting option. Please note that just assigning the text black the default style doesn't cut it.

I can't find the option under Tools->Customize ('Keyboard' tab). Sad
TessaES
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a shortcut assigned to "apply default format", it is ctrl+shift+space
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Creating a shortcut for 'clear formatting' Reply with quote

chrisg101 wrote:
Is there a way I can create a keyboard shortcut for 'clear formatting' (available from the style dropdown box)? (

Try recording a macro then create a keyboard shortcut to run the macro.

TessaES wrote:
There is a shortcut assigned to "apply default format", it is ctrl+shift+space

"Clear Formatting" also applies the Default paragraph style, so CTRL+SHIFT+SPACE could be followed by CTRL+0 to apply the style.
acknak

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am finding that I have to use the 'Clear Formatting' option a lot as when I assign a new style to a block of text that already has a style attached, it won't update unless I am clear the formatting then assign style.

I think you only need to use Format > Default (=Ctrl+Shift+Space) and then apply your style. You certainly don't need to reset the style to "Default" before applying a different style.

You may want to remove any direct formatting, which overrides an applied style, but all direct formatting is completely removed by Format > Default.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acknak wrote:
I think you only need to use Format > Default (=Ctrl+Shift+Space) and then apply your style. You certainly don't need to reset the style to "Default" before applying a different style.

You may want to remove any direct formatting, which overrides an applied style, but all direct formatting is completely removed by Format > Default.

Just to avoid confusion, Format>Default ( or Ctrl+Shift+Space) applies the default formatting of the current paragraph style by clearing all direct formatting. Once direct formatting has been removed, you can apply a different paragraph style. If you're able to apply the Default paragraph style after removing format, then you're able to apply any paragraph style you wish, without having to apply the Default style first. (I think the nomenclature in OOo should be revised, because it uses "default" in different ways that can be confusing.)

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: