OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Help Magazine Layout

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordalbel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Help Magazine Layout Reply with quote

Hello everyone!
I wanna know if OpenOffice can make Magazine layouts. If so then can anyone give me any tutorials? I would like to see some examples!

OpenOffice is Great!
Chris
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
keme

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Writer.
See http://www.tutorialsforopenoffice.org. Follow links to Writer tutorials
Tutorials of interest should be anything to do with templates, styles, frames and graphics.
lordalbel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll give it a try Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know about one magazine completely made on OOo (it is written in spanish):
http://www.linuxchillan.cl/?q=node/203
lordalbel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool..... I didn't know OOo can do that....
But i cant read Spanish. I need a better tutorial.

Thanks
Corfy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't use OpenOffice.org to actually design a magazine. Writing the articles? Sure. The actual layout? No. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but I would think OOo would be somewhat inflexible for something like that.

This isn't to take anything away from OpenOffice.org. It just isn't really designed to do something like that. Again, I'm not saying you can't do it, but I have a feeling it would be a lot harder than it should be. (For the record, Microsoft Word isn't designed for that kind of thing, either, although way too many people try to use it as such. I also think Microsoft Publisher isn't designed for that kind of thing, but many people would probably argue over that.)

Of course, I am coming from a newspaper background where I have worked with Adobe PageMaker and/or Quark XPress on a daily basis, which probably sways my thinking.

You might want to look at Scribus for magazine design ( http://www.scribus.net ). It is an open-source desktop publishing program that works in Windows, Mac, and Linux. I'm not an expert at the program yet, but I do use it to layout a bi-monthly newsletter for my homeowner's association. I still have a long way to go in learning it, but I do know it is very powerful. It doesn't have nearly the polish of Quark XPress or Adobe InDesign (or even Adobe PageMaker), but then personally, I can't see myself shelling out $700 for InDesign or Quark for a bi-monthly newsletter that I do for free (and, of course, the fact that Scribus works in Linux while Quark and InDesign doesn't helps somewhat in my decision as well, since I use Linux at home).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: