OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Printing an A3 document on an A4 printer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celestianpower

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Printing an A3 document on an A4 printer Reply with quote

Hello.

I have an A3, landscape OOo Writer document that I want to print on an A4 printer. Ideally, it would print two A4 sheets portrait, that I could then stick together. However, when I press print, all it does is print the top left hand bit of the document.

Can anyone help me?

CP
squenson
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celestianpower,

You could try exporting the document as a pdf, then print the pdf. (solution not tested)
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Printing an A3 document on an A4 printer Reply with quote

Celestianpower wrote:
Hello.

I have an A3, landscape OOo Writer document that I want to print on an A4 printer. Ideally, it would print two A4 sheets portrait, that I could then stick together. However, when I press print, all it does is print the top left hand bit of the document.

Can anyone help me?

Not enough information to go on. How did you set up the print job---what options did you use? "The top left hand bit" doesn't tell me much about what you're getting. Could you please be a little more detailed on what that means---are you getting a full page, for example, or seeing a miniature version of a page, or is it just cutting off the content?

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
Celestianpower

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Printing an A3 document on an A4 printer Reply with quote

foxcole wrote:
Celestianpower wrote:
Hello.

Can anyone help me?

Not enough information to go on. How did you set up the print job---what options did you use? "The top left hand bit" doesn't tell me much about what you're getting. Could you please be a little more detailed on what that means---are you getting a full page, for example, or seeing a miniature version of a page, or is it just cutting off the content?

Sorry.

1. Well, the default options - I don't know what options to press, that's why I'm asking Smile.
2. It's cutting off the content. I tried the PDF tip and got a miniature version, but at least I got everything.

If you need more information, please ask Smile.

CP
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Printing an A3 document on an A4 printer Reply with quote

Celestianpower wrote:
1. Well, the default options - I don't know what options to press, that's why I'm asking Smile.
2. It's cutting off the content. I tried the PDF tip and got a miniature version, but at least I got everything.

If you need more information, please ask Smile.

And earlier---
Celestianpower wrote:

<slap forehead>
Sorry, I had the wrong image of what you're trying to do.... I assumed you wanted two half-page documents printed on one full-page size paper, but you want two full-page documents reduced and printed on one half-page paper. Is that right? So it would just print part of the full-page document. I see.

Whether or not you can do this depends on the capabilities of your printer. The output you want is mainly the printer driver's job to format. If your printer can reduce pages and if it can print "2-up" (sometimes called 2 in 1 or other such terminology) then you can do what you want. But that's beyond Writer's control.

So, assuming your printer can do this, you'd want to tell it to print 2 pages per sheet, in landscape orientation but you might have to tell it to reduce the output 50%.

But not all printers have that capability, so then you'd need something like ClickBook http://www.clickbook.com/, to arrange the output for you. (I'm a ClickBook customer and am very pleased with its capabilities. But at around USD 50.00, it might be more than you want to spend if you don't do much printing.)

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
naquadah

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same problem as you; in fact i was trying to get answers from your thread. i'm new here so i dont know if the problem has been resolved, but i did find a way around this, though rather crudely lol.

open your document
export it as PDF
open it with photoshop
save as picture (make sure you save with large resolution and max quality)
open your picture, crop half and print
close and reopen your picture, crop the other half and print

hope this helps somewhat, and hope someone else can post a better way to do this.

cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: