OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Center text vertically on page

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucketoftruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Center text vertically on page Reply with quote

How do you center text vertically on a page? The work around I found is to create one giant table cell and type the text in there. The choose Format/Alignment/Center (not centered, that's horizontal). That's the only way I can get the option to center vertically, otherwise it's grayed out. TIA!

-Bucket
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can insert your text on a frame or a text box, and then centre that frame/box on the page
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGB wrote:
You can insert your text on a frame or a text box, and then centre that frame/box on the page

Or use a one-cell borderless table.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writer can't even import vertically centered text in Word documents. An enhancement request was submitted over 3 years ago and is still "unconfirmed". You may wish to register, add a comment and vote for the issue:

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=22614
bucketoftruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillP wrote:
Writer can't even import vertically centered text in Word documents. An enhancement request was submitted over 3 years ago and is still "unconfirmed". You may wish to register, add a comment and vote for the issue:

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=22614

Voted! Thanks for pointing out that it isn't implemented so I didn't scratch a hole in my head continuing to look for it.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Center text vertically on page Reply with quote

Perhaps this is an unnecessary question, but is it mixed within other material on the same page that is normal orientation?

Anyhow, another option might be in drawing /Text. The textbox can be rotated and font style and size chosen.

David.
bucketoftruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it's like a title page with Title, author, date, etc in the vertical and horizontal middle.
acknak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a title page, what you really want is just a lot of space above the title. Unless your style guidelines require a vertically-centered title, which I doubt.

You can add space above the title very easily with Format > Paragraph > Indents & Spacing > Space before. Set that to 4" or whatever you need.

Y'know, I've always wondered what the people requesting this feature are using it for, and now I'm guessing that a lot of them are using it inappropriately.
bucketoftruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acknak wrote:
For a title page, what you really want is just a lot of space above the title. Unless your style guidelines require a vertically-centered title, which I doubt.

Our guidelines say "Centered vertically and horizontally". This is for a pharmaceutical research company so there are strict guidelines (like TPS reports).

acknak wrote:
You can add space above the title very easily with Format > Paragraph > Indents & Spacing > Space before. Set that to 4" or whatever you need.

Y'know, I've always wondered what the people requesting this feature are using it for, and now I'm guessing that a lot of them are using it inappropriately.

People want it because MSWord does it. I'm trying to move our operations entirely away from the shackles of Microsoft. If putting in a silly little feature like "Center Vertically" is what it takes I feel that it's worth it.

Features like this aren't created in a vacuum, users provide feedback and if enough wheels squeak, then the devs can put some oil to it.
acknak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I knew I'd regret writing that Wink

I stand a corrected fool--10 seconds with Google and I see that even APA style requires a "vertically centered title".

OOo really needs to look at these things--there are a number of very common style guide features that are a huge PITA with Writer.

I've always thought of this like the vertical centering of a frame, that will automatically adjust to the height. It's clear to me now though, that the way a "Center vertically" button should work is to simply add 1/2 the page-margin-height to the "Space above" for the selected paragraph. There's no real need to make the paragraph "float" to the center, just a simple way to add the correct amount of space before the paragraph.
KJBinSTL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want to do this i.e. vertically justify text on a page or in a frame.
One other place where it is needed is for multi-page posters, where you want the text on each page centered vertically.
Another user provided a workaround that works when you only want it once e.g. for a header box or a title page: Insert a one-box table sized to take up the whole page or frame, and then tell the table to center the text vertically in each cell. This presumably won't work when you want each page centered vertically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: