OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

painfully slow slide transitions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mithion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: painfully slow slide transitions Reply with quote

I have had this problem since the 1.x series of OO and I'm currently running 2.1. On my laptop, the slide transitions in impress are ridiculously slow. Changing the speed of the transition to fast doesn't appear to have any significant effect. I have a theory for this problem, but I'm wondering if there is a work around. I'm running a SIS Mirage 2 integrated graphical processor with shared memory. I'm wondering if OO doesn't require dedicated video memory to run correctly. When it sees on my computer that I have no dedicated memory, it uses some software based rendering engine that just plain sucks. Does anybody else have problems with super slow slide transitions? Are there workarounds. This is an embarrassing problem when giving a presentation.
ftack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry but this is an issue that is not resolved up to this day. Slide transitions work slowly and jerky on any system. Animation of individual objects is better, although you'll never achieve the smoothness and professionalism you can achieve in "the big competitor's" software. You 'll have to live with it for the time being and set your ambitions according to the program's current possibilities.
Georges Morinet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Jerky slides show with Impress Reply with quote

I have a similar problem; even worst than yours. There is no problem to create slides, effects and transitions but as I view the presentation (full screen) it goes erratic, in slow motion and even stalls the computer to the point I have to switch it off manually. Curiously the same file works fine when exported to the format of competitor software.
My computer is a Dell Inspiron 6400 with 2.16GHz processor and 2.024Go RAM.
Full tests have been conducted under Dell's advises without any deffect beind detected.
cement_head

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this problem has been solved.

Ubuntu Feisty Fawn or Fedora Core 7

faster than a speeding powerpoint....
Kassie2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

What do you mean? How can I speed up my transition speed?
cement_head

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kassie2 wrote:
Quote:

What do you mean? How can I speed up my transition speed?

Go to UBUNTU website and download and install Feisty Fawn (it's a pre-release).

http://releases.ubuntu.com/feisty/

Good Luck
ftack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone will have to study that code of Ubuntu! With OOo 2.2 on Windows XP, slide transitions remain slow and jerky. Even with the effects set to "fast" it takes a whopping 7 seconds for an Uncover Left-down effect to complete. Sometimes, there are "jumps" in the effect, and the last 8th or so, the effect completes in a fraction of a second.
cement_head

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a Debian wide change, as FEDORA Core7 is reportedly faster than Ubuntu Feisty Fawn.

In any case, the problem is solved - which makes OpenOffice Impress impressive and infinitely more attractive solution to M$.
HansVdb
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: slide transitions painfully slow Reply with quote

Although rumour goes that ooo Impress performs really well on Feisty Fawn and FC7, my personal experience is that it never has been worse.

I'm looking at an Impress presentation of about 50 slides, all of them being printscreens. In total the presentation is 3.7MB, so that is not that bad.

Upon pressing the F5 key, the whole FC7 desktop seems to freeze for about 15 seconds after which the screen turns black for about 3s followed by a display of the first slide. Subsequent slide transitions take 5s. This makes it very hard to use in a real presentation setting.

The installed impress package is openoffice.org-impress-2.2.0-14.11 on an FC7 installation on Sony Vaio VGN-FE41S hardware. The slides were created in Windows XP ooo Impress.

What can I do to help to solve this?
acknak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using 2.2.1 from OO.org on Fedor 7 with no major problems. I would say the speed of transitions and animations is acceptable for me; better than in previous releases, but still not as good as PPT. Some of the animations are "clunky"--sluggish or uneven still.

I don't do a lot of screenshots, but I just tried a full-sized 1280x1204 on a slide, scaled to fit the slide as close as possible. Transitions to/from the slide were instant.

It may be that you have enough images to overflow the cache. If OOo has to fetch images from the original files, it will be slow indeed.

You can set the cache size under Tools > Options > OO.org > Memory.
HansVdb
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks acknak.

I did change the image cache from 9MB to 90MB, but there is no improvement whatsoever: > 15s for the first printscreen and 5s for each next transition to another printscreen.

There must be something else, ...
acknak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best test would be for someone else to run your file. That would tell us if it is something in OOo, the file, or the system.

If you can share the file somewhere, I'll give it a shot; if you want to keep it confidential, PM me with a download link or an email address.
HansVdb
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Acknak,

I have sent a link by PM. Hope you get it.

Thanks and best regards,
Hans
acknak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very smooth for me. There is a slight delay in advancing the slides manually: once a slide appears, it seems the keyboard is not responsive to advance to the next slide until maybe 1/2 second later, but the appearance of the next slide is very fast.

I set the transition to "None" and "auto after 0s" and let it run through all 50 slides (I presume this condition represents "as fast as possible to display the slides") The time was 30s start to finish.

I'm using 2.2.1 on Fedora 7; Athlon 1800, 1Gb ram. I have a decent ATI graphics card at 1280x1024x24, but I'm not using the ATI accelerated video driver.
HansVdb
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Acknak,

Thanks for trying it out.

My system differs from yours at least in the following ways:
- openofficeorg 2.2.0 from FC7. would you recommend installing 2.2.1?
- NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 GPU instead of ATI. Would there be a driver problem there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: