OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Fax Sends Blanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davec51
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Fax Sends Blanks Reply with quote

I have been using OO for a couple of years, including sending faxes. Today, suddenly, when I bring a document to the screen and try to send a fax, the wizard comes up, proceeds normally, but when I preview the fax I see the cover page and blank sheets where the document should be. I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
acknak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What OS are you using? Have you changed anything recently--updated OOo, e.g.?
davec51
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acknak wrote:
What OS are you using? Have you changed anything recently--updated OOo, e.g.?

Windows XP, OpenOffice 2.2.0. I have installed XP fax software, have sent other faxes. As I said, the wizard comes up, but the fax pages are blank except for the cover page. This is a great mystery.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If nothing else works, Windows comes with its own fax program. I forget how to access it if it is not auto-installed into the print dialogue, since I use Winfax which easily sends beautiful WYSIWYG replicas of the document however I want to send it. In any event, you might try sending your fax using the Windows program which you already have ...somewhere in there.

David.
acknak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused.

You say that the Wizard comes up, but the File > Wizards > Fax only helps you create a personalized fax template document. You wouldn't normally use the wizard after the first time--you would use File > New > Templates > "My Fax Template".

Also, the fax template does not seem to include a place to attach a document--it's designed to produce a simple stand-alone fax message.

Let's be sure we're all talking about the same thing before we go too much further.
davec51
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acknak wrote:
I'm confused.

You say that the Wizard comes up, but the File > Wizards > Fax only helps you create a personalized fax template document. You wouldn't normally use the wizard after the first time--you would use File > New > Templates > "My Fax Template".

Also, the fax template does not seem to include a place to attach a document--it's designed to produce a simple stand-alone fax message.

Let's be sure we're all talking about the same thing before we go too much further.

I'm using the fax printer from within OpenOffice, so the wizard lets me put in the fax number, my number, and creates a cover page. Then, say, the document is three pages, it creates three pages. But they're blank.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fax Sends Blanks Reply with quote

davec51 wrote:
I but when I preview the fax I see the cover page and blank sheets where the document should be.

Does the document look okay in regular print preview?
Also in Tools>Options>OpenOffice.org Writer>Print, is a fax machine selected? (I have no idea whether that would affect the output you're seeing... just trying to cover the bases...)

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
acknak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm using the fax printer from within OpenOffice, ...

Ok, just so we're clear, this wizard has nothing to do with OOo.

As Fox asked, is the Print Preview in OOo correct?

Does OOo print to other printers correctly?

Do other applications print to the fax printer correctly?

Does the problem happen with all OOo documents--try a document that has faxed correctly in the past. Does that still work?

If all that fails to suggest what the problem is, you may need to rename or remove your OOo settings folder, which is \Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2
davec51
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Fax Sends Blanks -- Solved! Reply with quote

Thanks to all. I reinstalled the Windows XP fax software and all is well. I don't know what became twisted. Going back and retracing one's steps seems to be the way to go with software, as in many other aspects of life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: