OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Auto numbering of row in table?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Auto numbering of row in table? Reply with quote

I have been trying to make cells that automatically insert consecutive numbers down the column. EG <C2> is numbered as 1, <C3> is numbered as 2 and so on. I tried to highlight the range of cells and click and the numbering icon is greyed out. Am I missing something or this feature is not present in OOo?

Issue 12102
seem to confirm my doubt. Can someone enlighten me before I put the oooqa keyword there?

Thanks.
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Do you knwo how tedious to manually insert the row number, re arrange the rows if you have inserted or deleted some rows in a big table!!!?

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cwchia,

It doesn't appear that you can number an existing set of rows in a straight forward manner however if you start numbering in row two and then add additional rows they continue the numbering.

To number a set of exiting rows create the numbering in another table then copy & paste. Don't know how stable is one is.

Back to another subject. Under Windows 98, when I first attempt to put a spreadsheet item into a Writer doc as a DDE field OO crashes. Upon recovery the field is there and adding additional ones does not cause another crash. Have you experienced this? BTW, congratulations on solving this one when no one else could!
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
It doesn't appear that you can number an existing set of rows in a straight forward manner however if you start numbering in row two and then add additional rows they continue the numbering.

Now I hate to compare OOo with MSO, but here I just cannot help doing so. I remember MSO (Word 6?) allowas you to highligh rows of contiguous cell and click the numbering icon to insert numbering into these cells. Crying or Very sad

JohnV wrote:
To number a set of exiting rows create the numbering in another table then copy & paste. Don't know how stable is one is.

Hey Thanks Pal! So far it is behaving well. Will report back here if it gets naughty Smile

JohnV wrote:
Back to another subject. Under Windows 98, when I first attempt to put a spreadsheet item into a Writer doc as a DDE field OO crashes. Upon recovery the field is there and adding additional ones does not cause another crash. Have you experienced this?

Never experience that. I was using WinXP when I accidently stumble upon that solution.
gearond

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: I found out how to do it - autofilling with a sequence Reply with quote

Select all the cells that you want to fill. Then go to [Edit][Fill][Series] The starting value, increment, etc are all there. I did numbers, I don't know if it will do more complex ones like A0-A9, then B0 ....
gearond

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: other than numbers, dates, days of weeks Reply with quote

See [Tools][Options][Spreadsheet][Sort LIsts]
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gearond,

The method you describe works for a spreadsheet (Calc) but cwichia was referring to a table in Writer.

If you look at the top of the page when reading a thread there is a line which tells you the forum the post is from (in case you came here from [New Posts] or somewhere):
OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer.

Good to see you chipping in here though Smile
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James and gearond,

I spent a good one minutes reading and re-reading the writer menu and failed to find the menu entry described by gearond until I scroll down to read James' post... Smile

Anyway thanks for your thoughts pals.

Please vote for the issue linked to my earlier post. Very Happy
shambhagwat
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit > Fill Series facility is available in Calc but not available in writer.

So, first use this facility in calc and fill the series as per your requirement.

Then select the above series and copy it (ctrl + C)

Open a new writer document.
Click on Edit>Paste special.
Select Formatted Text (RTF)

The series will be pasted.
The pasted Series is now in table format.
Select the newly pasted series.
Copy it. (ctrl + c)
Close the newly opend document.

Open your main document and select the cell where you want the starting point of the series.
Past it. (ctrl+ v)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: